Shop Pay automatically sending sms how to stop

Rebeca
Excursionist
33 1 18

I like Shop Pay but I don't like the way it is behaving and wonder if I have it set up wrong. My issue is this, I have the express checkout buttons set up for Shop Pay and Paypal, if customers want to use it, they are there to be pushed. But if you don't click on the express checkout buttons and select checkout, then enter your email address, you automatically get a Shop Pay sms code even though Shop Pay wasn't selected as a payment method. Then as I make changes to the order I get more sms codes. It's pretty annoying as I test it, which means it will also be annoying for our customers. 

Theme: Supply

Replies 32 (32)

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hi, @Rebeca!

Sophia here from Shopify. Thank you so much for sharing your theme name and store link here.

First, I really appreciate you looking out for your customers and thinking about their experience at checkout. Shop Pay is designed to make the checkout process as easy as possible, so if customers are getting confused or annoyed, that's definitely something we want to look into. I can share any feedback about this with our developers for consideration in future updates.

You have set everything up correctly, and this is expected behavior for Shop Pay. Customers can either choose the express checkout button on the cart page, or if they missed it, they can enter the email address associated with their Shop Pay account at checkout and still receive a code. 

I totally understand how frustrating it can be to receive multiple codes when you're just testing the checkout. In this case, I'd recommend setting up a separate email address that you use exclusively for testing purposes (or entering something fake like "test@test.com" if you don't need to receive an email as part of the testing).

I noticed that your store accepts payments from Mastercard, PayPal, Shop Pay, Visa, and Afterpay. PayPal is the only one of these options that isn't available through Shop Pay. If a customer wants to pay with a credit card or Afterpay, they will still have those options available if they've entered their Shop Pay code. Under the Payment section when using Shop Pay, customers can find "Use a different card" or "Use a different payment method", allowing them to add new card details or use Afterpay.

If for any reason a customer wants to enter details manually instead of storing their information, they can always opt out of Shop Pay (feel free to share this link with any customers requesting to opt out). Personally, I only disregard the Shop Pay codes when I'm testing the checkout. If I'm shopping as a customer, I use them every time, and I imagine most customers will be in the same boat.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any outstanding questions or concerns.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Rebeca
Excursionist
33 1 18

Thanks for the info, it makes total sense. I get where Shopify is coming from but I guess my perspective is from a customer experience. If I don't select Shop Pay and go to checkout (I want to pay via bank deposit) and enter my email address I get a Shop Pay code even though I didn't click on Shop Pay, it kind of felt stalkerish and off putting. Hopefully that makes sense 🙂

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

For sure, that makes sense! Keep me posted on any customer feedback you're receiving about this. I'll make sure that the Shop team hears this concern in the meantime, but I'm curious to see how it goes with customers too.

RichL
Excursionist
11 0 17

I'll add to this:  My customers find this code to be confusing and most disregard it. But a few think it's a "discount code" or a scam, or they wonder why they
"can't just pay by credit card".  We're probably going to turn off Shop Pay because there seems to be no way to prevent it from sending SMS  to people unsolicited.

Sneiv
Excursionist
19 1 18

I am having similar issues with Shop Pay. After a customer clicks on Shop Pay once they are auto-redirected to Shop Pay on all subsequent checkouts. Most of my customers are old ladies and they struggle enough with regular checkout.... nevermind getting a text message on their cell phone which they can hardly use to start with.

It would be nice if Shop Pay didn't auto-redirect the user at checkout. Furthermore, Shop Pay doesn't display my stores language for error messages when discount codes are used improperly, which is crucial to turning people in the right direction.

I wish I could offer Shop Pay as an option, but the lack of customizable error messages and the text message code issue makes it not a viable option for my customer base.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@Sneiv wrote:

I am having similar issues with Shop Pay. After a customer clicks on Shop Pay once they are auto-redirected to Shop Pay on all subsequent checkouts. Most of my customers are old ladies and they struggle enough with regular checkout.... nevermind getting a text message on their cell phone which they can hardly use to start with.

It would be nice if Shop Pay didn't auto-redirect the user at checkout. Furthermore, Shop Pay doesn't display my stores language for error messages when discount codes are used improperly, which is crucial to turning people in the right direction.

I wish I could offer Shop Pay as an option, but the lack of customizable error messages and the text message code issue makes it not a viable option for my customer base.

Hi, @Sneiv!

