Solved

Showing Collection Description (not collection title) - Dawn Theme

mjdubarr
Pathfinder
109 0 29

Hello,

I'd like the descriptions I added to my collections to display on the catalog. The collection titles are visible but not the descriptions. Is there a way to enable this? I didn't see an option for this in the theme editor. Thank you in advance for your help.

Accepted Solution (1)
ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

This is an accepted solution.

Open up sections/featured-collection.liquid and add this code at line 27:

<div>{{ section.settings.collection.description }}</div>

The code should then look like this:

ksnip_20211122-225723.png

Note that this will make the collection description show up in any featured collection section.

★ Smart Upgrades, Tips and Tutorials for Shopify themes: cartpunk.com
Did my solution work? Help other Community members easily find the correct solution and apply it to their own stores by marking it as the Accepted Solution and giving it a Thumbs Up

View solution in original post

Replies 12 (12)

ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

To clarify, do you want to show the collections' descriptions on the page that lists all collections (/collections)?ksnip_20211121-090623.png

Did my solution work? Help other Community members easily find the correct solution and apply it to their own stores by marking it as the Accepted Solution and giving it a Thumbs Up
mjdubarr
Pathfinder
109 0 29

To show the description from the collection that I created.

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 1.33.29 PM.png

I have this collection in my catalog but only the title shows, not the information.

i added text boxes but I cannot place them between the title and collection.

store:

https://melanie-jean.myshopify.com/collections/best-sellers

store password: prayrttttttt

ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

This is an accepted solution.

Open up sections/featured-collection.liquid and add this code at line 27:

<div>{{ section.settings.collection.description }}</div>

The code should then look like this:

ksnip_20211122-225723.png

Note that this will make the collection description show up in any featured collection section.

mjdubarr
Pathfinder
109 0 29

It works!

Thank you!

mjdubarr
Pathfinder
109 0 29

Hi @ThomasBorowski 

Thank you so much for your help with my previous request. I am revisiting this post because I just noticed that the code works great for desktop but for mobile, the width is too long. Is there a way to resize the width size for mobile only?

96EE7386-FAF7-4F55-AF41-7C28A93F8EF4.jpeg

ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

I'd be happy to take a look, can you post the current storefront password?

mjdubarr
Pathfinder
109 0 29

Thank you @ThomasBorowski 

url: melaniejean.com

password: qwertyuiop

It's only visible in mobile

ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

It looks fine for me, see the screenshot. The description is within the borders with margin left and right. Tried it on my Android 12 mobile too, looks the same.

ksnip_20220111-171021.png

mjdubarr
Pathfinder
109 0 29

Weird. Maybe its only on iphones? I have an iphone.

ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

Possible, although it's not the iPhone or iOS per se, probably it's Safari (assuming that's what you're using). Maybe try Firefox or Chrome for iOS to see if it looks different. Although I doubt it, AFAIK all iOS browsers (have to) use Safari's rendering engine, WebKit.

Maniek
Visitor
2 0 0

And would you possibly know how to extend the number of characters/words presented in the description of this section? 

I can't find any filter on that.

AGC1975
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Thomas, I have the same need of showing the description of the collections in the front page. Before applying your solution, may I ask how can I ensure the description is shown below the product grid? So I want the text to be shown after showing the products.

Thanks