Is there a simple way to add customer notes on product pages?

InfinityParkour
Excursionist
17 0 4

Can I add a text field for customers to add notes on the product page? I am doing personalized items, and I'd like to have a title for the text box and a text box, so customers can provide certain information on how they want the products to look as part of the personalization process. I am using the Minimal theme. This seems simple, but any app that includes a text box also includes a lot more, all for a lot of money, at least that I could find. 

Thank you!

P.S. I know the grammar is terrible. I'm tired.

Replies 51 (51)

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hi, @InfinityParkour!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. I understand having apps in your store can add up when there's an extra cost attached. I've raised a feature request on your behalf so our team can consider adding these fields in future releases. This is not a guarantee, but it can certainly help push ideas forward. In the meantime, we do have some workarounds that will help you add in a text box.

Depending on how comfortable you are with coding, we do have a guide that walks you through step by step how to add custom fields to your products pages. You can check it out here: https://bit.ly/2ZchoHE. Keep in mind that this does require you to edit some of the stores coding. As such, it's not supported by Shopify, meaning we're not able to fix it if something goes wrong. Whilst the guide does walk you through step by step, please keep that in mind. If you're unsure, I'd recommend duplicating your theme first and trying the customisation there so it does not affect your live store if something does go wrong. You can have up to 20 themes downloaded at any given time. If you choose this option, as you're changing the code yourself, you won't be out of pocket at all.

If the above option isn't right for you, then our next two options are Shopify Experts and Apps. Shopify Experts is a marketplace of developers who partner with Shopify. You can browse experts from different areas as well as post a job for experts to provide you quotes on. This is a paid service, but unlike apps, it's a once-off charge, rather than a monthly cost.

For apps, you likely won't find an app that just adds a text box. This will be why you're finding apps with many features. With that being said, if custom coding and experts aren't for you, I'd recommend checking out Uploadery. Although it does come with a monthly charge, it's a great app that I use in my own store. It allows you to add a text box, and also upload images and files. If you're looking at something cheaper, Infinite Options is also a great option by the same company who makes Uploadery.

If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to let me know.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

InfinityParkour
Excursionist
17 0 4
Thank you for your response! I'll definitely check out the coding walk
through - I'll be sure to duplicate first. Thank you for the detailed
information!
kgirlgang
Visitor
1 0 6

Has this been updated yet for us to add notes on product pages?

I am coming from WIX and WIX had the simple option to just add a note box. Hoping someone can walk me through this as I offer custom products and need this option. I am a little surprised that Shopify doesn't have this from what I can tell thus far.

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hi, @kgirlgang!

At this stage, we do have a checkbox to add notes to the cart page, but not for product pages. I'll make sure I add your name to the feedback I've raised for this so our team is aware that you're also interested in seeing a note option for products.

In the meantime, I encourage you to look at the suggestions I added in my above reply in regards to app add ons and hiring someone to code these changes in for you.

Thanks again for the feedback.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Glitz_N_Glory
Visitor
1 0 6

Hello! Can you please add my name to those requesting a personalization box? I am going with Infinite for now, because I do not have knowledge of coding, but its a bit pricey. Thank you!!

Crank
Tourist
4 0 1

Hello,

Please add my name to the list as well as this is a very intriguing addition to have to our product pages.

Cheers, C

JennyJenny
Tourist
5 0 2

Pls add my name. Tks!

brookedewey
Visitor
1 0 2

Add me to the list too please.

dianadrake
Visitor
1 0 1

Please add me to the list as well! So needed!

xmart2k
Visitor
1 0 1

I would need this feature also

Thanks!

pressdbydemi
Visitor
2 0 1

I have a shop where I offer customizations, can you please add me to the list as well. It would make taking custom orders so much easier. I am not good with coding.

VanessaOj
Visitor
1 0 1

Please can you add my name to the list too? Thanks! 

Laeglam
Visitor
1 0 1

Hello please add my name

LinWiz
Visitor
1 0 0

Please also add my name to this feature request.

