Apply automatic discount to tagged customers

jjansen
Tourist
6 0 51

Our store has a member discount and frequently offers member discounts on special events.  Is there a way to tag certain customers as a member, then have an item automatically discounted? Discount codes distributed to members only frustrates them if they can't find/remember the code, and could also be passed to non-members or wind up on some on-line coupon list.

Replies 141 (141)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @jjansen,

Thank you for getting in touch and asking your question. I can see why this feature would be helpful, and whilst we do offer an automatic discounts feature, it is not possible to set an automatic discount to apply only to specific customers. I'll be sure to submit this to our development team as a feature request and it will be considered for implementation in future.

However, you should be able to achieve what you're looking for via the use of an app. The Automatic Discount app allows you to set automatic discounts dependent on who's making the purchase, meaning specific tags can be added to customer accounts and only those with those tags will be eligible for the discount in question. There is also an app called Bold Custom Pricing which offers a similar function along with a number of other features. Either one of these apps should allow you to achieve what you're looking to do.

I hope this has helped explain things but please do let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

WMedia
Visitor
2 0 33

$60 USD per month for what is fairly obvious and basic functionality based on tags seems ridiculous.  As per the comment at the bottom of the thread, any update on progress of this request going back almost 12 months?  Thx

mikemckerracher
Visitor
1 0 38

Come on Shopify clearly so many people want this feature.

jt49
Tourist
4 0 24

has shopify made any progress on this?

Allan-EP
Shopify Partner
32 0 60

Count me in as yet another annoyed shopify user requesting the same feature. It's especially dumb that this doesn't exist for automatic discounts when IT'S ALREADY POSSIBLE with discount codes. 

It's these sort of little limitations in shopify that prevents it from being a truly great platform. 

mandauefoam
Visitor
2 0 14

We're also looking for this kind of feature.

greiseve
Explorer
63 1 83

we ended up using WHOLESALE CLUB from Pixel Union. great product, great service... 

it's fairly sad that Shopify does not support and continue to develop the lower levels of their plans like one would expect. these are some basics along with some other bugs that have not been addressed...

mandauefoam
Visitor
2 0 14

What we ended up using is SELLY UNITED no code injection and will not messed with your variations. Plus! Great support too!

Cinda7
Tourist
7 0 27

This is exactly what I need but don’t want to pay for expensive apps. I just want a percentage discount for customers with accounts

ASis
Excursionist
18 0 11

Same here.

Aurelio
Visitor
1 0 16

Hey @Victor 

This is an essential feature for a lot of merchants and honestly, it isn't so hard to implement as Shopify already offers discounts based on segmentation. 
Have you had made any progress here? 

Best, 

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @Aurelio,

It is still not possible to apply an automatic discount code to customer groups by tag, unfortunately. I am continuing to submit feedback to our development team about this feature request. As mentioned by others in this thread, apps such as SELLY and Automatic Discount apps are worth looking into if you're needing this functionality.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

jsciabica
Excursionist
19 0 63

Count my vote for this being a NATIVE feature.  Please simply add a "Customer Tagged" section to the built-in discounts feature.

ASis
Excursionist
18 0 11

It seems that would be a good solution!

stiltwalker
Excursionist
10 0 26

I feel that Shopify is restricting this basic feature in order to force customers that require wholesale pricing to upgrade to Shopify Plus.  I hope Shopify hears me when I say, "the majority of wholesale customers will continue to place Purchase Orders from their internal ERP System anyway, so that the PO's are automatically entered into their system.  For some of us (your customers), we cannot justify leveling up to Shopify Plus for the amount of wholesale business we will do over the web.  As much as we would love our wholesale customers to shop online, their AR/AP teams prefer to have PO's created from their accounting systems, and either sent by email, or fax.  Giving us the ability to simply tag customers, and then create automatic discounts based on these tags provides a simple way to offer basic wholesale pricing.  It will not be ideal, nor will it give as much control to being exacting with pricing, but it's a simple way to provide X percent off different collections - and all that some of us smaller companies (that may never be able to afford Shopify Plus) need."

greiseve
Explorer
63 1 83

Agreed. There are too many basic functions that are missing even in the most expensive non Plus plan. But to justify 700% more on an ecom solution to have access to some of these basics seems ridiculous. It’s almost like we’re held at gun point. 

