2 stores in one account in different countries.

gharyan
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi guys,

I hope you can help with some advice.

I have an online store in Canada: www,store,ca owned by my Canadian company, selling in CAD Dollars, shipping from my warehouse in Canada. 

We're planning to have a second warehouse in the US, owned by an American company. I wanna keep the same website with the same products. Having a .co for US clients and .ca for canadians

Can I manage all the finances (taxes,... ) through one shopify account? 

The ideal would be: client ordering from Canada whether they visited my .ca or .co they'll be redirected to the right website using the IP address which is .ca and payment then we receive the payment to our Canadian company bank account. The same thing for clients in the US, they have prices in USD, we fulfil from our US-based warehouse and get our payouts in our American company bank account

Is this possible? If not what's the best plan you offer

Thank you in advance for your time

Replies 9 (9)

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hi, @gharyan.

Sophia here from Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

It is possible to manage both your Canadian and US stores through one Shopify account, and I'm happy to review the features and options with you here.

One store for multiple domains

International domains & Geolocation

If your account is on the Shopify plan, the Advanced Shopify plan, or the Shopify Plus plan, you can use international domains along with Shopify's Geolocation app to show Canadian customers the .ca domain with CAD, and US customers the .co domain with USD.

Shopify Payments

With Shopify Payments, you can sell in multiple currencies, meaning your Canadian customers can checkout in CAD and US customers can checkout in USD. However, your payouts stick to one currency. Canadian Shopify merchants can receive payouts in either CAD or USD, but you'll need to pick one payout currency in order to manage everything on one store, as your Shopify Payments account can currently be connected to one bank account.

On the Basic plan, you can still use the Geolocation app to display currency options and use Shopify Payments to allow customers to pay in their local currency, though this will happen on one domain rather than redirecting based on location.

Locations

Your warehouses can each be added as a location to manage inventory and fulfillment accurately on one store.

Separate stores for multiple domains

The alternative is setting up two separate Shopify stores if you need to send CAD payments to your Canadian bank account and USD payments to your US bank account. This blog post reviews the steps for setting up separate stores: How to Expand Your Shopify Store to Multiple Countries.

Let me know if you have any questions about these options.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

ajmarriage
Tourist
11 0 0

Hi Sophia,

Hoping for a little help with our decision wether to create a new store or use an international domain (or if that is initial premise is flawed and that creating an international domain is the same as creating a new Shopify store...)

We are an established store based in the UK. However we do have a sizeable amount of international sales coming primarily from the US.

The non-UK experience is powered by Global-e and we would like to move away from this for US traffic.

We would like to have a US store e.g. us.our-site.com that we can tailor as needed and importantly use Shopifys native checkout experience.

We would want the US store to have the same products and not having to merchandise them separately would be ideal.

In the longer term that it would be good to have US specific copy or creative for US traffic - this part is less important.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@ajmarriage wrote:

Hi Sophia,

Hoping for a little help with our decision wether to create a new store or use an international domain (or if that is initial premise is flawed and that creating an international domain is the same as creating a new Shopify store...)

We are an established store based in the UK. However we do have a sizeable amount of international sales coming primarily from the US.

The non-UK experience is powered by Global-e and we would like to move away from this for US traffic.

We would like to have a US store e.g. us.our-site.com that we can tailor as needed and importantly use Shopifys native checkout experience.

We would want the US store to have the same products and not having to merchandise them separately would be ideal.

In the longer term that it would be good to have US specific copy or creative for US traffic - this part is less important.

Hi, @ajmarriage!

Based on what you've shared here, it sounds like the international domains feature will work well for your business. I'm happy to discuss the options in detail with you.

International domains will allow you to:

• manage everything under one admin for both the UK and US experience, including one product catalog so they don't need to be merchandised separately
  • set up region-specific domains, like uk.our-site.com and us.our-site.com (or our-site.co.uk and our-site.com)
  • display the appropriate currency on each domain (customers on us.our-site.com will see USD prices)

Separate stores would allow you to set up completely different copy on each if needed, though it also means two Shopify plans as well as maintaining the product catalog in two different admins. Can you tell me a bit more about the differences in copy or creative that you might like to offer in the future? I know you mentioned this part isn't as important, but I can definitely look into it further to find out what's possible if you're sticking with one store and the international domains setup. 

JMcBurney
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Sophia,

This thread has been very helpful, thank you. What are some reasons that someone might want to manage two domains (or two subdomains) in two different Shopify stores, rather than leveraging the international domains feature within a single Shopify store? 

A few examples:

- With one Shopify store using international domains, would a product in Canada show as out of stock if the American warehouse was out of the product?

- Can we sell a product in one location and not in another location? Eg. We hold product X in our Canadian warehouse and we want to sell it in Canada, but we do not hold product X in our American warehouse and we do not want to sell it in America.

Thanks,

Jason

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

@JMcBurney 

The international domain feature allows you to offer a default currency and language (or set of language options) on individual domains in order to provide a localized browsing experience to your buyers all around the world.

For example, if you are a merchant based in the United States, currently selling both within the US and to Canada on your website shop.com. You can now:

• Use your existing shop.com domain to target the United States with USD as the default currency and English as the default language

• Setup shop.ca or ca.shop.com to target Canada with CAD as the default currency, English as the default language, and French as a language option.

The main reason that someone might want to manage two domains rather than leveraging the international domains feature:

• You can add multiple Domains to one store and have them all redirect to the same place, but if a merchant was looking for a different online storefront (i.e theme) with different products and needing to make payouts in more than 1 currency, then an entirely separate account would be needed.

With one Shopify store using international domains, would a product in Canada show as out of stock if the American warehouse was out of the product?

• When you create a product, the product is stocked at all locations by default. You can change the list of locations that stock the product and adjust the inventory levels of the product at each location, with the following constraints: All products need to be stocked at a minimum of one location. You can’t unstock products from locations that have unfulfilled orders or transfers that require an inventory of that product. You can read more about this in our guide below:

• Assigning inventory to locations · Shopify Help Center

Can we sell a product in one location and not in another location? Eg. We hold product X in our Canadian warehouse and we want to sell it in Canada, but we do not hold product X in our American warehouse and we do not want to sell it in America.

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify

missstephanieb
Visitor
1 0 0

Can we take this a step further? We need to have .ca and .us but for events. I see you have event ticketing. Is there a way to have both Canadian and US event tickets on the same site? 

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hey, @missstephanieb!

Are you referring to one of the apps for event ticketing in the Shopify App Store? If there's a specific app you're interested in using, let me know and I can take a look at their features to see if this is possible.

AllOneWellness
Not applicable
1 0 0

I want to know how I would go about haveing, one store for CAD for Canada and one store for USD in the United States on one domain, but have an /US/ for American customers. The same say my store has multiple languages. I want to get the second store but want to know more how  to set it up. Also would google think the content was dublicatd if I did this? not sure what is best.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hi, @AllOneWellness!

You can set up international domains to display your store in CAD to Canadian customers and USD to US customers. The guides linked here will walk you through the setup process.

Search engines should recognize your store as one website just displaying a different domain and currency, so it shouldn't register as duplicate content.