Solved

Shopify theme editor giving unhelpful error message

zoltankundi
Shopify Partner
14 1 22

Hi!

When editing a draft theme I get this message: "There was a problem with your request, please try again." which on it's face doesn't mean anything. Google and the Shopify dev docs don't seem to help.

Other problems appeared at about the same time as the error message, like the theme not updating in the preview after I modify a part in the editor, but I couldn't establish causality as I'm totally in the dark as to what this message means or how can I find out.

Based on the "problem with the request" I guess that maybe my update request doesn't get processed by shopify, but I'm correctly authenticated and all, so I'm not sure what could be on my side.

Is it possible that there are problems on shopify's side?

zoltankundi_0-1651632858524.png

Accepted Solution (1)
zoltankundi
Shopify Partner
14 1 22

This is an accepted solution.

So, after playing around in the network tab of my browser I found the error failing my update request. It indeed was a problem on my side.

If you have the same problem and can't seem to find what's causing it, look for a graphql request by the name of `graphql?operation=ThemeUpdate` and see the response.

For me it was 

zoltankundi_0-1651663500276.png

but for you it could be anything else, because I assume all similar errors return the same "try again" message on the GUI.

View solution in original post

Replies 9 (9)

KetanKumar
Shopify Partner
36839 3635 11972

@zoltankundi 

oh sorry for that issue ignore this doesn't effect your store its some time internet and shopify servicer side issue 

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
Want to modify or custom changes on store Hire me.
- Feel free to contact me on bamaniyaketan.sky@gmail.com regarding any help
Shopify Partner | Skype : bamaniya.sky
PSD to Shopify | Shopify Design Changes | Shopify Custom Theme Development and Desing | Custom Modifications In to Shopify Theme | SEO & Digital Marketing
zoltankundi
Shopify Partner
14 1 22

This is an accepted solution.

So, after playing around in the network tab of my browser I found the error failing my update request. It indeed was a problem on my side.

If you have the same problem and can't seem to find what's causing it, look for a graphql request by the name of `graphql?operation=ThemeUpdate` and see the response.

For me it was 

zoltankundi_0-1651663500276.png

but for you it could be anything else, because I assume all similar errors return the same "try again" message on the GUI.

KetanKumar
Shopify Partner
36839 3635 11972

@zoltankundi 

oh sorry for that issue if you have regular this issue can you please contact Shopify  Help Center

PSD to Shopify | Shopify Design Changes | Shopify Custom Theme Development and Desing | Custom Modifications In to Shopify Theme | SEO & Digital Marketing
zoltankundi
Shopify Partner
14 1 22

I've managed to solve it, it's in the accepted answer, for anyone else having the same issue in the future. 

KetanKumar
Shopify Partner
36839 3635 11972

@zoltankundi 

oh wow that would be great 

zoltankundi
Shopify Partner
14 1 22

@KetanKumar 
can I submit a ticket for suggested improvement somewhere? The only contact I can find are for support tickets, not for suggestions.

KetanKumar
Shopify Partner
36839 3635 11972

@zoltankundi 

yes you can contact Support team

zoltankundi
Shopify Partner
14 1 22

Thanks for the reply! This wouldn't be a problem if it did it one or two times, but it's been doing this all day and I'm holding up a client with this.
It's really a shame that this isn't documented at all and I have to accept "try again" as a solution.

Edit: I've found a solution in the meantime.

KetanKumar
Shopify Partner
36839 3635 11972

@zoltankundi 

oh sorry for that