Apply automatic discount to tagged customers

jjansen
Tourist
6 0 51

Our store has a member discount and frequently offers member discounts on special events.  Is there a way to tag certain customers as a member, then have an item automatically discounted? Discount codes distributed to members only frustrates them if they can't find/remember the code, and could also be passed to non-members or wind up on some on-line coupon list.

Replies 141 (141)
melrch
Visitor
1 0 0

@Victor 2024 and still waiting for solutions.

ASis
Excursionist
18 0 11

Hi. I'm in the same boat. Exactly the same issue: a tagged customer list (trade) receiving an auto discount and non-taxable choice.

hardw
Tourist
7 0 5

I am a big fan of Shopify, however not having an automatic discount based on customer is a big mistake, without a doubt this should be a basic feature on Shopify, worth noting this function is offered on almost all ecommerce platforms these days. Yes there are apps which can fulfil this function, however as we all know installing apps for every single function will slow your site down and potentially cause unexpected issues/conflicts.

MariaPodVapes
Visitor
1 0 1

Any update on this feature?

SQ4u
Visitor
1 0 2

Any update on this? we dont want more apps, its a basic function that you would assume exists. You can already add a fixed discount for customers but they have to enter a code. why can that be set to automatic if chosen?

question was posted over 3 years ago with many requests. its got to be fairly simple or is it because more money is made from the apps?

MarkReal1
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Not being able to select customer segments for automatic discounts while being able to do it for discount codes makes no sense. Why has this feature not been added yet?

Risa
Shopify Partner
327 16 39

@jjansen 

App Selly can offer discount based on customer tags for you too:

https://apps.shopify.com/selly

★ SELLY UNITED - The front solution to increase sales for online store and POS - https://apps.shopify.com/selly
ASis
Excursionist
18 0 11

But Selly is $30/m.

Ankit_Thakur
Shopify Partner
52 1 4

Hi You can try using the Discount Depot App offering the same functionality at a very reasonable rate. 

Shopify Developer/Consultant
If my suggestions are useful, please let me know by giving it a like or marking it as a solution.
And if you want to customize or develop new feature on Theme or App.

greiseve
Explorer
63 1 83

check this discussion 

https://community.shopify.com/c/Technical-Q-A/Custom-Pricing-Based-on-Customer-Tag/m-p/523051/highli...

we are trying to solve a similar problem... it should be straight forward, if a customer is tagged 'X', give discount of 'Y' at checkout automatically...

it shouldn't necessitate an app or upgrading to Shopify Plus for $2000 a month...

also check this piece of code out that I found in the above discussion... it at least seems to add automatically a discount code and the customer only needs to hit APPLY... not ideal UI but better than spending a lot of money...

https://wearetmbr.com/shopify-auto-fill-discount-code-on-checkout-page/

hope this helps... and yes Shopify, please add a simple feature to apply a discount to selected customers automatically or allow smaller retailers to create a Wholesale channel without paying a $1920.01 premium... 

ChilliGal
Visitor
2 0 30

I am struggling to understand why you cannot apply a discount according to a customer's tag.  It's almost totally counter intuitive with regards to customer retention and I was kind of expecting it to be an intrinsic feature of Shopify.  Certainly agree that it's not worth upgrading to Premium to enable me to give away more money, but it leaves me questioning what value tags have in reality.....

greiseve
Explorer
63 1 83
I hear you!

We ended up going with Wholesale Club. Great app. Great service. Reasonably priced.

ModestMerchant
Visitor
1 0 18

Hi Shopify,

Any advance on this please? I feel it's a very simple and easy request to fix,

Thank you

Glassy_Al
Tourist
9 0 16

And...one more vote to the list of “please make this native”

PresetLion
Excursionist
14 0 8

Another one here! Its strange how you think its the #1 in the ecommerce market but does not offers so many things as native. At the end you pay 300$ just to have everything you need for a shop solution.. 😞

lcr1
Excursionist
18 0 31

My vote as well! Please make this simple thing native!

A ecommerce should have add discount to customer as a standard.

jsciabica
Excursionist
19 0 63

Well, this feature would not be very useful because Shopify limits to one active discount at a time...  That needs to be addressed first (or simultaneously).

I've heard that a more robust discount system is in the works, but it will be months at least.

WMedia
Visitor
2 0 33
And in the meantime, Shopify expect people to use an addon that costs twice the monthly Shopify subscription. It concerns me that Shopify's roadmap for such basic functionality is subject to conflicts of interest in revenues it derives from app commissions.
foxacoustics
Visitor
2 0 13

That's how they make money. Get you in the door with a cheap plan then nickle and dime you for each and every feature. $10 plugin here, $20 plugin there. Next thing you know you're spending more on plug ins than the basic plan.

Arundas
Shopify Partner
72 3 96

@foxacoustics wrote:

That's how they make money. Get you in the door with a cheap plan then nickle and dime you for each and every feature. $10 plugin here, $20 plugin there. Next thing you know you're spending more on plug ins than the basic plan.

That's right! Shopify no longer builds new features that aren't app-dependent. They earn commissions from every app subscription, so why should they? The core Shopify product hasn't changed in years, and every thread here asking for a simple change is met with the same answer: "Get an app!"

Recently, Shopify released its own subscription feature which integrates subscriptions into the checkout for a seamless experience for our customers. BUT here's the kicker: it's not available to you and me as a native feature! It's closed off behind an API, and only app developers can make use of it. Basically, if you want to use this new feature, you need to install an app that makes use of the API, and then the app acts as the front-end for the feature while the back-end is native in Shopify.

That's how deeply ingrained Shopify's app-commission-based business model is!

If my reply helped you, please give it a Like and mark it as Accepted Solution.
Do you need help customizing your theme or editing code? Email me!
lcr1
Excursionist
18 0 31

ye. Was thinking of the business model they have at 2000$ here but it’s a no go at our company. We will switch our platform for way more just so we can drop the apps and such.

mnearents
Shopify Partner
78 4 48

Hey Shopify,

It would be really helpful to have customer eligibility for automatic discounts like we do for manual codes. It seems like the only reason it's not available is to leave functionality for app developers to profit from (specifically membership apps). But this seems like a small thing that would be a big win. Imagine, not having to pay monthly to offer discounted pricing to tagged customers! I have plenty of apps I'm paying for functionality, but for something this specific/small, it's hard to want to pay $30/mo for a bunch of features you don't need just to get this one feature. I love Shopify and hope they consider this feature at some point.

Glassy_Al
Tourist
9 0 16

Just following up on my original up vote on this topic... I'd still love to see this part of the base, but I was able to solve my problems using the Locksmith app. Gave me complete control of pricing, collections, etc by customer. And was cheap ($9). Outstanding customer service too. So for those of you looking for a solve on this, I give them a thumbs up.

ASis
Excursionist
18 0 11

GLassy_Al, was it able to give your the specific discounts per tagged customers? That's all I need, like many in this chat.

DifferentDogs
Tourist
11 0 8

I also need this feature. It's actually super annoying that you can't have more than 1 automatic discount operating at once. That should not be limited to 1.

shop20201
Tourist
6 0 8

Don't worry about getting left out if you are on a lower plan. If you have Plus you still do not get the feature everyone in this thread is looking for. On top of that, the Automatic Discount app charges way more if you are on plus. Extremely frustrating.

jsciabica
Excursionist
19 0 63

If you're on Plus, it is rather cumbersome, but you accomplish this through Scripts.  I have an elaborate script providing discounts based on customer tags.  I also use Flow to auto-tag customers based on order criteria.

I needed help writing the Script, ask your account rep, but Flow is pretty intuitive.

(I still wish the built-in discount feature had customer tags)

HOOKUP
Visitor
2 0 8

This isnt aging well. Shopify is clearly ignoring this. I feel bad that we made this jump. Apps slow down sites... also spending another 20-50 a month for a feature that is EXPECTED is really making me change my mind on this platform.

Metric_Boom
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

Hello!  We are attempting to setup exactly what you claimed to have done using Shopify Plus and scripts.  Would you mind sharing a resource on how to do this, or better yet, who we can hire to implement it for us?  Thank you in advance!

The MacGyver of eCommerce | Revenue Optimization Expert | 26 Years of Omnichannel E-commerce Experience

Metric Boom is a boutique e-commerce consulting agency offering business strategy, custom dev, operations optimization, systems, inventory planning, and more. For established brands, we offer fractional c-suite services.
Ghiath
Visitor
2 0 6
If you are a plus member you can achieve this by creating price lists,
create a company profile for that customer and assign the price list to it.

This is the easiest solution so far based on my experience without having
to go to the customization route
SamiPA
Tourist
6 0 23

you shouldn't need to spend an exorbitant amount to get such a basic feature. We were  recommended to go to plus considering our monthly shopify spend with apps. The problem is we would then have to still spend on the apps making the costs to run our website absolutely ridiculous. 

Emilie_Jalie
Excursionist
19 0 7

Totally agree with you. Not only are apps expensive, but with the number of apps we need to cover all those little things that should be native, we run into issues, incompatibilities and more bugs to fix and countless emails with the multiple support teams... I cannot wait for this feature (automatic discount based on tags, adding variants criteria would be icing on the cake!) so we can ditch the app we are currently using!

ASis
Excursionist
18 0 11

... and yet, it sounds cumbersome.

mich5
Visitor
1 0 5

Here is another frustrated Shopify website user that doesn't understand why this isn't* a native feature.

My new website just went live recently, and we are trying to incentivize our customers to use the site rather than make a phone call or email but it is not worth it to them if their discount is manual. How can I as the company owner even bring sales online if it seems they'll get their discount through good ol' phone calls and email and NOT get it as simply with what is the "newer" technology. 

Please get this settled. New ERP solutions are also including e-commerce platforms that can seem more integrated and powerful than this. How can you retain your customers, Shopify, if this is what is going on?

