Solved

How can I create customer tag-specific navigation menus?

Benzetsu
Visitor
3 0 0

Okay, so I'm attempting to create different menus visible to customers with different tags.  Specifically, I want customers tagged "Wholesale" to have a different set of navigations to any other customer.  

https://www.envision.io/blogs/ecommerce-pulse/80312001-how-to-add-a-wholesale-area-to-your-shopify-s... 

https://chevronediting.com.au/exclude-products-from-shopify-search/ 

I've been using these two resources to guide me, and everything has gone correctly except for the edits in header.liquid.  

I'm want to use {% unless customer.tags contains 'Wholesale' %} [regular navigation/menus] {% else %} [Wholesale menu navigation], but I can't figure out how to get the alternate menus to show up.  The above links talk about code that looks like {% for link in linklists[section.settings.main_linklist].links %}, but I don't see any {% for %} tags in the header at all, instead I see {%- assign main_menu = linklists[section.settings.main_menu_link_list] -%} which I think is pulling from settings_data.json.  I don't know anything about JSON, and I've sort of been faking my way through Liquid so far, so I'm sort of lost from this point.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to get these different menus to show?  I'm happy to provide more in-depth explanations or code chunks.

Accepted Solution (1)

Ninthony
Shopify Partner
2330 350 1024

This is an accepted solution.

{%- assign main_menu = linklists[section.settings.main_menu_link_list] -%} 

This line isn't pulling from your settings_data.json file, its pulling from the header section's {% schema %} -- If you go to your customize editor and go to your header section there'll be an option on the sidebar to choose the linklist you want to use. So that's actually the line you're looking for. You'll want to do something like this:

{% unless customer.tags contains 'wholesale' %}
{% else %}
{%- assign main_menu = linklists.wholesale-menu-handle -%} 
{% endunless %}

If my solution helped you, please like it and accept it as the solution!
If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish 😄

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

Ninthony
Shopify Partner
2330 350 1024

This is an accepted solution.

This line isn't pulling from your settings_data.json file, its pulling from the header section's {% schema %} -- If you go to your customize editor and go to your header section there'll be an option on the sidebar to choose the linklist you want to use. So that's actually the line you're looking for. You'll want to do something like this:

{% unless customer.tags contains 'wholesale' %}
{% else %}
{%- assign main_menu = linklists.wholesale-menu-handle -%} 
{% endunless %}

If my solution helped you, please like it and accept it as the solution!
If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish 😄
ZelikKR
Visitor
1 0 0

I am having the same issue but don't understand the solution above...

I  see this code in my header.liquid file (in sections).

And I am following a tutorial to replace it with the below code.  I did create a menu called "main-menu-wholesale" and my regular main menu is called "main-menu" but I keep getting an error if I replace the above code  with the below code. What am I doing wrong?

{% assign menu_handle = 'main-menu' %}
{% if customer %}
{% if customer.tags contains 'wholesale' %}
{% assign menu_handle = 'main-menu-wholesale' %}
{% endif %}
{% endif %}
{% for link in linklists[menu_handle].links %}