Is it possible to create more folders/directories?

Solved
robstao
Excursionist
14 0 6

I noticed it can become quite difficult managing all my assets correctly within shopify, (icons, images, scripts etc.)
I would love the idea to be able to correctly organize my assets. I use the themekit development tools to update and work on my theme, separating it into a staging and live environment. 

If you look at the following pictures, the left is my development environment. I create a new folder called 'images' to test in hopes that when I deploy my theme it will overwrite and create this folder- but to no success. It seems everything is still shoved and stuffed in assets. Like just simply separating my styling code out of assets would be SO NICE. 

Anyone know any solutions?

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 11.09.32 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-07 at 11.09.05 AM.png

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
3419 224 657

This is an accepted solution.

@robstao wrote:

I use the themekit development tools to update and work on my theme, separating it into a staging and live environment. 

What your talking about is a build process for when you deploy.

Themekit's focus is specifically sync related moving files from and to for themes.  And a shopify theme has a specific top level folder structure. See themekit issue 301 which basically makes it ignore things not obeying that structure.

So even if  /images was inside assets then themekit would upload into the remote /assets but download would dump everything into local /assets ignoring subfolders.

Shopify Slate is more a build tool, though it's targeted at new themes does that. You'd have to do some work to migrate your current theme into it's process.

If your comfortable with node js some build tools are grunt, gulp , webpack.

A simple process is per tool make them not just export to folders like images/ico, images/slides, etc but also to something like /deliverables,  or /deploy, etc.

This is also useful for renaming march-fall-season-bluevariant-final-updated-final.png into slideshow-1.png

Then that folders content is copied into to /assets.

Join the discussion - What was learned this Black Friday?

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a ☕ Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
3419 224 657

This is an accepted solution.

@robstao wrote:

I use the themekit development tools to update and work on my theme, separating it into a staging and live environment. 

What your talking about is a build process for when you deploy.

Themekit's focus is specifically sync related moving files from and to for themes.  And a shopify theme has a specific top level folder structure. See themekit issue 301 which basically makes it ignore things not obeying that structure.

So even if  /images was inside assets then themekit would upload into the remote /assets but download would dump everything into local /assets ignoring subfolders.

Shopify Slate is more a build tool, though it's targeted at new themes does that. You'd have to do some work to migrate your current theme into it's process.

If your comfortable with node js some build tools are grunt, gulp , webpack.

A simple process is per tool make them not just export to folders like images/ico, images/slides, etc but also to something like /deliverables,  or /deploy, etc.

This is also useful for renaming march-fall-season-bluevariant-final-updated-final.png into slideshow-1.png

Then that folders content is copied into to /assets.

Join the discussion - What was learned this Black Friday?

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a ☕ Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

View solution in original post