Denise-in-NZ
Excursionist
11 0 15

I agree with everyone... should be standard feature. And I refuse to pay for an app to give people a discount - lose lose! Especially when it is like USD$10 a month (which is @$20 for me - we do not all trade in US!) and we only have specific people using it.  To me all Shopify has to do is modify the automatic discount to include the Specific Groups bit, then it would be good.

I got it going with a work around.

Here is what I did:

1. Made a discount code called Wholesale for x% off with customer elegibility a specific group (tags).
  2. Added this code to the top of the cart.liquid page (under the <form class ... tag) {% if customer.tags contains 'Wholesale' %}
    <input type="hidden" name="discount" id="discount" value="Wholesale"/>
    {% endif %}

I think that is all I did. I found a how-to by googling it. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I am trying to find out why or when it does or does not. 

Personally, I think it would be an easy feature for shopify to add!

GrayVikingGames
Visitor
1 0 2

@Denise-in-NZ were you able to get this to work consistently?  Interested in your workaround.  

Denise-in-NZ
Excursionist
11 0 15

@GrayVikingGames  - All my testing it works, even in incogneto mode. The clients it does not work for are long time customers so i wonder if it is a caching issue at their end. My most likely explanation. Any new customers it works 100%.

I have tried to find the original post i got it from... found these 

https://community.shopify.com/c/technical-q-a/giving-specific-customers-a-discount/m-p/1239448

https://serieseight.com/journal/how-to-create-shopify-wholesale-accounts-without-an-app/

https://wearetmbr.com/shopify-auto-fill-discount-code-on-checkout-page/

None of these are exactly where i got the code from but similar concept. 

I have a small amount of wholesale customers so I have changed the discount code under "Customer Elegibility" to work for specific customers only and selected my wholesale customers in there. This way no one else can use it even if they get the code. 🙂

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

@Denise-in-NZ , @GrayVikingGames 

When you do something like this of course use a harder to guess discount code and use an automation app on the backend to validate that orders getting that discounts should be allowed to use it.

Otherwise there's a good chance your hemorrhaging money to the wrong segment, especially with tools like honey scraping and injecting discount codes for consumers.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Denise-in-NZ
Excursionist
11 0 15

@GrayVikingGames , @mich5 

Hey Everyone,

I have installed this new app https://apps.shopify.com/regios-automatic-discounts 

Works a treat! I think it is what we were all looking for.

Give it a go!

Denise

ASis
Excursionist
18 0 11

Wow! Just the intro descriptions really point to our concerns and wants. Should give it a go! Keep us posted on how it does for you guys.

tobebuilds
Shopify Partner
200 12 63

Hey ASis,

I'm Tobe, the developer of Regios Automatic Discounts. Thanks for your feedback! I'm thrilled to hear that the intro descriptions resonated with your concerns and needs. I'd be more than happy to assist you in getting started with our app.

Reply in this thread if you have any questions or need further assistance. Stay tuned for updates on how Regios Automatic Discounts performs.

Best,
Tobe

Founder / Developer, Regios Technologies, Inc.
Install my automatic discounts app
DM me for custom app development and consulting.
ASis
Excursionist
18 0 11

Tobe, you're the man! So many have been waiting for this feature! Thanks!!

NancyW
Visitor
2 0 7
Hello
What plans with this auto discount be available to
Nancy What plans will this auto discount be available to write water?
tobebuilds
Shopify Partner
200 12 63

Hi Nancy, I'm Tobe, the developer of Regios Automatic Discounts!

This app can be used by stores on any Shopify plan.

Reply in this thread if you have any further questions, and I'll be happy to answer them.

Founder / Developer, Regios Technologies, Inc.
Install my automatic discounts app
DM me for custom app development and consulting.
jont1
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Tobe, this looks promising and very reasonably priced. I had a couple questions after going through the demo.
1) In the demo when you get to checkout the discount code field with the apply button is showing. If you don't have any normal discounts set up would this be hidden like it is normally? And if not, would it still be hidden for any customer who is not tagged with the discount?

We like to keep this field hidden as it just prompts people to go look for a discount and hurts conversion, so we're looking for a way to offer a discount to specific customers without showing the field.

2) What are the options for applying a discount to a customer? Mainly interested in if it can it be set up for one-time use (get 10% off your next order) and will just stay in their account until they use it, and then go away after that.

Thanks!

xSeanx
Shopify Partner
11 0 1

Would your app be able to take a dollar amount from a Meta Field to apply the discount?

Nickval
Visitor
3 0 0

Tobe,

Awesome work! I see that Shopify has a similar built now but shows the discount in the cart only. Would this work with subscriptions?

Nickval
Visitor
3 0 0

Actually I now realize the option to use tags is only available for coupons, not for automatic discounts....omg.

xSeanx
Shopify Partner
11 0 1

Sorry for replying to an older thread, but I am stuck...

I'm looking to use Metafields to have the dicounted price of the product and when a customer with a specific tag logs in, they are presented with the pricing from the MetField. Is that possible with Functions? 

ASis
Excursionist
18 0 11

Guess what guys!? It works like a charm! Your selected tagged customers and your auto discount! Thank you Regios Technology!!