Update Dawn theme from 2.4.0 to 6.0.2

PrintNStuff
Excursionist
18 0 3

Hello everyone! I noticed long time ago that the theme Dawn has been updated quite much and decided to make this step and update the current theme that I am using. I am now using Dawn version 2.4.0 and would like to update to latest version available. 

I downloaded the latest version, but when  I click on preview, it shows empty, with just a few of my original products and menu items. I am afraid to hit publish and to loose everything that I have made on the "old" theme. Also, I do not want to go through the process of customizing manually again the new theme and make it look like the existing one.  Is there a simple smart way to navigate all the customizations from an old theme to a new one?

Please help, thank you!

Reply 1 (1)

drakedev
Shopify Partner
685 148 230

Hello,

unfortunately, it isn't possible to upgrade any Shopify theme to a newer version automatically and keep all existing customizations (that's a general rule not only for Dawn theme).

The only way is to import manually all customizations that have been added from 2.4.0 to 6.0.2.

I did it many times for various themes and I usually follow this approach:

1. I get the original and clean version of the theme (in this case Dawn 2.4.0)
  2. I compare it with the live theme (Dawn 2.4.0 customized) and identify all customization, taking notes on which files they are and try to understand the purpose of this customization if I was not the original author/dev that implemented them.
  3. I get the original and clean version of the target theme (in this case Dawn 6.0.2) to keep as a backup
  4. I do a copy of target theme version and start merging all customizations from the previous theme.

If my answer was helpful click Like to say thanks
If the problem is solved remember to click Accept Solution
Shopify/Shopify Plus custom development: You can hire me for simple and/or complex tasks.