Thank you for sharing your experience with Shop Pay. I'll make sure that the Shop team sees your feedback about redirecting the user at checkout, as well as translating to your store's language. I imagine the language note is already on their radar, as we're always looking for ways to make Shopify more accessible worldwide, bringing on support for more languages as we go. Which language is your store in?

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@RichL wrote:

I'll add to this:  My customers find this code to be confusing and most disregard it. But a few think it's a "discount code" or a scam, or they wonder why they
"can't just pay by credit card".  We're probably going to turn off Shop Pay because there seems to be no way to prevent it from sending SMS  to people unsolicited.

Thanks for sharing this, @RichL!

Customers should see a corresponding popup on the checkout prompting them to enter the Shop Pay code, so it's interesting that people are finding it confusing and disregarding it. I want to clarify that the SMS texts should not be arriving unsolicited—they should only be sent to customers who opted in to Shop Pay. If you still have Shop Pay enabled and continue to receive questions about it, feel free to share this page with them which explains what Shop Pay is and how it works. In the meantime, I'll make sure that the Shop team receives this feedback.

electrodrel
Shopify Partner
8 0 2

It's been almost 2 years since this discussion. Did you guys not collect enough evidence that this feeding shoppay to shopper's throat is not a good user experience?

Rebeca
Excursionist
33 1 18

It still bugs me. I turned off the Shop Pay express checkout button. I've now been on many websites now that have the Shop Pay express checkout button and it is so annoying getting texts with Shopify Payment codes I didn't want. Especially those times you find you need to go back and forth where you are just wanting to check shipping costs or add more to the cart ... you can end up getting several codes.

As a customer I know I can opt out of Shop Pay but I've left it active so it reminds me why I don't have it on my website.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

I appreciate you following up on this, @Rebeca!

The purpose of the Shop Pay code is just to load your stored information so you don't need to type out all of your shipping and payment details. If you don't want to use it but don't want to opt out either, you can enter your code and then just select "Check out as guest" near the bottom of the page.

Entering the code will ensure that you don't keep getting sent new codes while going back and forth between the store and checkout pages. To test without receiving any codes, you can just enter something like test@test.com and then manually enter a shipping address to see the rates available.

Rebeca
Excursionist
33 1 18

I just turned on Shop Pay on my website it has changed a little since I last had it on. My issue is still that .... I should only receive a Shop Pay code if I click on Shop Pay button.

Still my gripe ... If I want to use Shop Pay I will click on it once I'm ready to checkout. But if I already know I want to pay via another method and I hear my phone buzz with a Shop Pay code when I haven't selected Shop Pay it irritates me. To take extra steps during checkout to stop receiving the Shop Pay code when I'm wanting to pay by another option doesn't create a good customer experience. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of Shop Pay but I don't like how my customers have to interact with it. We would get the odd customer question about about it when we had it activated, this doesn't happen with any of our other payment methods. Maybe it is a NZ thing.

Whilst I'm here I do have a question, when checking out with Shop Pay is there a way I can change the shipping options so the shipping tab is expanded?

Thanks 🙂

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

I appreciate that, and thank you for sharing!

There isn't a way to keep the shipping options expanded by default, but I can absolutely submit a feature request about this to our developers.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hi, @electrodrel.

There are many factors that go into decisions about product updates. Feedback from merchants, partners, and customers is highly valued and is often the catalyst for changes, though it doesn't always guarantee that changes will be made.

If there's anything specific you'd like to add about your experience with Shop Pay, I'm happy to submit your feedback to our developers.

Sneiv
Excursionist
19 1 18

ShopPay has a bug... or design oversight. If you have ShopPay enabled, but ShopPay Installments is not enabled, checkout automatically redirects the user to the ShopPay interface if they have ever even once clicked on ShopPay in the past. But if you enable ShopPay installments, it doesn't redirect and it acts as it should as another express payment option that is available to select at checkout. This is how it worked about 6 months least, since I enabled installments everything has been fine.

Kings4
Tourist
3 0 6

Hi Sophia

I agree with the issues of ShopPay automatically sending a code and using this as a default payment type. We run 3 stores currently and launching another at the EOM and I am taking this option off all of them as we get a query at least twice a day between the sites complaining they can't pay by their preferred method. I understand they can and understand how they can manoeuvre around it but many customers simply don't. We save some with a detailed explanation but my concern is how many we loose hence it will be removed from all of our sites until it is and option to opt in for customers. The simple way to fix this for retailers and for customers would be simply to have a button next to or immediately below the email field that states "login to ShopPay" that way a customer has control of what they want not what is being forced onto them.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Thanks for sharing this suggestion, @Kings4!