Mike_Grusin
Excursionist
10 0 38

Another vote here. More and more often I look for what should be an obvious feature (automatic discount to specific customers), only to find in these forums that it doesn't exist and I need to "get an app." It's becoming obvious that Shopify doesn't want to add features that may reduce app revenue, so I'll begin looking for another platform. Recommendations welcome. 

memetican
Visitor
1 0 4

Well that was an exciting 10 minutes of reading.

I haven't seen any replies in the past year or so from Team Shopify, and no updates on when this will be added, so I suspect that they are no longer monitoring the forum. 

May I suggest we use it for something more useful?

I'll take X's

memetican_0-1635923027258.png

lcr1
Excursionist
18 0 31

Yea they don't read or improve it.

We are switching platform because of this.

memetican_0-1635923027258.png

Gabe_Stillwater
Excursionist
22 0 32

We are on PLUS and this still isn't available? C'mon!! Telling your best customers that they have to enter a code at checkout to get the discount is mediocre at best.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

@Gabe_Stillwater wrote:

We are on PLUS and this still isn't available? C'mon!! Telling your best customers that they have to enter a code at checkout to get the discount is mediocre at best.

Plus stores should be using line-item checkout-scripts

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/checkout-settings/script-editor/examples/line-item-scripts#produc... 

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Gabe_Stillwater
Excursionist
22 0 32

@PaulNewton That is an interesting workaround with a script. Thanks for posting!

farmhouseam
Visitor
1 0 0

Agreed- We were even told that this was a feature of Plus. 

micaelayeo
Visitor
1 0 1

Even being on Plus, i dont see this as being a native feature. Hope I'm not missing something! We also need this feature! 

Ram_A
Explorer
60 3 18

Is there any update on this after 3 Years!!

I don’t want to give customer info access to an APP just to do this simple feature. 

FileNumberDate
Excursionist
35 0 18

I am developing sites across different platforms, and honestly Shopify is not your go-to solution if you want to build your own good looking website.

Here I can only recommend using Wordpress.

Shopify is lacking basic functionalities and options to change behaviour. Something you would never run into on a WordPress site.

There is so much documentation on WordPress you find a solution to most things.

Trust me, Shopify might launch such update in maybe 10 years from now. But let's be honest. Noone is going to wait so long for something so basic.

And you are right! For every plugin installed, you give information to 3-party apps you don't know how handles your information.

And you will be screwed in regard to GDPR laws.

ATTENTION!
Stay hydrated!
Thank you for your attention.
Coastalcrown
Shopify Partner
1 0 2

You’re 100% right sir. We switched away. To Wordpress and woocommerce that is. When searching around we found out that most places have more futures as standard than what Shopify have. Even on paid plain.

nathanhelloari
Visitor
2 0 4

Agreed, since it's already available for discount codes, it shouldn't be difficult to add to automatic discounts. Third party apps can interfere with other apps, for example Wholesale Discounts breaks the Appstle subscription app. Three years seems like plenty of time for the dev team at Shopify to have added this. 

frbosse
Tourist
3 0 1

Why is this still not possible in 2023? 

FR Bosse
VP TimeOut Tribe
frbosse@timeouttribe.com
Kampguru
Tourist
4 0 9

Any news on this feature? It's a bit strange not to have it in default platform.

SamiPA
Tourist
6 0 23

Not sure if this has been discussed, the issue with using an app for functionality is app conflicts. The more apps you add the more issues you're going to have. Not all apps work together. So if you're using something to modify the theme page and the app doesn't natively support the other app you are screwed. You then play the "who's error is it" when things go wrong and of course everyone wants to push you into getting an app developer. We use ninja and every major release have issues with the app not applying the discount to random customers. They can't work out why. We are looking at Bold for our website update but they admit there are issues between discounting and bundles. Additionally using an app, through their checkouts then causes issues with modifying orders and refunds - you lose standard Shopify features and you pay for that "privilege"!!!

