How to remove PayPal express checkout button from Checkout page

MORAD
Tourist
6 0 3

Hello 

can someone help me i have a brooklyn theme i want to  remove PayPal express checkout button from Checkout page and from product page and keep it in last checkout page 

here thank you 🙂 

ppl.pngppl2.png

Replies 64 (64)
MORAD
Tourist
6 0 3

yeah im a dev but shopify hide checkout.liquid so i was not able to fix the problem i dont want to pay anything for something like this , should be an option from shopify

Jasoliya
Shopify Expert
4808 621 1217

Hi,

Follow this:

1. Go to Online Store->Theme->Edit code
2. Sections->cart-template.liquid OR template->cart.liquid -> find bellow and hide or remove this whole condition.

{% if additional_checkout_buttons %}

Let me know if you  need help.

Want custom changes? hire me.
3 months of Shopify for $1/month. Look here.
Email us Or WhatsApp, Try our Free app for product bundles and Codify Order Cancel or Order edit
Want to get Free review and advice for sale on store ?? just text me here
MORAD
Tourist
6 0 3

already did it no solution 😞

MORAD
Tourist
6 0 3

NO SOLUTION ON THE POST THAT YOU GIVE ME ALREADY SAW IT

THANK YOU

ilja
Explorer
81 2 13

Did you find a way? If not just reply and I tell you how to do it.

MORAD
Tourist
6 0 3

not yet bro help me please

ilja
Explorer
81 2 13

You really need to follow this process 100 % exact. If it doesn't work after this step by step Guide you need to get it done by an expert.

Steps (Hide buttons from checkout Stage 1):

Note: In order for this customization to work, the buttons need to exist somewhere within the theme

• On some themes, the buttons will already exist within the cart-template.liquid file, which would look like this:

• If the code already exists, the Express Checkout should not display on the first stage of the Checkout

• If the code doesn't exist, you can follow this helpdoc to add the code to the cart page.

Steps (Stage 2)

Once the above code has been added to the cart-template.liquid file...

• Add the following code at the bottom of the theme.scss.liquid file to hide the Express Checkout buttons (or PayPal only)

Some themes will have a different class name. Check the cart-template.liquid file for additional_checkout_buttons in the file

• TO REMOVE PAYPAL BUTTON modify the code to this:

• DONE!

MORAD
Tourist
6 0 3

thank you iji thank you for the effort that was perfect but unfortunately didnt work for me 1st i dont have cart-template.liquid  i found it in cart.liquid  and  i did what you say but no result 

i have the brooklyn theme 😕 i mean broken theme hh

CheckoutLinks
Shopify Partner
51 1 2
Hi!

You can use the Express Checkout Hider app to remove the buttons but keep PayPal as a payment provider. It's really easy to use and no code involved!

You have 3 days of free trial use to make sure that it does what you want it to do - and if for any reason you cannot get it to work just shoot us an email through the app and we'll be sure to have you up and running!

You can find the app here: https://apps.shopify.com/hide-paypal
Checkout Links - Create shopable links to sell anywhere
App Store - Demos - Website
MeyerLion
Tourist
9 0 2

Hello Family, 

I have the same problem. 

Actually, the paypal express checkout is not shoing in my cart, but in the first page of the checkout. 

How can i remove it ? 

Help needed please. And i can't paye a plugin, i'm a beginner. 

Thank you 🙂 

Jasoliya
Shopify Expert
4808 621 1217

You need to follow ilja's solution. 

Email us Or WhatsApp, Try our Free app for product bundles and Codify Order Cancel or Order edit
MeyerLion
Tourist
9 0 2

Thank you. 

Is this solution going to make the button disapear from both the checkout and the cart ? or disapear from the checkout and aprear in the cart ?

I acctually need it to disapear from both. 

Thank you.

Jasoliya
Shopify Expert
4808 621 1217

It will remove from both may be.

MeyerLion
Tourist
9 0 2

Hello, 

It actually works for both cart and checkout page. 

Thank you guys !!

verdestore
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi

I also have the same problem and am using Brooklyn theme.

I just can't remove this from the first page of the checkout.  Have followed all the instructions that you listed and have removed the additional cart code in liquid.cart.

but still here. would love to remove this express checkout banner.

thankyou

cart checkout express.JPG

Jasoliya
Shopify Expert
4808 621 1217

Send your store url

JSLee
Shopify Partner
9 1 4

I tried the above edits but it doesn't work for checkout page.