May I ask which other payment methods are enabled in your store? When I submit a feature request, I'd like to let our developers know which payment methods customers might prefer to use.

Kings4
Tourist
3 0 6

We offer, Shopify payments (all options - Visa, M/Card, AMEX, eftpos, UnionPay), Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal, Zip, AfterPay, humm, LayBuy, Klarna & Bank deposit. 

It is about the customer having a seamless path to checkout and the ShopPay as an automatic option as soon as the email is put in just confuses people at times but also acts as a barrier to a smooth checkout hence why we have disabled it. We will certainly enable it again if it becomes an option rather than automatic.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

I appreciate you following up on this, and I've passed these details along to our developers for consideration in future updates.

Yvy616
Excursionist
29 0 41

@Sophia Is there any update? I also had to remove shoppay as customers find it annowing that as soon as they enter their email with the intention to choose a different payment method, Shopify hijacks their checkout and automatically applies shop pay, then they can't figure out how to get out and leave.  Sometimes it happens where their email is alrady entered when they go to checkout even when not signed into the account! So it feels a bit too stalkerish. When the customer feels like they have no control, it's a turn off.

So, the shop pay button is under express checkout for a reason, it should be a CHOICE. Just entering their email shouldn't designate them as having chosen it.

Sneiv
Excursionist
19 1 18
Most of my customers that have issues with this are elderly. The good news
is that Shopify has an obsolescence plan associated with Shop Pay. You see,
if they keep ignoring the issue, eventually all of the old people will die
and the new generation will take over, and they will have less friction
with it. It's good to see that they have a long-term strategy and are not
just focused on the near term!
Rebeca
Excursionist
33 1 18

I'm not so sure. People like control. If you don't intend to pay by ShopPay and you start getting texts from them when you sign in with your email address it feels like spam and extra effort. I had a ShopPay account and got rid of it because I got sick of the excessive texts I was getting when trying to shop on websites. ShopPay is a great idea, but it should only text when a customer is ready to checkout and selects it. If it did that, I would use ShopPay again.

kuehlapisbymom
Excursionist
27 0 9

My customer complained that when she logged in, ShopPay immediately provided her with a code.

Consequently, she entered the code, which then prompted her to place an order, despite her cart being empty. After entering the code, it implied that she had placed an order, displaying a delivery date as well. This occurrence has happened twice. Today, she requested a refund, claiming that my website/company is misleading.

According to her, she didn't choose the items she purchased; ShopPay simply provided a code without requesting her card number (express checkout), and she wants a refund.

I’m perplexed about what’s happening here. This lady is my high-value customer who spends a lot on my website. I may have lost a few like her because of this. I don’t have evidence, but I noticed they started disappearing after I enabled ShopPay on my website. I run a small business and can’t afford to lose these kinds of customers.

How can I be accused of misleading customers when I haven't issued codes for items they didn't intend to purchase?

Does this relate to the concept of high conversion, coercing customers into buying items they didn't choose?

I screenshot the refund. You may read the customer’s note below.

IMG_1825.jpeg

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Thank you for sharing your customer's feedback with us, @kuehlapisbymom! I appreciate the concern. Hopefully we can clear up the process for the customer so they understand how Shop Pay works and are able to rebuild their trust in your store.

Do you have more information about the path that this customer took to get to your store? I'm trying to determine how they reached the checkout if they didn't manually add anything to their cart.

Shop Pay prompts customers for their verification code once they have entered their email address at checkout. This means that the customer would have needed to add an item to their cart and proceed to checkout first. I'm wondering if maybe they had added an item to the cart while browsing the store at some point, forgot, and it was still there when they came back again later on.

They also would have needed to opt into Shop Pay, either by signing up through the Shop app, or by selecting "Save my information for a faster checkout" during a previous purchase. The checkbox at checkout looks like this:

23-16-95144-9058

Shop Pay does not save customer information without customers opting for it to do so. I understand that this customer may not have intended to sign up. If they don't wish to use Shop Pay going forward, they can opt out here.

kuehlapisbymom
Excursionist
27 0 9

Hi Sophia, thank you for getting back to me. I'm a bit in the dark about the exact steps she took because she hasn't reached out directly. Here's what I do know—she ended up buying something unintentionally. Shop Pay handed her a code, and she punched it in, maybe thinking it was a discount voucher. Boom, next thing, items paid for. She might have expected Shop Pay to double-check with her for a credit card or some confirmation before sealing the deal. This led her to think the website was a bit misleading.

