Solved

Adding another product as variant (frame to wall art)

Karolína
Tourist
4 1 0

Hello,

I sell physical wall art and I'd like to add an option, that customer can order it with frame. I'd like the frame to be as a variant in each wall art – because if I add it as a separate product and customer order 2 wall arts but only 1 frame, then I don't know, which one should I frame. So f.e. you can choose Wall art size A4 framed. But I would like to monitor the number of frames in shop. Because if I have 20 different arts, but only 5 frames in studio, I'd like to offer frame to each art, but when they are sold, I know, I need to buy new ones. 

Can I do that somehow?

Thank you,

Karolína

Accepted Solution (1)
Karolína
Tourist
4 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

Well that is not really user friendly 🙂 But I see, that there is no easy solution for me. 

View solution in original post

Replies 10 (10)

JohnnyBender
Tourist
11 0 2

@Karolína … Yes you can do that. 

When you ADD PRODUCT scroll down the product page until you see OPTIONS then check the box that says THIS PRODUCTS HAS OPTIONS. 

Then make the OPTION NAME “frame” and the option values “no frame, A4 frame”. 

You can set as many options as you like there, and set different prices for each afterwards. 

- - -

if this helped please click the ACCEPT SOLUTION button. 

Karolína
Tourist
4 1 0

Thank you, but that is not what I am asking for. I know options. I will try to explain better. 🙂

I would like every print to have the option with and without a frame. But I can't have so many frames in stock. So I would need it to be a separate product that loads for all prints, but once the frames are sold out, they will turn out to be sold out for all prints.

I have the same problem with greeting cards. I have to predict how many people will buy a card with a postage stamp and how many without a stamp. It is not a variant of the product (greeting card with or without a stamp), just the possibility of adding another product (stamp) that is related to this. And I'd like it to be on the same product page, not seperate (i am not seller of frames and stamps) :-).

JohnnyBender
Tourist
11 0 2
Hi. You can set the quantity of the option “A4 frames” you have in stock with my suggestion, and when you run out only the “no frame“ option will be available.
Karolína
Tourist
4 1 0

Sorry, that is still not, what I mean. Let's say I have 20 pcs art, but only 5 frames. And I want every art had option with frame. So when 5 people buy any art with frame, the option "with frame" switch off in every art. 

If I do it as you suggest, then I'd still have option "with frame" in my shop, but no frames in stock.

JohnnyBender
Tourist
11 0 2
I understand.

In that case I would make the WALL ART options: “no frame, A2 frame if purchased separately” (for example) and have the frames as separate products so you’re not selling something you don’t have stock for.

I would also set the store up to say after they decide on a piece of art, if they want it framed to ADD A FRAME to their cart first, then ADD ART.
Karolína
Tourist
4 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

Well that is not really user friendly 🙂 But I see, that there is no easy solution for me. 

JohnnyBender
Tourist
11 0 2

@Karolína How many pieces of art do you sell? How many frame options? If it’s not hundreds I would base the product setup on the FRAME with the ART being the variant. 

For example: product would be “frameless art” and from the options they would choose the art. DUPLICATE this product and make a version for every kind of frame, like “A2 frame art”. 

User friendly!

kwypych
Tourist
7 0 0

I'm struggling with this same question.  I have 16 original artworks which can be sold with our without a frame.  I don't want to list anything twice because these are original works of art.  I only have one of each.  But I offer them either framed for a higher price or unframed for a lower price.  Once a piece is sold, it is no longer available.  So if I see the "framed" version of the art, the unframed is not available since the art is already sold.  I don't know how to make Shopify do this.

letterjack
Visitor
1 0 0

Did you get any solution for this?

I'm having the same situation: original pieces to sell with or without frame.