I'm going to say this loudly because apparently, Shopify are sitting at the back on this considering how long this thread has been open 

SHOPIFY: ** USING AN APP IS NOT ALWAYS THE SOLUTION **

We spoke to Shopify about plus recently thinking it would help save us on apps but it basically just works better with apps - so you're spending a crazy amount + additional development which isn't exactly feasible even for those who have the recommended turnover. There needs to be a solution between Advanced and Plus or be able to add Shopify's discounting engine/flow as a paid app.

There are so many things that should be available as standard in Shopify and I can't get over the fact that you can limit discounts by customer group if they use a code but not automatically.

greiseve
Explorer
63 1 83

@SamiPA 

I’ll only say AMEN!

standard solutions shouldn’t necessitate Apps from third parties. 

advanced to Plus is a ridiculous price jump and based on your conversations clearly not worth the time to even consider. 

wonder how many people have switched platforms. Going through that hassle once intimidates me but if at the end we have a better product...

rsShop
Visitor
1 0 2

This would be extremely beneficial… personally I would like to offer a permanent discount to all of my customers that bought the very first product I offered.

would love for you to make this happen!

chris

greiseve
Explorer
63 1 83

@Victor any updates on this? it has been close to 2.5 years... nothing... nada...

what are the top requests from Shopify customers? is there a board we can all vote on?

Shopify and Tobi Lüdtke did a great job in the pandemic being the NonAmazon... great article in Bloomberg last week... 

HOWEVER this is something that comes from the ground up... front line feedback... do something for your Net Promoter Score... 

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @greiseve,

Shopify has an internal system where members of support can log feedback received from our merchants for feature requests and changes, and these are taken into consideration when our development team makes decisions on improvements that can be made across the Shopify platform. I know that this particular request is a popular one and our development team are aware of this area of friction for our merchants.

I do not have more information to share about if this change is going to be made or when it may be made, but I will continue logging feedback we receive and if and when there is an update to provide, I will make an effort to do so here.

lcr1
Excursionist
18 0 31

So many request but the first one was 13 of September 2019. And I have looked around here and a lot of basic things get the respond get an app.

What will change now? its been 2 years. I see even Shopify pluss don't have this. What a shame. 

You were once a good platform back in the day, but then it went straight downhill. And are keep going down.. 

My company are changing because of this. and I know a lot are doing the same. You could have made a killing platform for the e-commerce, but refuse to do so.

JeffSpurlock
Shopify Partner
9 0 11

This is insane to me. 3 years later we're still talking about this. I should be able to have not only apply discount by customer tag, but also an exclusion, apply discount if customer tags do not contain "xxx"

This is simple, and the only reason you're not doing it is because it would put some apps out of business. But it should. Those apps only exist because you refuse to add what should be a bare minimum basic feature. 

sellstuff
Visitor
1 0 0

It's part our their business model, some things will never change.

mmshopkeeper
Tourist
4 0 6

Another request to add automatic discount to specific customers. Please please put this up on the priority list!  Many years of requests coming in on this thread.

tobebuilds
Shopify Partner
200 12 63

It's not a perfect solution, but Shopify has recently come out with Shopify Functions, which allows you to create your own automatic discounts with custom logic.

So, if you're wanting to achieve this without an app, I recommend taking a look at the Shopify Functions documentation.

Otherwise, you can check out my app, Regios Automatic Discounts. It makes it super easy to create apply automatic discounts to tagged customers. Here's a screenshot:

specific_tags.jpeg

Let me know if you have any questions. Even if you don't use my app, I can probably still help you in this thread.

