Apply automatic discount to tagged customers

jjansen
Tourist
6 0 36

Our store has a member discount and frequently offers member discounts on special events.  Is there a way to tag certain customers as a member, then have an item automatically discounted? Discount codes distributed to members only frustrates them if they can't find/remember the code, and could also be passed to non-members or wind up on some on-line coupon list.

Replies 85 (85)
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1919 180 410

Hi @jjansen,

Thank you for getting in touch and asking your question. I can see why this feature would be helpful, and whilst we do offer an automatic discounts feature, it is not possible to set an automatic discount to apply only to specific customers. I'll be sure to submit this to our development team as a feature request and it will be considered for implementation in future.

However, you should be able to achieve what you're looking for via the use of an app. The Automatic Discount app allows you to set automatic discounts dependent on who's making the purchase, meaning specific tags can be added to customer accounts and only those with those tags will be eligible for the discount in question. There is also an app called Bold Custom Pricing which offers a similar function along with a number of other features. Either one of these apps should allow you to achieve what you're looking to do.

I hope this has helped explain things but please do let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

WMedia
2 0 19

$60 USD per month for what is fairly obvious and basic functionality based on tags seems ridiculous.  As per the comment at the bottom of the thread, any update on progress of this request going back almost 12 months?  Thx

mikemckerracher
1 0 20

Come on Shopify clearly so many people want this feature.

jt49
Tourist
4 0 15

has shopify made any progress on this?

Allan-EP
Shopify Partner
32 0 44

Count me in as yet another annoyed shopify user requesting the same feature. It's especially dumb that this doesn't exist for automatic discounts when IT'S ALREADY POSSIBLE with discount codes. 

It's these sort of little limitations in shopify that prevents it from being a truly great platform. 

mandauefoam
2 0 5

We're also looking for this kind of feature.

greiseve
Explorer
63 1 67

we ended up using WHOLESALE CLUB from Pixel Union. great product, great service... 

it's fairly sad that Shopify does not support and continue to develop the lower levels of their plans like one would expect. these are some basics along with some other bugs that have not been addressed...

mandauefoam
2 0 5

What we ended up using is SELLY UNITED no code injection and will not messed with your variations. Plus! Great support too!

Cinda7
Tourist
7 0 11

This is exactly what I need but don’t want to pay for expensive apps. I just want a percentage discount for customers with accounts

Aurelio
1 0 8

Hey @Victor 

This is an essential feature for a lot of merchants and honestly, it isn't so hard to implement as Shopify already offers discounts based on segmentation. 
Have you had made any progress here? 

Best, 

Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1919 180 410

Hi @Aurelio,

It is still not possible to apply an automatic discount code to customer groups by tag, unfortunately. I am continuing to submit feedback to our development team about this feature request. As mentioned by others in this thread, apps such as SELLY and Automatic Discount apps are worth looking into if you're needing this functionality.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

jsciabica
Excursionist
16 0 39

Count my vote for this being a NATIVE feature.  Please simply add a "Customer Tagged" section to the built-in discounts feature.

stiltwalker
Tourist
9 0 14

I feel that Shopify is restricting this basic feature in order to force customers that require wholesale pricing to upgrade to Shopify Plus.  I hope Shopify hears me when I say, "the majority of wholesale customers will continue to place Purchase Orders from their internal ERP System anyway, so that the PO's are automatically entered into their system.  For some of us (your customers), we cannot justify leveling up to Shopify Plus for the amount of wholesale business we will do over the web.  As much as we would love our wholesale customers to shop online, their AR/AP teams prefer to have PO's created from their accounting systems, and either sent by email, or fax.  Giving us the ability to simply tag customers, and then create automatic discounts based on these tags provides a simple way to offer basic wholesale pricing.  It will not be ideal, nor will it give as much control to being exacting with pricing, but it's a simple way to provide X percent off different collections - and all that some of us smaller companies (that may never be able to afford Shopify Plus) need."

greiseve
Explorer
63 1 67

Agreed. There are too many basic functions that are missing even in the most expensive non Plus plan. But to justify 700% more on an ecom solution to have access to some of these basics seems ridiculous. It’s almost like we’re held at gun point. 

Mike_Grusin
Tourist
8 0 27

Another vote here. More and more often I look for what should be an obvious feature (automatic discount to specific customers), only to find in these forums that it doesn't exist and I need to "get an app." It's becoming obvious that Shopify doesn't want to add features that may reduce app revenue, so I'll begin looking for another platform. Recommendations welcome. 

memetican
1 0 2

Well that was an exciting 10 minutes of reading.

I haven't seen any replies in the past year or so from Team Shopify, and no updates on when this will be added, so I suspect that they are no longer monitoring the forum. 

May I suggest we use it for something more useful?

I'll take X's

memetican_0-1635923027258.png

lcr1
Excursionist
18 0 23

Yea they don't read or improve it.

We are switching platform because of this.

memetican_0-1635923027258.png

Gabe_Stillwater
Excursionist
15 0 17

We are on PLUS and this still isn't available? C'mon!! Telling your best customers that they have to enter a code at checkout to get the discount is mediocre at best.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
5189 464 1125

@Gabe_Stillwater wrote:

We are on PLUS and this still isn't available? C'mon!! Telling your best customers that they have to enter a code at checkout to get the discount is mediocre at best.

Plus stores should be using line-item checkout-scripts

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/checkout-settings/script-editor/examples/line-item-scripts#produc... 

Finally Combinable Discounts - EARLY ACCESS ONLY - Use Free Shipping With Other Discounts

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org
Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
Gabe_Stillwater
Excursionist
15 0 17

@PaulNewton That is an interesting workaround with a script. Thanks for posting!

farmhouseam
1 0 0

Agreed- We were even told that this was a feature of Plus. 

Ram_A
Excursionist
36 3 6

Is there any update on this after 3 Years!!

I don’t want to give customer info access to an APP just to do this simple feature. 

FileNumberDate
Excursionist
35 0 12

I am developing sites across different platforms, and honestly Shopify is not your go-to solution if you want to build your own good looking website.

Here I can only recommend using Wordpress.

Shopify is lacking basic functionalities and options to change behaviour. Something you would never run into on a WordPress site.

There is so much documentation on WordPress you find a solution to most things.

Trust me, Shopify might launch such update in maybe 10 years from now. But let's be honest. Noone is going to wait so long for something so basic.

And you are right! For every plugin installed, you give information to 3-party apps you don't know how handles your information.

And you will be screwed in regard to GDPR laws.

ATTENTION!
Stay hydrated!
Thank you for your attention.
Coastalcrown
Shopify Partner
1 0 2

You’re 100% right sir. We switched away. To Wordpress and woocommerce that is. When searching around we found out that most places have more futures as standard than what Shopify have. Even on paid plain.

nathanhelloari
2 0 3

Agreed, since it's already available for discount codes, it shouldn't be difficult to add to automatic discounts. Third party apps can interfere with other apps, for example Wholesale Discounts breaks the Appstle subscription app. Three years seems like plenty of time for the dev team at Shopify to have added this. 

Kampguru
Tourist
4 0 8

Any news on this feature? It's a bit strange not to have it in default platform.

SamiPA
Tourist
6 0 19

Not sure if this has been discussed, the issue with using an app for functionality is app conflicts. The more apps you add the more issues you're going to have. Not all apps work together. So if you're using something to modify the theme page and the app doesn't natively support the other app you are screwed. You then play the "who's error is it" when things go wrong and of course everyone wants to push you into getting an app developer. We use ninja and every major release have issues with the app not applying the discount to random customers. They can't work out why. We are looking at Bold for our website update but they admit there are issues between discounting and bundles. Additionally using an app, through their checkouts then causes issues with modifying orders and refunds - you lose standard Shopify features and you pay for that "privilege"!!!

