Solved

Can I remove '/pages/' from my URL on Shopify for SEO?

TheOneStopPetSt
Tourist
3 0 7

I need help removing /pages/ from URL for SEO

I currently use the Debut theme

For examples, I would like to change https://theonestoppetstore.org/pages/about-us to https://theonestoppetstore.org/about-us removing pages/

or removing /collections/ in https://theonestoppetstore.org/collections/all to https://theonestoppetstore.org/products

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Accepted Solution (1)

demib
Shopify Partner
132 13 62

This is an accepted solution.

As an SEO Geek I am (at least theoretically) with you. It would be nice to be able to add pages in the root. 

However, from a SEO point of view the value is actually very limited and comes from the fact that:

• Short URL's a generally better - they are easier to share (more shares and links) and less often break up or fail (less broken links)
  • Only include relevant words in the URL

So with that in mind the fixed Shopify structure does have a slight negative impact. But it is, important to say, very, very little and you can compensate for this by:

• Making sure the "handle" (the part of the URL you control) is short
  • Remove unnecessary stop words - keep only important keywords

The fixed part of the URLs (/pages/, /collections/ etc.) only take up very little space and add limited clutter. 

If you follow my advice above and then do everything else you can to optimize your site then I promose you great SEO results on the Shopify platform. All platforms have some limitations or details I - as a SEO Geek would love to be different, but the fact is that for most of the much more important SEO-factors Shopify is actually better than most platforms (such as speed).

SEO Geek since 1996, consultant author and public speaker. Admin of the Shopify SEO Facebook Group

Was your question answered? Kindly mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

Replies 11 (11)

KetanKumar
Shopify Partner
36839 3635 11972

@TheOneStopPetSt 

sorry that's not possible its Shopify standard code 

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
Want to modify or custom changes on store Hire me.
- Feel free to contact me on bamaniyaketan.sky@gmail.com regarding any help
Shopify Partner | Skype : bamaniya.sky
PSD to Shopify | Shopify Design Changes | Shopify Custom Theme Development and Desing | Custom Modifications In to Shopify Theme | SEO & Digital Marketing
TheOneStopPetSt
Tourist
3 0 7

@KetanKumarthanks for the reply

Could the Shopify developers make changes in the future so merchants are able to edit or remove URL directories like /pages/, /collections/?

It would seem hypocritical of Shopify not to allow such feature for Shopify merchants but wouldn't have /pages/ on its own website

KetanKumar
Shopify Partner
36839 3635 11972

@TheOneStopPetSt 

no sorry its not possible shopify doesn't allow to this 

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
Want to modify or custom changes on store Hire me.
- Feel free to contact me on bamaniyaketan.sky@gmail.com regarding any help
Shopify Partner | Skype : bamaniya.sky
PSD to Shopify | Shopify Design Changes | Shopify Custom Theme Development and Desing | Custom Modifications In to Shopify Theme | SEO & Digital Marketing

demib
Shopify Partner
132 13 62

This is an accepted solution.

As an SEO Geek I am (at least theoretically) with you. It would be nice to be able to add pages in the root. 

However, from a SEO point of view the value is actually very limited and comes from the fact that:

• Short URL's a generally better - they are easier to share (more shares and links) and less often break up or fail (less broken links)
  • Only include relevant words in the URL

So with that in mind the fixed Shopify structure does have a slight negative impact. But it is, important to say, very, very little and you can compensate for this by:

• Making sure the "handle" (the part of the URL you control) is short
  • Remove unnecessary stop words - keep only important keywords

The fixed part of the URLs (/pages/, /collections/ etc.) only take up very little space and add limited clutter. 

If you follow my advice above and then do everything else you can to optimize your site then I promose you great SEO results on the Shopify platform. All platforms have some limitations or details I - as a SEO Geek would love to be different, but the fact is that for most of the much more important SEO-factors Shopify is actually better than most platforms (such as speed).

SEO Geek since 1996, consultant author and public speaker. Admin of the Shopify SEO Facebook Group

TheOneStopPetSt
Tourist
3 0 7

@demibThanks for the advice, another one of my concerns is that it looks the way the current URL root structures are make the url look cheap and

unprofessional. You can go to any website of well known brand and there URL wouldn't have the type of root structure available for shopify merchants

https://theonestoppetstore.org/about-us looks a lot more professional than https://theonestoppetstore.org/pages/about-us. I've spoken to someone at Shopify and my concern has

been forwarded to Shopify's developers.

demib
Shopify Partner
132 13 62

As I said, I would love more flexibility too but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. You are not the first one to raise the issue.

But again, I would not worry too much. It is really a minor SEO-issue and I am pretty sure you will not loose any sales over this. 

diana-ac
Visitor
2 0 8

Hi there! Is it still the case now that  it's April 2022 that we can't remove /pages from our store link URL's?  Thanks!

commonmeter
Visitor
1 0 0

In other platforms like WordPress you can toggle the publishing structure. It would be a HUGE win in the SEO department to be able to do this on Shopify. Posting here in hopes someone in the development team reads this, not necessarily to negate your comment. Anything you can do to remove nested URLs from your site is a boost for internal structure, which in turn is a boost for SEO overall. Internal site architecture is insanely important and not being able to control what the bucket is called, at the very minimum, is a big loss.

campfirejo
Visitor
1 0 0

It seems that this is still not possible. My main issue with this is that my products have a QR code printed on them that takes users to mydomain.com/custom-url, so I need to have that page available on my domain. It seems to me that the only solution for this right now is to keep my Shopify store on a different subdomain and use a different content management system for pages on my main domain. Quite a pain to be honest.

KeyurHexa
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

I am also looking for the same for SEO purpose

Oislt
Shopify Partner
9 1 3