newly licensed theme and sync

abranddeal
6 0 0

Hi,
have been advised that over a week ago, freelancer had used an unlicensed theme to build my website which he said was his friends theme.
Unaware of this as had paid for him his price to build website.
Since other week, now aware that he's not willing to come to the party and pay for the license so have paid myself as easier option due to existing theme capabilities.
Please advise if all I have to do is publish the website with the new theme in place, so that it syncs with the existing; same theme?
I don't want to download the saved (unlicensed theme) zip file of the existing theme if its not required as want the website intact to make site live.
My current 'theme' details show the name of my branded website name; which was built on same theme and the Theme name and Shopify ‘theme tab below shows the paid for 'theme name and wording; not customized yet. *Do I click on the drop-down publish tab only or do I need to upload theme?
Appreciate s/o to give clear instructions.
Thank you

0 Likes
Ivy
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
132 21 18

Hello @abranddeal!

Ivy here from Shopify.

Firstly let me say I am sorry to hear about how this freelancer left you in a difficult position regarding your store's theme. Was this person hired via our Shopify Experts Marketplace? If so, we can investigate this on your behalf as this would be in breach of our terms and conditions for Shopify Experts.

As for your query regarding publishing the new, licensed theme over the old unlicensed one: I would like to double check this. Can you please tell me the name of the theme? You can find this by entering the theme editor, then click "theme actions" - the name and version of the theme will be displayed here. 

Looking forward to your response - Ivy. 

Ivy | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
abranddeal
6 0 0
Hi Ivy,
Thanks for your email.
I've since paid for the theme to speed process up as the freelancer (from outside Shopify), didn't want to come to the party and pay or contribute to the theme price, he was only prepared to build another website on a basic version which would have cost me close to the Prestige theme, with the add-ons required to meet what I currently have.
I'm close to opening so doing what I can to soon open store.
Thanks again.
Regards
Tania
0 Likes
Ivy
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
132 21 18

Hi @abranddeal  - I just wanted ti check back here to see how things are going for you? You, mentioned you paid the theme fee for this theme, did this then allow you to publish and launch your store? Congratulations on getting to launch by the way!  

Can I ask - what are your plans for your store? Do you have a marketing plan in place at the moment? I’d recommend taking a read over our marketing docs for further information. If you need expert help, why not seek out a Shopify marketing & sales expert.

Thanks, Ivy. 

Ivy | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes