Supposed 20 Megapixel image problem?

CDNCOINSHOP
Excursionist
13 1 10
Here's the error I keep getting;

These images couldn’t be added:

• "[image]" exceeds 20 megapixels

Looks like something is broken. The images I'm wanting to use are 2160x2160 pixels @ 72dpi and range in size from 700kb up to 1100kb, there hundreds of them already on my site, this format is not new to me and they are not 20MP, not even close.

Here's things I've tried, all give the same error;

Copied images back from my site and tired to upload them.

Uploaded a 1x1 pixel @ 72dpi, 9kb.

So something's obviously wrong here. Have I magically crossed some sort of storage limit for my account?

Please fix or advise how to proceed.

Other threads with the same issue

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Design/Image-size-exceeds-20pixels/m-p/321708#M84027

Edit 1: this other thread is getting a lot of activity in the 5 minutes since I posted my question

Replies 9 (9)
TheBombshell
Tourist
3 0 1

I'm experiencing the same issue. Every photo I upload is giving me an error code "exceeds 20 megapixels"

appcrazee
2 0 0

Did you figure this out? My images are nowhere 20 mp either. Hard to believe no one responded to you from @Shopify 

OriolePublishin
5 0 0

Hi all,

I'm also facing the same issue. My images are only 1XXKB, yet i'm unable to upload the images.

Any resolutions?

Best Regards
Oriole Publishing

Shay
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1527 240 324

Hi @OriolePublishin 

Thank you for bumping this thread! 

Are you willing to share a direct link to the image for me to check out? If not, that's okay. I would ask that you try uploading the image directly into your files section of your admin to see if you are getting the same error message. If you are uploading the image through the product creator or theme editor, there could be other factors at play causing this error. By attempting to upload the image into your admin under Settings > Files you can see if the issue is with how the platform is viewing the image or if it is some other issue.

If you are able to successfully upload the image to your files section can you walk me through the steps you are taking and where exactly you are trying to upload the image? If it is in a product or collection, is this done in the process of creating a new product or editing an existing one? As much info as you can provide will help me troubleshoot this.

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

OriolePublishin
5 0 0

Thanks @Shay for responding to my post.

But to answer your question, nope, nothing is successful.

I can't upload any images to the "Files" section.
Screenshot 2021-11-02 at 3.11.28 PM.png

The image (one of the few) that i'm trying to upload onto my product is a black and white page, of a mere 988KB in size, not even in the MB range, let alone 20MB

Debussy - The Girl with the Flaxen Hair for Wind Quintet - Flute.png

Funny how I can easily upload image in a forum post but not where people need it the most: on their actual sites & product listings.

In this day and age of e-commerce, no photos = no sales. People won't buy what they can only imagine and can't see.

Best Regards
Oriole Publishing

Shay
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1527 240 324

Thank you for sharing the image file with me here. I tested it on my own store and encountered the same error message. Upon futher investigation, I was able to see that this file is in fact 33.9 Megapixels in size. 

There is a simple equation you can use to find out the image size in megapixels, which is different then the file size of megabytes. When inspecting the image, we can see that the image dimensions are 4900 pixels by 6930 pixels. This is a high quality image with a resolution quality higher than 4K, I can understand why you want the resolution to be so high as it makes for a crisp and clean document on all screen sizes. 

02-38-78406-60537

In order to find out the megapixels for this image, the equation looks like this:

(PIXEL HEIGHT x PIXEL WIDTH)/1,000,000 = total megapixels

• 4900x6930=33,957,000
  • 33,957,000/1,000,000= 33.9 MP

In order to host this image on Shopify, you will need to reduce the image size in pixels so that when applying that equation you are reaching 20MP or lower. I hope this helps!

OriolePublishin
5 0 0
Not true, it says in my computer it is below 1mb in size. I don’t know h how did you derive it to be 33mb
OriolePublishin
5 0 0

@Shay I tried to resize as you mention, and it works.
But it's still strange because the computer still says the image file is below 1Mb, so yea.

Shay
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1527 240 324

I'd be happy to clarify in more detail for you!

There are two types of measurements for image files, one is megapixels and the other is megabytes.

Megapixels refers to the resolution of the image and is a calculation of the total amount of pixels that is used to make up your image. A pixel is the number of dots of light (think tv or monitor resolution) or dots of color (images, like yours) that make up a digital image. The more pixels, the higher the definition. We see this talked about regularly in TV or computer screens. 4k TVs have a minimum of 4000 pixels across their longest length. 

A megabyte (kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte, terabyte, etc) is a measurement for the size of data related to the file, which is different from the resolution. A higher resolution, does usually mean higher data but not always.

So a megapixel is a measurement of resolution and a megabyte is a measurement of file size. Both need to be considered when uploading images to be hosted on Shopify. I also found this nice clear breakdown of the different measurements related to digital photos that might help as well: Everything You Want to Know About Megapixels, Megabytes, and DPI | TechHive.

I am more than happy to answer any additional questions you might have about image size and resolution, so please don't hesitate to reply back.