How can I improve product search in the admin create order page?

emiliet
6 0 0

I find it really difficult to find products within the Shopify Admin/ Backend.

In the product catalog we can filter by tags, but not on the create order page.

Even by searching the exact product name we often get hundreds of search result.

Are there any trick, shortcut or apps to improve search in the admin create order page?

Thanks!

Emilie

Replies 5 (5)

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 132

Hi, @emiliet 

Sorry to hear you've been having issues searching for your products when creating draft orders. I don't have any app suggestions for you, but would like to understand a little more why this might be happening. Do you have many products with similar names and variants? Is that why you think you're getting so many results even when you search for a specific product? 

When I search for a product using the Browse button on the draft order page, only products and their associated variants come up that actually contain that word. It seems to work quite well on my test store. You can also use the filter button and search by SKU, if that would make it easier for you. 

Regardless, I'd be happy to log this feedback with our developer team, so any further context you can provide would be helpful! Perhaps another Community user will have some more suggestions for you as well. Thanks!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

emiliet
6 0 0

Hey @Hilary ,

We're a specialized shop with 7000+ Skus all related to the same field, so our whole catalog share the same keywords. It is hard to find unique keyword to find products in the first few mouse scroll.

The search feature seems to include keywords found in the product description and since we have very complete description and tech specs a simple keyword that is found in just 5-10 product title will be 35 mouse scroll away. It is no better if I search for "keyword" or if I included multiple terms. the variant title.

In the catalog search we can filter with tags, collection or vendor and can find product more easily but unless you know the sku it can be very long to search by name. Adding more filters or shortcuts ex: TAG:abcd  would be really useful.

Let me know if I am missing something that could help.

Thanks!

Emilie

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 132

Thanks for your detailed reply, and for providing some further context for me. 

I've now submitted some detailed feedback about this specific search feature in the admin to our developer team on your behalf. While we can't guarantee any changes, the more feedback we receive the better!

Thanks again for sharing your feedback. Hopefully some other Community users with a similar experience can offer some suggestions as well. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

PaulSL
Shopify Partner
5 0 4

I've seen another thread asking why the admin product search is so bad with no solution, so here's my suggestion.

Could product search be weighted? I used something like this in Magento, where different parts of the product file were seen as more important to the search function. For example, the product title is weghted as 100, category 50, description 10. In that example, the product name would be seen by the search function as important to the search than the description, so mentions of the product in another product's description would be less important.

In the screenshot I've attached, the description is being given the same weight as the title. The first 4 products have the search term in another part of the product data.

timbroo
Visitor
2 0 0

Is there any update in this space? We dont have a massive product range (see listings at https://www.thefurnitureshack.com.au  ) but everytime i search for a product in back office i seem to have to scroll through 100 products?? Seems like a simple fix to add "" so we could say "Caribbean" and only show products with that word in the title? Pretty sure this has been normal practice when searching since early 2000s... if not that surely AI can solve (im told it solves everything!)