Can you simulate a 'SOLD OUT' product status on Shopify?

maxxi
Excursionist
12 0 4

Hi everyone ! 

I am trying to find a way to display one of my products as 'SOLD OUT' o 'NOT AVAILABLE'.

Since I am using a PoD model I don't have any inventory. So I am not able to do it this way.

Are there any other option to make the product appear in my store but with a badge or something similar saying 'SOLD OUT'?

Hope somebody can help..

Replies 8 (8)

LitExtension
Shopify Partner
4860 1001 1132

Hi @maxxi,

Please go to Actions > Edit languages > Products > Product > Sold out. 

You just need to change the text here, it will display fine. Refer https://i.imgur.com/JEEfAIL.png 

LitExtension - Shopping Cart Migration Expert
Check out our Shopify migration app to migrate your online store to Shopify
maxxi
Excursionist
12 0 4

That's actually not what I am looking for. 

The product IS in stock. I just want to display it as 'SOLD OUT'.

Thank you 🖤 

ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

I assume your goal is to have the "sold out" product show up on the store but not allow it to be added to the cart.

Without any modifications to the theme you could enable inventory management for the respective products, set their stock to 0 and disable overselling. That way they would show up as sold out and could not be added to the cart.

If you can't enable inventory management for these products for some reason, the theme would have to be modified so that the respective products could be tagged as "sold out" and would show up as if they had an inventory of 0 even with disabled inventory management.

★ Smart Upgrades, Tips and Tutorials for Shopify themes: cartpunk.com
Did my solution work? Help other Community members easily find the correct solution and apply it to their own stores by marking it as the Accepted Solution and giving it a Thumbs Up
maxxi
Excursionist
12 0 4

Hi there ! 

Yes you understand what I am trying to do !

The issue is: since I am using a Print On Demand Application, I cannot use the inventory function...

I don't know why but I can not enable it.

So I guess I have to use a code...

Do you have an idea how to apply this ? Or do you maybe have any external reference that could help me...

ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

The PoD app is probably setting all the product properties and disabling inventory. You could still try to enable inventory management for a test product or ask the support of the app providers if there is a way to achieve this.

If you can't work with inventory management the theme would have to be modified. It's not a huge change, but the exact steps depend on the theme you're using. I would recommend hiring an Expert.

Did my solution work? Help other Community members easily find the correct solution and apply it to their own stores by marking it as the Accepted Solution and giving it a Thumbs Up
maxxi
Excursionist
12 0 4

Hi there thank you so much for your engagement ! 

I found a way to set the stock to 0.

The only missing thing is an alert / badge / sign that says 'SOLD OUT'.

The product Image is simply faded out, but there's no 'sold out' information.

Any idea ?

Theme is DEBUTIFY.

ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

I'm not familiar with Debutify's coding, but it's possible that it doesn't have sold out badges or that they need to be enabled in the theme settings.

LitExtension
Shopify Partner
4860 1001 1132

Hi @maxxi,

I checked and debutify theme has support to display badge 'SOLD OUT'. https://i.imgur.com/qqaCqAs.png

Please send your site and if your site is password protected, please send me the password.

I will check it.

LitExtension - Shopping Cart Migration Expert
Check out our Shopify migration app to migrate your online store to Shopify