Personalization with add on

stazelstyles
1 0 0

I want to add a personalization text box that has added cost. I have tried an app that just made my site glitch so I am reluctant to try another. Is there a way to add this myself?

0 Likes
Moira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
208 38 38

Hey, @stazelstyles!

This is Moira from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for posting! I understand you are wanting to implement a personalization text box without using an app, I'd be more than happy to provide you with a solution today.

You can collect customization information for products using line item properties. Line item properties are custom form fields that you can add to the product page, allowing customers to make choices or add information about a product. Below I have linked a step by step tutorial that will enable you to integrate the personalization text box directly into your theme:

If you wanted to head down the custom HTML path, Shopify has paid experts who will complete custom coding and in-depth customizations for your store for an agreed fee between you both, they are fantastic at helping you achieve what you're after. Click here to find out more about hiring a Shopify Expert.

Important Coding Reminders:

• If you make changes to the original code and save the changes, you will not be able to revert back. We always suggest you first duplicate the theme and work in the duplicate. That way you can always go back to your previous version.

• If you make changes to the original code in a theme and update your theme to a newer version in the future it will override past changes.

• If you've changed theme files and need to revert them, you can roll back .liquid files individually to a time and date before you made the changes.

Apps are generally the go-to solution for a feature like this and would be more cost-effective rather than hiring a coding expert. I have a few app suggestions that I have personally used with no trouble, see how they work then re-evaluate implementing the custom solution down the road.

TIP: Whilst on the topic of product pages, you may like to have a look at our article on Writing Product Descriptions That Sell. One of the points in the article is to focus on your ideal buyer when you write your product descriptions. What kind of person are they, and what language can you use to ensure they feel like you're talking to them directly? Increasing the font size for readability and using easy to scan bullet points is also a good point.

I do hope this helps! Let me know how you get on with the suggestions above and feel free to let me know if I can clarify anything further.

Cheers

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes