Tab Name

Hammuel
2 0 0

Hello, I had a store and decided to go with something else after creating it, I have successfully ported everything over, except for I can not figure out how to change the tab, it still says robo mania and I want it to contain my new store name, I am using the minimal theme, for reference it is www.newhorizonart.com (be kind, it is not finished yet ;))

Replies 27 (27)
padoan
2 0 0

Hi Ava, are you able to check the screenshots below? Would love to get this sorted.

Ava
Shopify Staff
1041 69 164

Hi @padoan!

Thanks so much for the screenshots. I took a look at your site and can see the difference between the tab and the store name. It looks like the tab name is embedded in the theme. I've taken a look via Inspect Element, it looks like the tab name is added there by an SEO booster app. You can see this yourself by right-clicking anywhere on the homepage to get the Inspect Element menu. After that, you can scroll to the top to expand the head tag in order to see what scripts are running. Here, you can see the tab name!

In order to remove this, I'd recommend reaching out to the apps developers. They would be the best people to help here! Our own technical and theme support teams would not be able to offer assistance here, as both the theme and the app have been created by a third party. So in that way, it would be outside the scope of our support. However, you can definitely reach out to the app developers to remove this! 

You may find this Chrome extension useful in finding this within the theme code. If you go to the admin and select Online Store > Themes > Actions > Edit code, you will be able to search for the tab name within the HTML/CSS coding of your theme. The Chrome extension will allow you to conduct a thorough search! Once you have located the text, I would still recommend reaching out to the app developers in order to correctly edit the tab name. They will guide you on the best way to update the tab name (or they may do this task for you!). You can contact the app developers here: support@secomapp.com.

Let me know how you get on!

Ava

Social Care | help.shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

teempire
Excursionist
12 1 1

I had the same issue. After I have updated the Homepage title, it tab name only got updated on my home page. Whenever I navigate it to another page, the tab name will be changed to (1). I have attached some screenshots for reference.

Screenshot 2021-10-24 162710.pngScreenshot 2021-10-24 162914.png

Ava
Shopify Staff
1041 69 164

Hey, @teempire!

I checked out your site and I can see what you mean, I was seeing a (1) in the favicon tab once I clicked on a collection page. The (1) looked like a notification bell, so when I clicked on the chat bubble in the bottom right corner and closed that message, the (1) disappeared! Once that disappeared though, I still couldn't see the full name of your store, the website URL was showing instead. Can I ask where you have changed the name of your store, was it just in the Preference section, or was it under Settings > General too? Also, can I ask if you have made any coding changes recently?

teempire
Excursionist
12 1 1
Hi Ava,

I updated the Homepage title under Online Store > Preferences setting.
[cid:storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Screenshots_Screenshot_20211029-063955_Shopify_jpg_1635460805347]

Under Settings > General, "TEE Empire" was reflected under Store name.
[cid:storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Screenshots_Screenshot_20211029-063927_Shopify_jpg_1635460814991]

I did not make any code changes recently.
Ava
Shopify Staff
1041 69 164

Thanks for the response here, @teempire! I've checked in with our Theme Support team here, they are not sure what could be causing this issue if you've made the changes you've mentioned. You seem to be following the right steps, but that URL is still showing instead of the store name. If you've made any coding changes, I would suggest rolling back the code to the previous version to see if this resolves the issue with the tab name for you. 

Your other options are to download a fresh version of your current theme to see if this resolves the issue for you, or you can remove/re-add your apps one by one to test if one of them has caused an issue with another section of the store. 

I'm sure our team can take a closer look at this for you though, it is difficult for us to troubleshoot an issue from the Forums here, as we do not have admin access to investing fully. In order to dig into this for you, we’ll need to access your account. Please visit our Help Centre here and log in to your account to create a support request. I'm sure we can find a resolution to this!

teempire
Excursionist
12 1 1
Thanks Ava. Glad that I am following the right steps. I did not make any code changes recently and there are too many things that I need to setup and configure if I download a fresh version of my current team.

It is also not quite possible for me to remove/re-add my apps one by one to test because there are just too many and each of them require the necessary setup and configuration too.

I took your suggestion of logging a support request and hopefully further troubleshooting and investigation could be done to resolve the issue.
Ava
Shopify Staff
1041 69 164

Thanks so much for keeping me in the loop, @teempire! I can understand that the suggestion I've made in my last post may be time-consuming, but without digging deeper into your current theme, it is difficult to pinpoint where this issue may be stemming from. I do hope our support team were able to find a resolution to this for you!

teempire
Excursionist
12 1 1
Hi Ava,

Unfortunately Shopify Support said that my theme has been very heavily customized and they are unable to determine exactly what is causing the errors to occur and recommend working with my own developer or hiring an expert who is well-versed in coding to take a look to see what is causing the loading and tab name issues my website is experiencing.
Ava
Shopify Staff
1041 69 164

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that is the case! Our Theme Support team can offer assistance when you are using a theme that has been created by Shopify, but it can limit the amount of support we can offer if the original code has been changed too much. Would contacting the developer who helped you with your theme originally be an option for you? You do also have the option of downloading a fresh copy of your theme and starting again, but that would mean you would lose the customisations you've added. It would really come down to how much you would want the store name to reflect in the tab; I personally do not believe this is something your customers will take too much notice of, and I also don't believe it will stop you from making any sales in the long run. But you are the store owner, so this decision is yours to make! Do let me know if I can help out any further.