Quentin12EH
Visitor
3 0 0

Same problem for me... It isn't possible to remove the button from the cart page.. Express paypal will always be present.

Can i have some help?

JSLee
Shopify Partner
9 1 4

I did figure out the issue with the store I was working on. For the solution to work, you must have additional_checkout_buttons in the cart template. When you have this block of code in the cart template (or section), you can use css to hide it and it will also not be on checkout page. If the block doesn't exist on the cart page, the buttons will show on the checkout page.

See this tutorial for the full instruction 
https://shopify.dev/tutorials/customize-theme-add-more-checkout-buttons-to-cart-page

{% if additional_checkout_buttons %}
  <div class="additional-checkout-buttons">
    {{ content_for_additional_checkout_buttons }}
  </div>
{% endif %}

Quentin12EH
Visitor
3 0 0
Hello, this tutorial is for add a button and not hide it...
I dont find a solution for the moment..
JSLee
Shopify Partner
9 1 4

@Quentin12EH 

Sorry if I wasn't clear. 

@ilja and @Jasoliya provide the correct solutions. For the solutions to work, you must first follow the shopify tutorial on adding the buttons exactly how it was shown in the tutorial, then you can follow this step by step guide to hide the buttons on cart page: https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Design/How-to-remove-PayPal-express-checkout-button-from-Che...

If the code does not exist on the cart page, the buttons will show up in checkout. This is mentioned in shopify tutorial here: https://shopify.dev/tutorials/customize-theme-add-more-checkout-buttons-to-cart-page#show-checkout-b... 

If you want the additional checkout buttons to show up on the checkout page, then you'll have to remove the buttons from your cart page.

I hope this clear things up.

Quentin12EH
Visitor
3 0 0
I've already try all this tutorials and it doesn't work.. always the same
problem at this address : 12ème Homme...Thanks for your help
myhealthywoe
Excursionist
25 0 12

What if the code I see in the cart.liquid file is similar but not the same?

{% if additional_checkout_buttons and settings.cart_additional_buttons %}
<div class="additional-checkout-buttons">{{ content_for_additional_checkout_buttons }}</div>
{% endif %}

I have tried adding the following code to the theme.css.liquid with no success

.additional-checkout-button--paypal{
display: none !important;
}

simonski
Shopify Partner
145 11 55

Ilja's solution is only working for Chrome "normal mode" in my case unfortunately, but not in chrome incognito mode, and not with firefox.

I have no clue why again I see this damned Paypal express checkout button.

The class of the checkout buttons in the cart is "cart__additional_checkout". So I hid it with css. I checked my cart page with "inspect" on firefox, the div is there but hidden, as intended.

.cart__additional_checkout{
display: none !important;
}

SmartProse
Visitor
1 0 4

Like many others, I tried the code exactly and it does not work for us. I tried many many other hacks, too, to no avail.

Also tried in Customize Theme Settings, Global Settings, unchecking "Show dynamic checkout button," but no good.

This year we upgraded our theme. I wonder if this hack is working for those on older themes. But it does seem now that Shopify overly restricts the checkout page. They should allow the following for checkout page:

- easily changing font to be brand consistent with font on rest of site

- make express checkout buttons much smaller

- change sizes of contact information fields (On laptop/desktop, there is no need for address line 1 and address line 2, which is optional for apt/suite #s, to take up two separate lines. Same for city: it should be on the same line as State and Zip.) By reducing the vertical height of these forms, we will have less abandoned checkout. Right now the checkout seems overwhelming with too much area for things that need filling in.

Thank you!!

GreatPriceHere
Visitor
3 0 0

Shopify promised to get it done by December 2020.  Is anyone aware of removal "Paypal Express" from checkout contact information  ? 

simonski
Shopify Partner
145 11 55
UNESS
Visitor
1 0 0

Guys i just want to advice you with an app that finally solve this for me 

it is hideout app , i am not advertising it just as i tried many many solutions that not working especially the button that is in checkout page

and finally solve it 

simonski
Shopify Partner
145 11 55

@UNESS Thank you so much for sharing this, Hideout solved the problem for me as well, for mobile and desktop!!

jadhanif
Visitor
1 0 0

I still haven’t found the solution. Anyone using Dawn theme is able to remove the bloody Paypal button? Pls share ideas for solution. 

baincol25
Visitor
1 0 0

Me time with Shopify is now over, they actually do not care anymore !!!  Typical Coporate GREED

GreatPriceHere
Visitor
3 0 0

Let me know if you will find better Ecommerce platform. Shopify is no longer pay attention to costumers needs. 

