FROM CACHE - en_header

Required Dropdown w/ Increased Price Option - Dawn Theme

SCatMC
Tourist
11 0 7

Hi!

I use the Dawn theme for my candle store where I sell handmade candles and I'd like to include a required dropdown option for most of my products where the customer can choose the "classic" version of the candle or choose a "signature" version where I add on elements to the top of the candle for an increased price. Is there a way to do this? Any advice is greatly appreciated! 🙂

Replies 6 (6)
KetanKumar
Shopify Partner
34392 3443 11265

@SCatMC 

Sorry you are facing this issue, it would be my pleasure to help you.

Welcome to the Shopify community!😊
Thanks for your good question.

Please share your site URL,
I will check out the issue and provide you a solution here.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
Want to modify or custom changes on store Hire me.
- Feel free to contact me on bamaniyaketan.sky@gmail.com regarding any help
Shopify Partner | Skype : bamaniya.sky
PSD to Shopify | Shopify Design Changes | Shopify Custom Theme Development and Desing | Custom Modifications In to Shopify Theme | SEO & Digital Marketing
DelightLoyalty
Shopify Partner
981 80 121

@SCatMC Can you please send me store url?

Delight Loyalty - Increase repeat sales quickly and build lifelong customers loyalty.
Zworthkey
Shopify Partner
5581 642 1512

@SCatMC 

Welcome to the Shopify community!
Thanks for your good question.

Please share your store URL.
So that I will check and let you know the exact solution here.

Iris
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
274 25 40

Hi @SCatMC ,

That’s an excellent question. 

Dawn theme is fantastic as it allows you to customise it to your brand needs. The variant pickers on the product page are by default buttons, but you can easily switch them to the dropdown.

But first, let’s create variants with the price increase. 

1. Add a new product to the store - in this case, your candle product.
  2. Input all the necessary information about the product (title, description, inventory etc.).
  3. Under the Options section, click ‘This product has options, like size or color’.
  4. For the Option Names, add anything that works for you. In my example, it’s ‘Customize’ because that’s the text showing above the dropdown.
  5. For the Option Values, add Classic and Signature, with the corresponding price next to each.
  6. Save product.

From the Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Themes to edit your theme. First, find the theme you want to edit and click Customize. Next, click on the Default Product page, then the Variant Picker section. Finally, change the layout to dropdown and Save in the top right corner. You can see the steps outlined in the screenshot below.

30-19-4015-53176

Let me know that works for you!

How is everything else going for you in the store? Are you also doing any marketing you would like to discuss? I would love to hear about your business and anything you are working on!

Iris | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

SCatMC
Tourist
11 0 7

Hi @Iris ,

Thank you for your reply! My only issue with this solution is that when I follow those steps I then run into an inventory issue. I keep inventory of classic (regular) candles but when I add in the signature option it needs an inventory number or else it says it's sold out. I'd like it to be an add on to the candle so that it doesn't affect the inventory. Hopefully that makes sense. Is there a way around that? Thanks again for your help!

Iris
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
274 25 40

Hi again @SCatMC ,

Happy to help! I completely understand what you’re looking for. That’s a great point!

Another free option would involve editing this guide here. It gives an additional gift wrap option with an additional charge at the cart stage. In this case, you would need to change the name to reflect the customisation (instead of gift wrapping).

However, if these are not suitable for what you would like to offer, perhaps it would be best to use an app. Some great ones are available in our App Store, but I believe the Custom Product Options app could suit best. It has a 7day free trial, so you can test before commiting to a plan. 

I hope that helps.

Iris | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog