Special Order Button

Matt_Evolved
Tourist
17 0 3

Hello I'm using the Simple Theme. I need to make a Special Order button on items that have a certain tag. So instead of saying "Add to Cart" it would say "Special Order" if the item has that tag on it. Is this possible? Or have even a small Splash page pop up and let the customer know that the item is Special Order that has that tag. I have added on the product page advising that these items are already Special Order but I guess people don't read and still order assuming the items are available. Any help would be appreciated 

Thanks.

Replies 4 (4)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hello, @Matt_Evolved.

Thank you for reaching out and posting this question!

It is possible to create a separate product page template and change the add-to-cart text to say "Special Order," then this template can be assigned to certain products. This way, you can manage your products simply by changing the templates.

If you're not comfortable working with coding (eg. HTML, CSS, Javascript, or Liquid), then this is something that our Theme Support team can help you with. However,  it's important to note that our Theme Support can only support Shopify themes and your store also needs to be subscribed to a plan in order to be eligible for the complimentary design time. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

I'd love to know if this is a solution for what you're looking for. Keep me posted!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Matt_Evolved
Tourist
17 0 3

I don't think I can do it that way because I have 60,000+ Products that can potentially be Special Order. I have a 3rd party app that connects with my Distributor and items get added and removed all the time but they add a Tag for Special Orders automatically to each item that needs it. So it needs to somehow work with tags not templates.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2752 274 477

Hey, @Matt_Evolved.

Thank you for following up!

I think it may still be possible to accomplish this with tags through custom coding. However, you may need to hire a developer to assist you with this, as this level of customization does fall outside the scope of our design policy. If you need help finding a developer, I'd recommend taking a look at Shopify Experts. Shopify Experts is our directory of certified developers that are experienced with custom coding, and they'll be able to create a solution for your store. 

I hope this points you in the right direction. Keep me posted!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

BillFromCanada
Tourist
8 0 4

Elias - thanks for your feedback on this item.  I know this is beyond the scope of what you ae dealing with here, but, one thing I am surprised about so far with Shopify 2.0 is that we haven't heard any announcement about being able to use the newly exposed Meta Fields to influence Shopify Admin logic. 

For example, in terms of assigning a Template - wouldn't it be great if Shopify would allow the user to set a conditional statement in the Admin based on a Meta fields contents.. ?

Another key example for me would be that I have a number of Products that are "Oversized" meaning they can't be delivered by standard couriers (maybe they are too long, like a 15 foot antenna).  I would like to put them into a CUSTOM SHIPPING RATE bucket within SHIPPING AND DELIVERY SETTINGS, and it would be so easy if I could do that by including them in the CUSTOM SHIPPING RATE if a TAG or a META DIELD was set to a value of OVERSIZED for instance, but, no, at present, you have to hand pick products one at a time to put them in a CUSTOM SHIPPING RATE field.

There are so many things that could be improved if Meta Fields could be used for Admin Logic - is anyone considering this?