I'm new to Shopify and see this request has been popular for a couple years at least and still no progress. Long overdue by the sound of things. 

sparklesrainbow
Visitor
2 0 0

I would also like to be added to the list. Upload photo or file and notes section for names on product page would  be an amazing basic feature.

KristenDScott
Excursionist
33 1 47

I came from Network Solutions, and while their websites look dated and old, their dashboard and the ability to customize product pages far surpasses Shopify. I was very disappointed that on product pages I am not able to turn on or off, or even add an additional text box as needed compared to NS. I am okay with the text box on the Shopping Cart page, but to be honest, so many of my customers miss seeing the box (even though I colored it gold and put in custom example text) that I think there is a design flaw that should be addressed (I use Brooklyn right now).  You can check out the store here: www.celticteashoppe.com

My current issue is that I've been able to successfully add the text box to any page now, but it screws up the product photos. They are all big now, instead of one large one and several small ones below it. It works fine on a phone when turned vertical, but when turned horizontal or on a computer, the pictures are big, and the text gets big, too. Very strange. (please see photos attached)

I'm fairly jaded about when Shopify will consider this feature, because it's been many years from what I hear since folks started asking for other features to be added, and they have yet to be (being able to consolidate, or delete, duplicate accounts for instance). I hope this feature gets some attention, because if Shopify really wants us to hop on the customization bandwagon, we need these text boxes to be simple and work correctly with our templates.

Correct layoutCorrect layoutIncorrect layout, with text box templateIncorrect layout, with text box template

LoyaltyLeather
Visitor
1 0 1

We would also greatly benefit from a product page-specific customer notes field. Can you please add my name to the list as well? Any updates on this?

Thank you so much!

KrissyKozmix
Visitor
1 0 0

I would definitely like to be added as well 

PantherLane
Visitor
1 0 0

Please Add me to the list as well!

diego_ezfy
Shopify Partner
2935 562 883

I'm not sure whether this solves your problem, but it's worth a try:

1. In your Shopify Admin go to: online store > themes > actions > edit code
2. Find Sections > product-template.liquid 
3.a. Paste the code below (found on step 3.b) wherever you prefer. On the Debut theme, I have pasted it above the ATC button.

To find the ATC button, you typically want to search for "submit" (with the quotes included). In some themes it can also be in a different file.

diego_ezfy_0-1632293366002.png

3.a. Here is the code you need to paste above the button:

<div class="customDescription line-item-property__field">
              <label for="custom_description">Notes</label>
              <textarea id="custom_description" name="properties[Notes]"></textarea>

<style>
                .customDescription{
                  max-width: 100%;
                  width: 100%;
                  margin-bottom: 20px;
                }
                .customDescription > *{
                  max-width: 100%;
                  width: 100%;
                }

.customDescription > textarea{
                  min-height: unset !important;
                  height: 100px;
                  max-height: unset !important;
                }
              </style>
			</div>

The value 20px is the bottom spacing, you can adjust it to your liking.

Here is a live demo of how the end result looks like.

I'm not sure whether this is what you guys are looking for but I hope it helps.

Kind regards,
Diego

◦ Follow my blog & youtube for coding tutorials. Most questions in here are already answered there!
◦ Top #4 Shopify Expert, 24h reply. Click here to hire me.
Download copy/paste code snippets that can replace most apps.

na2el
Tourist
4 0 1

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, IT WORKS PERFECT 

Although I am using a Brooklyn theme, I could add the text box and adjust the size of it on the product page (As I couldn't find  'submit' I have added the codes after the 'quantity')

Best Regards

Nael

DaniBN
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi there, thanks for sharing this. It doesn't seem to be working for our theme. We're using Prestige. Any idea how to add this on this theme? We followed the steps you've outlined here, but the box doesn't appear anywhere. Your help would very much be appreciated. Thanks.

flwrgrrrrl
Visitor
1 0 1

Thank you so much for this solution!

This worked for me and I was able to create an alternate product template with a notes field.

My question is what happens to the note after the order is placed? I ran a test order with notes added to the new field and the note did not appear in the order.

nyco93
9 0 0

Hi there! I successfully added it, but did someone find out where the note goes? There is nothing in the order? Where does it go? 