Founder / Developer, Regios Technologies, Inc.
Install my automatic discounts app
DM me for custom app development and consulting.
Jacqueline143
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi, 

Is there a app that integrates with Shopify POS that does this same thing? 

Ghiath
Visitor
2 0 6

@Victor any update about this feature? I’m a plus member and I can’t achieve that in my regular store. It’s a very basic feature that can be implemented easily since you guys were able to do it in the wholesale channel.

either give us more control over the wholesale channel or give us this feature on our main website. 

it’s extremely annoying and really sad that we can’t achieve this feature even with a plus account.

borne0311
Visitor
2 0 13

3 years later and this basic functionality STILL doesn't exist. Let coupons auto apply based on customer tags. When will this feature be released?

foxacoustics
Visitor
2 0 13
I've concluded that Shopify purposely gives you just enough to get a bare bones store up and running an attractive price. They know they will be able to nickel and dime you by selling each feature that you need one by one. If you notice there are no apps that offer 3,4 or 5 essential features in 1 fir $19.99 a month. They make you buy 3,4 or 5 separate apps at $19.99 a month. To get most of the features you need you end up spending $200+ a month just in apps.
NancyW
Visitor
2 0 7

Hello You still have not accomplished an auto discount with out using a code for Shopify or purchasing another app?

Skinjapan
Tourist
6 0 2

Hello

Still no progress on this feature?

GPT
Tourist
5 0 16

4 YEARS LATER we are also searching for this functionality (automatic discount to tagged customers/automatic discount based on region). Apps that are recommended here are very expensive for such simple functionality that can be implemented in only a few lines of code.

I am happy to help Shopify in implementing this functionality. Please contact me!

SingleLength
Excursionist
13 0 16

The problem is not that they don't know how to add the feature, it's that they don't want to. They would rather receive the revenue share from the apps that people pay for to add features like this, than implement it into the platform for free. It seems to be their business model. They built a fairly competent platform, but one that is missing many glaringly obvious features, and their solution to that is always "there's an app for that" - which of course costs money, and they get a piece of that. 

stiltwalker
Excursionist
10 0 26
I totally get the “add and app to increase revenue” model, but this isn’t 2009 anymore. They’ve had well over 10 years to sweeten the pot and keep their software competitive. Their competition includes features and benefits natively in their software that Shopify leaves to the app community. And you know the old adage, “If you want something done right, do it yourself”. Although there are many great apps, there are just as many duds. Shopify needs to consider the fact that a bad app is a bad experience to their end users and a bad mark on the brand. IMO, I believe Shopify has a great opportunity to boost the overall satisfaction of their clientele by giving them periodic feature enhancements that add value to their clients. Currently, their lack of including a LxWxH field for products makes calculating accurate shipping costs a nightmare (especially with their Default box option). Just not sure who thought this was a good idea of there? And how come no modern e-commerce software utilizes AI for help build a product? For example, on the manufacturing or distribution side of business, a product doesn’t typically come as one unit (each). They often come in a case of X boxes with Y units per box. Are any e-commerce companies going to finally elevate the game here? Why aren’t they asking questions as part of a product set up, or providing fields to account for this level of product variant? This is core IMO, and none of the big ecomm brands are doing this well. If I want to sell an “each" product, why wouldn’t I want to offer a box and case price as well? Or have the case/box details and pricing in the system and associated to the individual product? They’ve completely missed the fact that products have other variants outside of decoration, etc. (i.e. color, size, etc.) Oh, and there’s a really big mistake that Shopify has done in my opinion… the biggest “no-no” of any software yet. They allow you to create identical product codes/sku for multiple items. Most databases consider the product code/sku as the key- the absolute one unique thing that cannot be duplicated natively in the database. This ensures accurate data and no duplicate products. Try it at the variant level (give all of your sizes or colors the same SKU. You’ll be surprised to know that someones fat fingers can completely destroy your data. At some point, Shopify started allowing this to happen out of the blue. Shopify having 24/7 chat support is the #1 reason I use them. I wish their product didn’t require it.