I'm going to say this loudly because apparently, Shopify are sitting at the back on this considering how long this thread has been open 

SHOPIFY: ** USING AN APP IS NOT ALWAYS THE SOLUTION **

We spoke to Shopify about plus recently thinking it would help save us on apps but it basically just works better with apps - so you're spending a crazy amount + additional development which isn't exactly feasible even for those who have the recommended turnover. There needs to be a solution between Advanced and Plus or be able to add Shopify's discounting engine/flow as a paid app.

There are so many things that should be available as standard in Shopify and I can't get over the fact that you can limit discounts by customer group if they use a code but not automatically.

greiseve
Explorer
63 1 67

@SamiPA 

I’ll only say AMEN!

standard solutions shouldn’t necessitate Apps from third parties. 

advanced to Plus is a ridiculous price jump and based on your conversations clearly not worth the time to even consider. 

wonder how many people have switched platforms. Going through that hassle once intimidates me but if at the end we have a better product...

rsShop
1 0 2

This would be extremely beneficial… personally I would like to offer a permanent discount to all of my customers that bought the very first product I offered.

would love for you to make this happen!

chris

greiseve
Explorer
63 1 67

@Victor any updates on this? it has been close to 2.5 years... nothing... nada...

what are the top requests from Shopify customers? is there a board we can all vote on?

Shopify and Tobi Lüdtke did a great job in the pandemic being the NonAmazon... great article in Bloomberg last week... 

HOWEVER this is something that comes from the ground up... front line feedback... do something for your Net Promoter Score... 

Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1919 180 410

Hi @greiseve,

Shopify has an internal system where members of support can log feedback received from our merchants for feature requests and changes, and these are taken into consideration when our development team makes decisions on improvements that can be made across the Shopify platform. I know that this particular request is a popular one and our development team are aware of this area of friction for our merchants.

I do not have more information to share about if this change is going to be made or when it may be made, but I will continue logging feedback we receive and if and when there is an update to provide, I will make an effort to do so here.

lcr1
Excursionist
18 0 23

So many request but the first one was 13 of September 2019. And I have looked around here and a lot of basic things get the respond get an app.

What will change now? its been 2 years. I see even Shopify pluss don't have this. What a shame. 

You were once a good platform back in the day, but then it went straight downhill. And are keep going down.. 

My company are changing because of this. and I know a lot are doing the same. You could have made a killing platform for the e-commerce, but refuse to do so.

JeffSpurlock
Tourist
3 0 5

This is insane to me. 3 years later we're still talking about this. I should be able to have not only apply discount by customer tag, but also an exclusion, apply discount if customer tags do not contain "xxx"

This is simple, and the only reason you're not doing it is because it would put some apps out of business. But it should. Those apps only exist because you refuse to add what should be a bare minimum basic feature. 

Jacqueline143
1 0 0

Hi, 

Is there a app that integrates with Shopify POS that does this same thing? 

Ghiath
2 0 1

@Victor any update about this feature? I’m a plus member and I can’t achieve that in my regular store. It’s a very basic feature that can be implemented easily since you guys were able to do it in the wholesale channel.

either give us more control over the wholesale channel or give us this feature on our main website. 

it’s extremely annoying and really sad that we can’t achieve this feature even with a plus account.

borne0311
2 0 9

3 years later and this basic functionality STILL doesn't exist. Let coupons auto apply based on customer tags. When will this feature be released?

foxacoustics
2 0 9
I've concluded that Shopify purposely gives you just enough to get a bare bones store up and running an attractive price. They know they will be able to nickel and dime you by selling each feature that you need one by one. If you notice there are no apps that offer 3,4 or 5 essential features in 1 fir $19.99 a month. They make you buy 3,4 or 5 separate apps at $19.99 a month. To get most of the features you need you end up spending $200+ a month just in apps.
NancyW
1 0 5

Hello You still have not accomplished an auto discount with out using a code for Shopify or purchasing another app?