L1johns1
Visitor
1 0 0

Where do the notes go? 

oilychile
Excursionist
23 0 8

LEGEND, works perfectly on debut theme. If you want to add the note field to only specific products you can use this:

{% if product.handle == 'my-super-product' %}
... add the bits of customizations ...
{% endif %}

Also you can make as many as you can making sure that you edit the code accordingly.

The notes will appear in the order under the specific product 

helenrefalo
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey this works great thank you! Is there a way to turn it on for some products and off for others? Thanks so much!

Ketzirah
Visitor
1 0 0

FINALLY! Thank you. This is perfect.

DigitalNomads
Shopify Partner
3 0 2

Thanks! How do you make it required (mandatory)?

THH-Handmade
Tourist
3 0 1

Personalization is in high demand adding a title and box to type a note for a product should be standard issue for any theme. Please add my name to the list.

lowcountrylight
Visitor
1 0 0

Has this been updated to have individual products to include a notes section for custom orders? This would be extremely helpful! Thank you please add my name. 

Merch22
Visitor
2 0 0

Can you add my name to the list? I don’t see an option to add notes to the product page yet, but please let whomever know, this is still a much requested feature!

BCBGB
Visitor
1 0 5

The option of adding a text field to a product page would be ideal and give some great flexibility to the offering from Shopify.

Please add me to the list of customers interested in this feature.

MARKET-Dallas
Visitor
1 0 0

Please add me to the list of those who would like to see this feature of a notes section on product pages added. Unfortunate that this update was made to shopping carts only when there are so many requests to have this added in the last year...

DaniBN
Visitor
3 0 0

Would love to be able to have this feature. I own a store that makes on-demand and made-to-measure clothing pieces, so we desperately need this, as our customers are always asking where should they input the measurement details, as it's not quite clear. Please add my name to the list as well. Thanks and hopefully this feature comes out soon. 

Best, 

Dani

OnyxHandmade
Visitor
1 0 0

please please let me know also...

i would Loooooove this feature  for custom signet rings i'm about to launch 🙂

Moncollier
Tourist
9 0 7

I need this as well! Thank you

DaisyPlusShop
Visitor
1 0 0

Add me too please! My items have 45 different variations, I need a little box for customer notes.

Havva
Visitor
1 0 0

Add me to that list please !! 

Mehrab
Visitor
1 0 0

the above link doesnt work

AshleyBrown
Visitor
1 0 0

Just wondering if there has been any update? 

It's a widely used function on other platforms. It would be great to have incorporated into themes so an add-on and coding isn't needed for those who have little knowledge.

Merch22
Visitor
2 0 0

I am just seeing this in 2023 and am hoping there is now an option for customers to leave customization requests on product page. Would make my life so much more efficient and easier!

biznazz101
Shopify Partner
487 48 87

There isn't. I'm almost certain some of these very basic features are intentionally left out in an effort to get users in the Shopify app store downloading apps. Just my opinion. Many apps whole premise are based around the ability to add this and other simple features. Having said that there are some easy ways to do this with custom code. See here for anyone looking for solution.

Don't hesitate to reach out for more help with your store.
SEE OUR TASK STORE or check us out via our profile! FREE STORE AUDIT
ArtDept1
Tourist
5 0 3

Hi! Any updates on adding a text field to product pages? We think it would be a great way to keep track of details, price changes or any notes between staff members. Really hoping you guys can come through with this considering how many new updates there have been lately!

GmaKelly
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Can you tell us what themes the text box app works with 

kateillus
Visitor
3 0 0

I switched over from Etsy and I really miss this option PLSSSSS

Gracegraydesign
Visitor
1 0 1

Has this been updated yet? I also need this option on my products for customization. It’s been almost two years and lots of people requesting ! 

rockincarpets
Visitor
1 0 1

Also wondering the same... Its been 2 years since this question was asked and I as well need the option to add a text box under some of the products. I tried messing with some of the code before but got pretty confused. An app is not currently in the budget right now.

Thanks for all of the help!

littlenew117
Visitor
1 0 0

Add me too, please!  Just don't want to buy an expensive plugin for this simple feature 😭