Add an option to a product page that is a compulsory choice for an accessory product

Allan_Phillips
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi all, thanks for reading

My manufacturer has just removed 2 parts that used to be included in the box.  However one of these parts has 2 variants and choosing 1 of those variants is compulsory (therefore a choice has to be made but having one of them is mandatory), and the 2nd part is optional.  Both these parts are already their own SKU and available to purchase separately. 

I want to avoid bundle apps, as they don't print pick slips correctly, and I don't want to have to create 5 times the SKU's for every combination.  Does anyone have ideas on how to do this?

For more detail:

I currently sell an electronic device that has 47 variants (colour).  It currently includes a flush mount backbox, and has a surface mount backbox available as a separate accessory item that can be purchased separately. It also includes a power supply.  

The manufacturer has now removed the flush mount backbox, but the core product requires either a flush mount or surface mount backbox.  So the customer will select the core electronic, then choose the appropriate backbox, then choose whether or not they need a power supply.  

Any idea on how to do this without a bundle app or creating a zillion SKU's?

Thanks in advance

Allan

Replies 9 (9)

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hey, @Allan_Phillips

Tira here to help. 

Thank you for reaching out and for providing all of these details. This is helpful. 

I ran your scenario in my head and here is a suggestion that you might find helpful:

If you want to sell a product that has several colours, and accessories, with some accessories that are mandatory, I think creating one product page with different variants would be the best option.

I recommend creating one product for your core electronic, then adding your colour variant and options, with a variant that has the options for a flush mount or surface mount, then you can also add another variant with options to add a power supply, and not to add a power supply to a product. Creating these variants would allow you to add multiple SKUs. To do this, I suggest following our help docs on how to have your customers choose an option. This will make sure your customers choose an option on the product page, before they can see the price of the product before they add it to their cart.

If you already have products created for your different accessories, and want to pull all your products together to create an order for your customer, then a bundle app would be the best solution. It sounds like you’ve already tried some bundle apps before, but they weren’t able to pick the order correctly for you. Which apps did you try? Please let me know and I can provide you with some alternative solutions for your business.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hey, @Allan_Phillips.

It's me again. How have you been? Were you able to find a solution for what you want to do?

I would love to know! 

Sianos
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi @Tira

I'm after a similar solution but i'm running 2.0. In a nutshell i have a listing for T-Shirts and the option to customise them listed below as a featured product - is there any way i can make it compulsory to purchase both products together without the need for a app?

Many thanks! 

XX

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hey, @Sianos.

Thanks for reaching out. There isn't a built-in way in the Shopify admin to make a product compulsory with another product on the product page. Is this what you were looking to do?

I strongly wouldn't recommend this, as customers may not want to purchase the item if they don't have the choice to opt out or choose a different option. 

I would recommend checking out the workaround I responded with earlier on this thread.  Why is it important to have your t-shirt product with a compulsory product? I would love to know so that we can brainstorm some solutions together.

Talk soon,

Sianos
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi @Tira 

Thanks for responding so quickly!

I was looking for for something to make one product compulsory with another but completely understand this isn't something Shopify recommends and i also understand why.

I did check out the workaround in the earlier thread but noticed it said it wasn't completable with 2.0 - i've just switched to Dawn (and absolutely love it!)

I'm basically trying to work around the 100 product variant options. At present i have separate listings for Hoody and T's in a range of colours and sizes totaling 100 variations each, i then customise these with a customers choice of word etc. and offer a choice of fonts and colours - i currently have this as a '2-step' process on my page - 1st select garment and add to bag then select customisation and add to bag. I am aware of parent and child products and happy to do some coding. i have checked out the Product Variants Reloaded App but i couldn't get my head around it and to be honest i wasn't 100% keen on the idea off 300 choices on my product page.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions and VERY much apricate it!

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Thanks for the reply, @Sianos. I am so glad to hear that you’re enjoying the Dawn theme and Online Store 2.0! Thanks for trying the workaround.

I really appreciate you breaking down how your product selection works for your products. This is helpful.

I am understanding that you need to have more than 100 product variants for your clothing products. Shopify does limit variants to only 100 per product, and you can use third-party apps from our App Store that can help you add more product variants. 

I replied to a similar thread where someone was looking for some alternatives for adding more variants to their products and I followed up with some apps that could help: Adding 4 variants to a single product that you may want to use.

I appreciate that you’ve already tried one app. Was there anything in particular that made the app not to your liking? Would love to hear what your thoughts are!

Sianos
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi @Tira 

Apologies its taken me forever to get back to you but you've solved my issue!! I absolutely LOVE the Variants and products App mentioned in one of your posts! It does everything i need and more - in fact I'm considering implementing it across all of my products!

I can not thank you enough!

I had tried Product Variants Reloaded but it just didn't fit for me and my style - i was struggling with implementing it with DAWN also - whereas Variants and Products has been an absolute breeze!

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

I'm so happy to hear this, @Sianos! I'm glad I could help you.

Cheers, 

gr_trading
Shopify Partner
1649 139 170

Hi @Allan_Phillips @Sianos ,

Here we have made a custom code solution, please refer to the below video to implement the same.

For any custom development WhatsApp or connect at Email ID: gr.trading15@gmail.com for quick consultation. | Shopify Free codes
To support Buy Me a Coffee