Skinjapan
Tourist
6 0 1

Hello

Still no progress on this feature?

Risa
Shopify Partner
327 16 38

@jjansen 

App Selly can offer discount based on customer tags for you too:

https://apps.shopify.com/selly

★ SELLY UNITED - The front solution to increase sales for online store and POS - https://apps.shopify.com/selly
greiseve
Explorer
63 1 67

check this discussion 

https://community.shopify.com/c/Technical-Q-A/Custom-Pricing-Based-on-Customer-Tag/m-p/523051/highli...

we are trying to solve a similar problem... it should be straight forward, if a customer is tagged 'X', give discount of 'Y' at checkout automatically...

it shouldn't necessitate an app or upgrading to Shopify Plus for $2000 a month...

also check this piece of code out that I found in the above discussion... it at least seems to add automatically a discount code and the customer only needs to hit APPLY... not ideal UI but better than spending a lot of money...

https://wearetmbr.com/shopify-auto-fill-discount-code-on-checkout-page/

hope this helps... and yes Shopify, please add a simple feature to apply a discount to selected customers automatically or allow smaller retailers to create a Wholesale channel without paying a $1920.01 premium... 

ChilliGal
2 0 30

I am struggling to understand why you cannot apply a discount according to a customer's tag.  It's almost totally counter intuitive with regards to customer retention and I was kind of expecting it to be an intrinsic feature of Shopify.  Certainly agree that it's not worth upgrading to Premium to enable me to give away more money, but it leaves me questioning what value tags have in reality.....

greiseve
Explorer
63 1 67
I hear you!

We ended up going with Wholesale Club. Great app. Great service. Reasonably priced.
ModestMerchant
1 0 18

Hi Shopify,

Any advance on this please? I feel it's a very simple and easy request to fix,

Thank you

Glassy_Al
Tourist
8 0 14

And...one more vote to the list of “please make this native”

PresetLion
Excursionist
14 0 8

Another one here! Its strange how you think its the #1 in the ecommerce market but does not offers so many things as native. At the end you pay 300$ just to have everything you need for a shop solution.. 😞

lcr1
Excursionist
18 0 23

My vote as well! Please make this simple thing native!

A ecommerce should have add discount to customer as a standard.

jsciabica
Excursionist
16 0 39

Well, this feature would not be very useful because Shopify limits to one active discount at a time...  That needs to be addressed first (or simultaneously).

I've heard that a more robust discount system is in the works, but it will be months at least.

WMedia
2 0 19
And in the meantime, Shopify expect people to use an addon that costs twice the monthly Shopify subscription. It concerns me that Shopify's roadmap for such basic functionality is subject to conflicts of interest in revenues it derives from app commissions.
foxacoustics
2 0 9

That's how they make money. Get you in the door with a cheap plan then nickle and dime you for each and every feature. $10 plugin here, $20 plugin there. Next thing you know you're spending more on plug ins than the basic plan.

Arundas
Shopify Partner
71 3 88

@foxacoustics wrote:

That's how they make money. Get you in the door with a cheap plan then nickle and dime you for each and every feature. $10 plugin here, $20 plugin there. Next thing you know you're spending more on plug ins than the basic plan.

That's right! Shopify no longer builds new features that aren't app-dependent. They earn commissions from every app subscription, so why should they? The core Shopify product hasn't changed in years, and every thread here asking for a simple change is met with the same answer: "Get an app!"

Recently, Shopify released its own subscription feature which integrates subscriptions into the checkout for a seamless experience for our customers. BUT here's the kicker: it's not available to you and me as a native feature! It's closed off behind an API, and only app developers can make use of it. Basically, if you want to use this new feature, you need to install an app that makes use of the API, and then the app acts as the front-end for the feature while the back-end is native in Shopify.

That's how deeply ingrained Shopify's app-commission-based business model is!

If my reply helped you, please give it a Like and mark it as Accepted Solution.
Do you need help customizing your theme or editing code? Email me!
lcr1
Excursionist
18 0 23

ye. Was thinking of the business model they have at 2000$ here but it’s a no go at our company. We will switch our platform for way more just so we can drop the apps and such.

mnearents
Shopify Partner
77 4 37

Hey Shopify,

It would be really helpful to have customer eligibility for automatic discounts like we do for manual codes. It seems like the only reason it's not available is to leave functionality for app developers to profit from (specifically membership apps). But this seems like a small thing that would be a big win. Imagine, not having to pay monthly to offer discounted pricing to tagged customers! I have plenty of apps I'm paying for functionality, but for something this specific/small, it's hard to want to pay $30/mo for a bunch of features you don't need just to get this one feature. I love Shopify and hope they consider this feature at some point.

Glassy_Al
Tourist
8 0 14

Just following up on my original up vote on this topic... I'd still love to see this part of the base, but I was able to solve my problems using the Locksmith app. Gave me complete control of pricing, collections, etc by customer. And was cheap ($9). Outstanding customer service too. So for those of you looking for a solve on this, I give them a thumbs up.

DifferentDogs
Tourist
11 0 8

I also need this feature. It's actually super annoying that you can't have more than 1 automatic discount operating at once. That should not be limited to 1.

shop20201
Tourist
6 0 6

Don't worry about getting left out if you are on a lower plan. If you have Plus you still do not get the feature everyone in this thread is looking for. On top of that, the Automatic Discount app charges way more if you are on plus. Extremely frustrating.

jsciabica
Excursionist
16 0 39

If you're on Plus, it is rather cumbersome, but you accomplish this through Scripts.  I have an elaborate script providing discounts based on customer tags.  I also use Flow to auto-tag customers based on order criteria.

I needed help writing the Script, ask your account rep, but Flow is pretty intuitive.

(I still wish the built-in discount feature had customer tags)

HOOKUP
2 0 7

This isnt aging well. Shopify is clearly ignoring this. I feel bad that we made this jump. Apps slow down sites... also spending another 20-50 a month for a feature that is EXPECTED is really making me change my mind on this platform.

Metric_Boom
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

Hello!  We are attempting to setup exactly what you claimed to have done using Shopify Plus and scripts.  Would you mind sharing a resource on how to do this, or better yet, who we can hire to implement it for us?  Thank you in advance!

The MacGyver of eCommerce | Revenue Optimization Expert | 26 Years of Omnichannel E-commerce Experience

Metric Boom is a boutique e-commerce consulting agency offering business strategy, custom dev, operations optimization, systems, inventory planning, and more. For established brands, we offer fractional c-suite services.
Ghiath
2 0 1
If you are a plus member you can achieve this by creating price lists,
create a company profile for that customer and assign the price list to it.

This is the easiest solution so far based on my experience without having
to go to the customization route
SamiPA
Tourist
6 0 19

you shouldn't need to spend an exorbitant amount to get such a basic feature. We were  recommended to go to plus considering our monthly shopify spend with apps. The problem is we would then have to still spend on the apps making the costs to run our website absolutely ridiculous. 

Emilie_Jalie
Excursionist
16 0 7

Totally agree with you. Not only are apps expensive, but with the number of apps we need to cover all those little things that should be native, we run into issues, incompatibilities and more bugs to fix and countless emails with the multiple support teams... I cannot wait for this feature (automatic discount based on tags, adding variants criteria would be icing on the cake!) so we can ditch the app we are currently using!

mich5
1 0 5

Here is another frustrated Shopify website user that doesn't understand why this isn't* a native feature.

My new website just went live recently, and we are trying to incentivize our customers to use the site rather than make a phone call or email but it is not worth it to them if their discount is manual. How can I as the company owner even bring sales online if it seems they'll get their discount through good ol' phone calls and email and NOT get it as simply with what is the "newer" technology. 

Please get this settled. New ERP solutions are also including e-commerce platforms that can seem more integrated and powerful than this. How can you retain your customers, Shopify, if this is what is going on?

Denise-in-NZ
Tourist
9 0 8

I agree with everyone... should be standard feature. And I refuse to pay for an app to give people a discount - lose lose! Especially when it is like USD$10 a month (which is @$20 for me - we do not all trade in US!) and we only have specific people using it.  To me all Shopify has to do is modify the automatic discount to include the Specific Groups bit, then it would be good.

I got it going with a work around.

Here is what I did:

1. Made a discount code called Wholesale for x% off with customer elegibility a specific group (tags).
  2. Added this code to the top of the cart.liquid page (under the <form class ... tag) {% if customer.tags contains 'Wholesale' %}
    <input type="hidden" name="discount" id="discount" value="Wholesale"/>
    {% endif %}

I think that is all I did. I found a how-to by googling it. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I am trying to find out why or when it does or does not. 

Personally, I think it would be an easy feature for shopify to add!

GrayVikingGames
1 0 1

@Denise-in-NZ were you able to get this to work consistently?  Interested in your workaround.  

Denise-in-NZ
Tourist
9 0 8

@GrayVikingGames  - All my testing it works, even in incogneto mode. The clients it does not work for are long time customers so i wonder if it is a caching issue at their end. My most likely explanation. Any new customers it works 100%.

I have tried to find the original post i got it from... found these 

https://community.shopify.com/c/technical-q-a/giving-specific-customers-a-discount/m-p/1239448

https://serieseight.com/journal/how-to-create-shopify-wholesale-accounts-without-an-app/

https://wearetmbr.com/shopify-auto-fill-discount-code-on-checkout-page/

None of these are exactly where i got the code from but similar concept. 

I have a small amount of wholesale customers so I have changed the discount code under "Customer Elegibility" to work for specific customers only and selected my wholesale customers in there. This way no one else can use it even if they get the code. 🙂

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
5189 464 1125

@Denise-in-NZ , @GrayVikingGames 

When you do something like this of course use a harder to guess discount code and use an automation app on the backend to validate that orders getting that discounts should be allowed to use it.

Otherwise there's a good chance your hemorrhaging money to the wrong segment, especially with tools like honey scraping and injecting discount codes for consumers.

Finally Combinable Discounts - EARLY ACCESS ONLY - Use Free Shipping With Other Discounts

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org
Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
Gloomrains
Tourist
4 0 4

I would like to add my vote for support in this becoming a native feature, and frankly, I was very surprised to find it wasn't already. I actually can't believe the official response from Shopify was to 'buy an app'. You are genuinely suggesting your customers spend upwards of $30USD a month for an external app to simply tag specific customer groups for automatic discounts? Shopify, are you serious? That's extortion.

Please add this feature @Shopify

gxvna
1 0 1
I am also looking for the same solution to this problem. I already have so many apps downloaded. A simple function as such shouldn't require a $30 per month app.
Drew111
Tourist
6 0 6

Add it. Wake up and add it. Do it now. Make it native to the software. Do it. Do it. Do it. now.

LS_Hamburg
Excursionist
11 0 5

I'm just building my store now. Researched every possible method of doing a wholesale part of my website. And somehow I am now just coming across the most simple option, which is to allow automatic discounts for tagged customers or specific customers. Discount codes have specific customers, but automatic discounts do not, because of course this would directly enable the wholesale part of your website.

This isn't like my little 'Instafeed' app, for example. This should be a core function of Shopify. 

And most wholesale apps cost at least the same MONTHLY price as Shopify itself, at least doubling your website cost? Get out of here.

Anyone have any alternatives to Shopify to have a simple price reduction for certain customers?

This is really annoying me. I have put so much time into adapting this website to how I want it to, adding some things that I thought should already be there. This is really the final straw. I'm looking at alternatives to @Shopify now.

Andrew_Silver
1 0 6