How can I adjust the pop-up size of my PDFs in a blog post?

thebluehound
Explorer
52 0 10

Hi all, I'm trying to add 2 pdf 'Holiday Guides' to my Shop's blog.  I creates 2 PDF's via Canva (each about 20 image pages).  I uploaded each pdf to 'files' in Admin and copied the links.  I created a new post and inserted each link (via URL tab of insert image) into the same post.  The cover image for both show but without linking to the full PDF so I re-inserted the link to each image.  

So now it works, but when you click on the image, the PDF opens more than full page (with the ability to scroll through the images).  How can I control the size of the pop-up PDF to something that is more visually manageable/appealing?  

Thanks for any help!

Replies 4 (4)

ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

Typically you wouldn't want to insert links to non-image files in the Files section of the admin via the insert image button of the editor but rather insert them as links. If you insert a link to a PDF via the insert image button, the link will get wrapper with an HTML img tag and that won't work for PDFs.

Just insert the PDF URLs as links and when you then click on them in the blog post they should open up either inside the browser or in an external PDF viewer, depending on your system's and/or browser's settings.

★ Smart Upgrades, Tips and Tutorials for Shopify themes: cartpunk.com
Did my solution work? Help other Community members easily find the correct solution and apply it to their own stores by marking it as the Accepted Solution and giving it a Thumbs Up
thebluehound
Explorer
52 0 10
Hi, Thanks.

I don’t think I’m quite understanding (I’m not very tech savvy).

I uploaded two multi-page PDF’s to the files section (under the Admin settings dashboard). It created links for both which I copied. I then went to my blog (under online store/still admin) and created a new blog post. In the body of the blog post, the link icon is faded out, therefore not allowing me to add a link that way. I can paste the link directly into the body, but it’s just the text of the link (inactive).

The only way I can add my URL link in by adding it through insert image. When I add the URL there, it brings up the 1st image of the PDF (there are 20 pages in each PDF). For some reason, it doesn’t attach the entire PDF (just the cover image). If I click on that image, I can insert a link as that faded icon is now ‘available’ to select (it’s the exact same URL link that I added under insert image). It’s only then that the full PDF can be accessed by clicking. The full PDF shows in a separate viewer, just hyper-scaled. So if I can manage the size of that image, I should be OK. Any suggestions there?

Joe
ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

Again, inserting a PDF by using the insert image dialog won't really work (it actually doesn't work at all for me, so I'm not sure we're doing the same thing).

Try entering some text in the editor, then selecting that. That should make the link button in the editor toolbar available. Click it and paste the PDF's URL you copied from the Files section in the admin. That should then link the text you entered to that PDF.

Instead of entering text you could also paste an image, e. g. a screenshot of the first page of the PDF, and then add the link to the PDF to that.

How the PDF then shows in your external PDF viewer is entirely up to that viewer's settings and it will be different for different people.

★ Smart Upgrades, Tips and Tutorials for Shopify themes: cartpunk.com
Did my solution work? Help other Community members easily find the correct solution and apply it to their own stores by marking it as the Accepted Solution and giving it a Thumbs Up
thebluehound
Explorer
52 0 10
Thanks. I think that I’ll use your suggestion of inserting a picture and then linking it to the PDF file. Joe