We're both based in Singapore, where scams are rampant, particularly affecting individuals in their 50s and above. The fear of your credit card acting independently is genuine. I understand her perspective—whether she's tech-savvy or not, even with express checkout, you should maintain control over your purchases. Let's ensure this doesn't happen again, especially to customers in the age group I mentioned earlier. If this issue persists, they may develop a phobia about purchasing online.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

I understand. Thank you for sharing the additional feedback.

I want to clarify that entering your Shop Pay code does not finalize a purchase—it only pulls up your saved information so you don't need to type it in again before checking out.

After entering a Shop Pay code, the customer will still have the checkout page in front of them, showing the item(s) in the cart, along with the subtotal, shipping and taxes if applicable, and the total. Shop Pay cannot make a purchase for a customer—they have to confirm the purchase by clicking the purple Pay now button.

Kings4
Tourist
3 0 6

Hi Sophia, 

I think everyone here is quite aware of how it works but instead of accepting that customers clearly are confused (as ours are and also as shown above other sites customers) Shopify insists on pushing their agenda and product. It is a product that works as an option NOT as a default. This is what people are really asking for I believe just not this automatic login and push for specific payments. We have removed from all our sites and have not had a single person ask for it nor have we had a reduction in sales and actually have had an increase in conversions. In my belief it is because without Shop Pay in its current state we now give customers the control but Shop Pay made customers feel they lost control of their payment info.

SeanHank
Visitor
1 0 1

I totally agree with this. While learning ShopPay I have sent soooo many auto text to customers accidently. It would make much more sense if it happens like what you said. "If I don't select Shop Pay and go to checkout (I want to pay via bank deposit) and enter my email address I get a Shop Pay code even though I didn't click on Shop Pay, it kind of felt stalkerish and off putting." Its very frustrating! 

Also, you don't know who has ShopPay or not until you enter their email and Zoooom there goes the auto text I didn't want to send. It also saves all the customer info and is hard to get rid of after checking out a customer. 

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Thank you for sharing your suggestions! To clarify, can you provide more detail on why you're entering customer emails at checkout? I'd like to make sure I understand your workflow so that I can provide full context when submitting a feature request.

Yvy616
Excursionist
29 0 41

I see lots of time has passed and this is even worse now. Sopify is trying to monopolize ecommerce and forcing shp pay on everyone. As everyone mentioned, shop pay button is there for express cehckout and ONLY if it is clicked should the text code to phone happen. As soon as I enter my email and I get that code thing, everything, even my payment methods are defaulted. What if I want to pay with Klarna? What if I decide on Paypal? Or other payment options that are avalaible? So custoemr has to somehow KNOW that they can scroll down to the very bottom and click on that super tiny link "Continue as guest" and that is what they need to do? That won't happen, they are not going to spend more than a few seconds trying to figure htis out before they just leave.

NO wonder once I moved to shopify my checkout abandonment is so much higher than previously. I'm tempted to use another payment gateway but Shopify charges an extra 2% to their merchant fees, so it's making people HAVE to use them. There used to be a selection under settings/checdkout to disable automatic customer accounts which meant all checkouts would be guest checkouts and that has been removed. Forcing their agenda even more. Look, we the merchants know how it's supposed to work, but most customers that aren't the most computer saavy will get frustrated and leave instead of hanging around trying to figure it out.

Rebeca
Excursionist
33 1 18

I hear you ... when I shop on other peoples websites and it offers Shop Pay the whole thing confuses the hell out of me so I still have it turned off.

There aren't 2% charges on Shopify Payments ... just turn off the Shop Pay feature which is the part that confuses customers.

Yvy616
Excursionist
29 0 41

Oh I can keep shop pay as my merchant processor but still turn off shop pay feature? I didn’t think

of that. What sucks then the option will be removed from the quick part at the top so the choice is not there but worth a try. Thank you! 
shopify please still look into this. Optimally the button should show and give the customer the option while not forcing it on them.

Rebeca
Excursionist
33 1 18

Yes ... Settings > Payments > Shopify Payments click manage, uncheck Shop Pay. It does suck you loose the quick part, but I believe it makes for a much better shopping experience for customers.