Age requirement

sierra_warwick
Excursionist
22 0 4

So I am trying to finish setting up my shopify website but in the payment section I need to be 18+ but I am 14(15 in 3 days). I personally know someone who is 16 and has had her shopift website since the beginning of 2020. Is there a loop hole to get around this?

0 Likes
Bunty
Explorer
114 29 69

Use your parents, that's probably what that 16-year-old did.

Note: You must be 18 years or older to start a Shopify store. If you're under the age of 18, your parents can start one on your behalf.

0 Likes
Hilary
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
243 42 43

Hi, @sierra_warwick

Congratulations on starting your Shopify store. As @Bunty mentioned, it is stated in our Terms of Service under Account Terms that:

You must be the older of: (i) 18 years, or (ii) at least the age of majority in the jurisdiction where you reside and from which you use the Services to open an Account.

There is a great thread about this topic in our Community linked here. In order to start a Shopify store, you will require someone (typically a parent or legal guardian) who meets these terms to create and manage the Shopify account for you, until you become of age to manage the account yourself. You can follow our help document on transferring account ownership here

Let me know if you have any further questions! 

Hilary | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes