Can you set up multiple languages in a Shopify store?

Jone1
Shopify Partner
27 0 8

Can anybody help me to set up the other languages in our store? I want our store can translate to other languages.

Thank you in advance

Replies 5 (5)

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

Hey @Jone1,

This is a great question. Often merchants need to have their sites translated to allow customers in different regions to be able to navigate in their language.

The best way to have your store in multiple languages is with an app called Langify:

Langify has an automatic language detection where it will redirect customers to their preferred language automatically based on their location. It also has a feature that allows the customers to choose a language themselves should you wish to go down that route also.

Langify fills that gap by allowing store owners to easily provide multilingual storefronts including the following features:

• Automatic language detection (customers will be redirected to their preferred language automatically)

• Customizable language switcher (customers can choose their preferred language manually)

• Multiple domains per language (translated storefronts can be hosted on specific domains)

• Full SEO support including the translation of Meta Tags (when using multiple domains per language)

• Import/Export of translations (CSV, gettext, XLIFF, JSON)

• Support for all kinds of languages including Right-To-Left languages

• Image translation support

Apps are generally the go-to solution for a feature like this, rather than the option of having multiple stores. With apps like Langify, it generally detects what country the user is visiting from and automatically adjusts the store to the language most commonly associated with that country. Langify does also give the option to have customers manually choose the language they would like to see the store in. For further assistance with this app, I highly suggest reaching out to the developers via the support link on the Langify app store listing.

If you wanted to head down the path of having multiple stores, you can enable multiple languages from your Shopify admin to create separate URLs for your translated content. When customers land on a translated URL, your store automatically shows the translated version if translations exist. You can read more about this below:

What languages are you wanting to expand into? Have you decided on how you want to bring traffic into your store from other countries at all? If you're not too sure, we have a fantastic resource in our blogs that can help with setting everything up to sell internationally but also some marketing tips right here:

If you have any questions please feel free to thread those below.

Cheers!

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Jone1
Shopify Partner
27 0 8

Hi Moira,

Thank you so much but can I set up a languages manual without any apps?

Can I do that?

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

@Jone1

You can manually enable multiple languages from your Shopify admin to create separate URLs for your translated content. When customers land on a translated URL, your store automatically shows the translated version if translations exist.

To sell in multiple languages, you need to have the following:

• A Shopify plan that provides the option to sell in multiple languages (Basic Shopify, Shopify, or Advanced)

• A theme that's compatible with selling in multiple languages. All the free themes from Shopify are compatible. You might need to update your theme for it to be compatible with selling in multiple languages. If you're using a third-party theme, then you can contact your theme developers to check if it's compatible.

• A theme that has a language selector. Only the newest versions of the Dawn, Debut, Brooklyn, and Express themes have built-in language selectors. If you're using another theme or an older version of the theme, then you can add a language selector using the Geolocation app by Shopify.

Please take a read of our guide below for instructions on setting up to sell in multiple languages:

Keep in mind though that product URLs and tags to manage your products in the admin won't translate. However, those will have a very minimal impact on your customers.

I do hope this helps!

richbrown_staff
Shopify Staff
603 87 146

Hi there,

Rich from Shopify here. To translate your store without using an app you can use the Translation CSV export / import functionality, found in Settings > Store Languages once you have added a translated language.

You will also need to add language switchers which, dependent on your theme, are found in the Online Store Editor in 'Footer'.

Please let me know if you need any more help, best of luck with your multilingual selling experience.

Rich

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

Thanks so much for your reply and support @richbrown_staff! Super beneficial for others who may come across this thread.