I-HATE-THIS-ECO
Tourist
3 0 1

Better Ecommerce is Square Space.. I moved to Shopify only because I need 3 languages, and when I 1st moved to Shopify I wanted to CRY.. ITS SOoooooooo bad... just give trial will Square Space!!!!

Good Luck..

As soon as Square Space has this option of more than one language Im SO OUT of here........

rviparmar18
Shopify Partner
23 0 9

Hi,

I am using Startup theme. I could not found {{ 'cart.general.checkout' | t }}, there is {{ 'cart.general.submit' | t }}. see below image.

Screenshot.png 

I have added CSS in my theme.css.liquid file to hide, but this is not working.

Please help.

Thank you.

Ravi Parmar
Harrysberro
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi I am also using the Brooklyn theme and would like to remove the Paypal express checkout button ONLY from the Product page. 

And keep it in the checkout.

Too bad it's not possible to remove quickly like in on other themes.. But anyway how can I do it manually ?

simonski
Shopify Partner
145 11 55

I had a huge problem in my shop. I just found out why. It was the HideOut App to hide the Paypal Express checkout button. Everyone who installed HideOut App should check if you have the same problem. Run Mozilla Firefox in incognito mode. Put sth in your cart and try to reach checkout. In my case, the cart was emptied with the click on "Check Out" button. I lost many costumers like this, as this also happens with certain versions of Safari and chrome!! I just solved it with a friend who is App developer, he checked the script that is loaded with HideOut, and said it's very dangerous what is written there. You should never do it like this, as a text is transferred in a script. Very endangered for hacking methods....

If you want to remove it, first disable to Hide the Checkout button for cart and checkout, AFTER this disable the app, AFTER this uninstall, AFTER this remove the line of code in theme.liquid with "var hpp =" ...

myhealthywoe
Excursionist
25 0 12
I am having the same problem!!!! I have a lot of clients complaining about
this!!!!!!!

I am going to remove this app right now, do you know if deleting the app
will remove the code or you need to talk to a developer to remove it?

Does your friend found a way to remove the paypa button?
simonski
Shopify Partner
145 11 55

Remove the app as I wrote in my last post. My friend checked the script that is executed. If you do as I mentioned, the script of the app is not started anymore. I told him to develop sth to hide the button, think he's too busy with his apps already 🙂

Maily
Visitor
2 0 1

Good afternoon, I need help please. I don't have theme.scss.liquid, another fragment called style.scss.liquid appears. Please me.

Michael180
Tourist
4 0 45

Seriously why hasn't this been solved by Shopify yet? I mean I know why: they are getting paid by paypal, shop pay and google pay to have those buttons there. But thats not the point. Its costing us as ecommerce website owners customers. Its a classic case of let's increase our own revenues at the expense of the customer. 

Listnen shopify: you are a platform that facilitates sales. Rule number 1 in sales: make it as easy as possible for your customer to pay! No matter how persuasive you are, how convincing you are, how well you understand your customers needs, how good you are at solving them. If you cannot close the deal, it's all for nothing. And closing the deal starts with getting your customer to finish the transaction.

Well Shopify misrably failed at that part.

Seriously in the Netherlands for example; nobody uses paypal, or shop pay or google pay. The payment provider Ideal holds 90% of the market here. But yet you insist on these stupid express checkout buttons.

Michael180
Tourist
4 0 45

Finally I managed to solve this problem by going into my shopify settings > payments > payment providers > manage. In this menu I disabled shop pay, paypal, apple pay and google pay. This solved the problem for me and the express checkout buttons are now no longer visible on the information page of the checkout process. However, they are also no longer available as payment options on the final screen of the checkout process.
This is really an unnecessary workaround, and shopify should simply make an option to disbale these express checkout buttons without losing these payment options at the final checkout screen.

I-HATE-THIS-ECO
Tourist
3 0 1

I hate SHOPIFY, I only have coz I need to have more than one language, everyone should move to Square Space 1000 Million times better......

Alex007
Visitor
1 0 1

Hey Ilja, 
thanks for your effort but it is not working on my side. Do you have another idea? 

Superhero
Visitor
1 0 1

After searching for so long I figured it out. I used this video as a guide and it worked. It's a massive help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bOEUpdCkxk