Sharing a link in Facebook or Messenger

Cathy_Charles
5 0 0

Not sure where the information is hidden so seeking guidance.

When I share a link in messenger or facebook for my website it always appears with "American Express" as a header under the link. I can't find where this is grabbing the information from. 

Then I noticed today that Bing has my company name with American Express right next to it. I have contacted Shopify support who told me its a facebook thing but this is clearly not the case as seen below. Can anyone please tell me where its grabbing this info as I can't find it?

Capture.JPG

Replies 4 (4)

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi there @Cathy_Charles!

Could you check in your Online store > Preferences menu in your Shopify admin to see what, if anything, has been set as your social sharing image?

This may be where the unknown image is coming through by default, or you may simply be able to select another image of your preference to use here.

Also in this menu, we can take a look at the 'Title and meta description' options at the top of this page.

Can you check to see what info is in place there and try to update this to something of your liking if it is blank or otherwise unsatisfactorily filled out for you?

You mentioned that you see this incorrect info showing up on Bing, can you confirm if this is also present on other search engines or if there is different info showing there?

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Cathy_Charles
5 0 0

thanks Don. 

Checked the social sharing image is my business logo which hasn't changed in years so not that one.

Checked the Title and meta description, These are filled with "Chockadoo - Australia & New Zealand supplier of artist glass and tools" and "Effetre, Double Helix, Vetrofond, Reichenbach, Bullseye and Kugler glass supplier of glass rod and sheet to Australian and New Zealand glass artists. We specifically focus on beaders, lampworker and fusers."  respectively.

Google, yahoo and startpage are not showing American Express.

Yandex does yandex.JPG and duckduck does 

Cathy_Charles_0-1636402715023.png

ecosia and swisscow both show  

Cathy_Charles_1-1636402932874.png

Cathy_Charles
5 0 0

I think I fixed it at least when I paste the link in messenger its now showing the website address as opposed to american express. Will have to wait to confirm when the search engines refresh/update... I had to remove the payment icons in the footer. Something that has been in the theme setup for years... WEIRD!

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi again, @Cathy_Charles!

Thanks for getting back to me here and for letting us know you were able to resolve this.

Your store looks great by the way! It's bright and busy without being overly cluttered.

You also mentioned you had your store set up for some years now,  do you have any current projects for selling art supplies online, or is the business in a fairly steady state at this point?

In any case, let us know how we can be of assistance here!

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog