Solved

Apply discount together with free shipping

Tehreem
Shopify Partner
22 0 26

Hi,

Is there a way I can apply a fixed discount (or percentage) together with free shipping? Or any workaround?

Thanks

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

This is an accepted solution.

Hey everyone,

Good news! Discount Combinations are here. You can now combine discount codes (manual or automatic) and have multiple automatic discounts running at the same time. Check out our announcement to learn more!

This also works with the newly released option to create automatic free shipping discount feature we launched September 13. 

If you have questions about Discount Combinations then please create a new post in the Shopify Discussions board. If you need account specific help with your discounts, then please contact Shopify Support directly.

Thank you!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 354 (354)
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@forkandmelon 

Thank you for taking the time to explain how this would benefit your business, and how by not having it negatively affects your business. I've gotten this feedback added to the existing feature request to further add to use cases for why this should be added. Using a third-party app such as Upsell may be your best route here given that you've tried all viable workarounds that exist natively within the platform. 

@KossmanDesigns @areliasdream 

I hear what you're saying, and believe me, this is a feature that I've wanted to be added to the platform for some time. Regretfully, the "why" to why we don't have it isn't something I have access to, however, I do know that these type of features aren't as easy to implement as one would expect. As you can imagine, we receive hundreds of different requests, which require a lot of man-hours to review to fully understand what would be required to get these type of features launched. As we grow, we are able to deploy more man hours to these projects to help make them a reality, so while we haven't yet gotten this added, I can say that our teams are reviewing this further. 

tinalykkemadsen
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi Peter.

I need this feature too. I switched to Shopify on march 1st (I've beenin business for 12 years), and needed this feature so many times since. I sell offline too on certain events and offer a discount on the event. And as the customers get their goods right away of course they shall not pay for shipping.

Please put my vote in there.

Regards Tina

circledby
Visitor
2 0 6

Add my vote.  We need this feature to stack free shipping with discount.  Influencers don't want to pay shipping when getting free samples.

FabFantasies
Excursionist
14 0 13

We need it too. Please add this feature.

Earhoox
Visitor
1 0 3
Please add my vote in support of developing a discount + free shipping coupon option. We recently converted to Shopify from Woo and this was a feature we've been using for years.
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

Hello, Everyone!

Thank you for expressing your continued interest in getting this feature added to the Shopify platform. I've added your votes to the existing feature request so our developers are aware there's further interest in implementing stackable discounts. 

Happy selling!

Kevin_222
Visitor
1 0 3

I've been hoping for this also since I switched from Volusion last year. It was so simple to do with them and it sounds like every other major shopping platform has this. I just went to one of my competitor's websites and a popup comes up that says "10% Off and Free Shipping on First Order with Coupon Code: XYZ". That would be huge if we could do something similar. Or is there something that I'm missing??

Haydes77
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi Peter,

Please throw an extra big vote from me to this issue too. This has been identified as our biggest source of abandoned carts. We have an ongoing discount code for new customers off their first order, with over half dropping out because it takes them below the free shipping threshold. We can't reduce the free shipping threshold across the board, but need to be able to offer it to these customers who use the promo code. Reading through the comments seems this one is widespread across the community and needs to be addressed. Appreciate the follow up to get a resolution soon.

I'm no IT whizz, but surely a 'give this discount code free shipping' check box is all that's required.

Thanks,

Hayden

Per_Arne
Excursionist
16 0 3

Hi Peter. Please add my vote as well... 👍

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Kevin_222 

You're not missing anything I'm afraid. This is a limitation of the platform; however, we are actively looking into getting this added in the future. I've added your vote to the feature request. 

@Haydes77 

Thank you for providing an example of a use case for how this feature will benefit you & your business. I've gotten that feedback added to the feature request. 

@Per_Arne 

I've added your vote!

AlvinUX
Visitor
2 0 1
Hi Peter,

we are an ecommerce from the Philippines and we badly needed this feature.

Please add my vote to this. Thank you
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@AlvinUX 

Thank you for expressing your interest. I've added your vote! 

abbie789
Visitor
2 0 0

HI, these discount stuff works well, as i have seen it many times on paintball guns website.

ScarlettRose
Visitor
1 0 1

Hey, is there an update on this? My Influencers will want to process their orders and can't be expected to pay for shipping. Please let me know ASAP!

Thanks

BigPresence
Visitor
1 0 0

We did this by writing a script in the Shopify Script Editor. It would be a little different for each store based on the names of your shipping rates, but it can be done. DM me for help and I'd be glad to assist.

Kirsty5
Visitor
1 0 0

What is the latest on this?  This is a super simple improvement that should be able to be done in a single dev sprint? 

CTAMS
Tourist
3 0 3

Exactly!

TomChi89
Visitor
2 0 1

Agree! 

To Shopify stuff, if that's to much to ask then perhaps allow us to put multiple discount offer / code please? 

Charles_Arconi
Visitor
1 0 1

I don't believe you. Another "shopifier" posted some code that "used" to work. After a short time it no longer works, my guess is Shopify changed something to break it so that we have to spend extra on apps that shopify gets a percentage of. many other platforms do not do this, they allow combined discount codes or discount codes that do more than one thing. Such as 10% off and free shipping. Shopify can fix this easily (I'm a programmer and I know you can) but you don't want to. Please just be honest with everyone and tell the truth so we can decide if its financially sensible to stay at Shopify or leave.

melchua
Tourist
5 0 1

what is the point of a 12 page threaed that has been ongoing for years and not resolved???

LAMBERTONES
Excursionist
24 0 7

I'm going to take a guess and say that Shopify has limited themselves to releasing features that could be built by their application marketplace..

There is an app called "Discounts Combine" - https://apps.shopify.com/discounts-combine?surface_detail=multiple+discounts&surface_inter_position=...

I used it for a couple months, and it works.. sort of. If you use "Advanced Product Options" BEWARE and do not use. If multiple discounts are combined it effectively erases the custom options ordered, so now you're contacting every customer figuring out what they wanted for options. NOT COOL.

If you're using the Shopify's native options and that's all you need then this app is for you and works as designed.

Kathrin2
Visitor
1 0 0

I agree. We get that Shopify want us to buy their apps, but this is a very basic feature that should be available in the shop. Can't believe this hasn't been resolved in two years.

Chantelle_Laker
Tourist
4 0 1
I've worked out a way around this, if it's a one off order, the customer is someone you know or is a specific individual like an influencer, wholesaler etc and you know what productsbthey want. It means you creating an order on their behalf. Instructions are for the Shopify app so may differ on desktop:

1. Go to Order section of your Shopify and click + symbol to start a new order
2. Click 'Add product' and select the products the customer wants
3. Select 'Add customer' and enter their details. Include email address and postal address
4. Select 'Add discount' and set whatever discount amount or percentage you want to offer (no option for buy x get y type discount)
5. Select 'Add shipping' and select Free shipping (you will have to set up a free shipping rate in Shipping Settings in order to be able to select this here) or select Custom shipping and I believe you can set the value as £0.00
6. If there is an amount remaining for the customer to pay you can then select 'Email invoice' further down and I believe they will receive an email with a payment link. If there is nothing for the customer to pay then you can select 'Mark as paid' and an order confirmation email will automatically be sent to the customer as if they have placed an order on your website
7. The order will now be listed in your 'Orders' section as an unfilfilled order. Simply mark it as fulfilled when you're ready to dispatch and the custoner will receive your usual order dispatch confirmation email

I've just used this to create a completely free order for a giveaway winner and it seems to have worked

I'm guessing that if the customer makes a payment then that can be refunded as normal if required later on

Hope this helps some of you out!

Chantelle
pony
Visitor
2 0 0

Shopify, please jump on this! It is not helpful that there's been no movement on an update - I am trying to make my life easier and not have to create orders for about 30 local friends/family who want the friends/fam discount and are picking up in person. How is there not even a workaround that you don't have to pay for through an app?

yilmazcigrikci
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

Hi,

My customer needed 100% discount and free shipping. That's how I figured it out. By analyzing product price diversity, maybe something can happen. I wish shopify adds 🙂

100% discount and free shipping

1. Shipping Settings

Shipping zones : Select target zone or country (Europe or UK etc.)

Price based ratesFree Shipping : Range $0.00 – $0.01

2. Discount Codes

TypesPercentage

Value : 100

APPLIES TO : Entire order

Minimum requirements : No or customize

Customer eligibility : target customer

Target Customer

2.png

Customer

1.png

andyjmiller
Tourist
4 0 5

Great workaround. I ended up doing the same thing.

Ferpert
Visitor
1 0 4

I want to add a vote for this feature, please! 

WE NEED IT, please hurry!

imagine-sparrow
Tourist
5 0 2

Has there been any serious consideration at all for the ability to add 100% discount AND Free shipping to special customers?  I cannot believe you don't have this feature.  Seriously disappointed that I chose shopify as my platform instead of staying with Wordpress.  Please let me know where you are at with this.

jsyaruss
Tourist
12 0 2

Add another vote for needing this feature. I had it on my Joomla site that I am transitioning from.

It is yet another very basic feature that Shopify doesn't offer. Like others have said, had I known that such a simple feature was not available, I would have considered staying with my other platform. 

Sumairat
Tourist
5 0 1

I worked with a shopify guru on the phone for half an hour and this is the only way we were able to work around that. 

We set up free shipping in my shipping rates; not as a discount. Go to

"Settings"

"Shipping"

"Manage Rates"

"Add Rate"

Type in "Rate Name" as "Free Shipping" then click "Add Conditions" If you are going to set a minimun price condition, make sure to take into account what the price will be once the discount code is applied. 

After you have done this, then set up your discount code. 

Thomas_Romer
Explorer
45 0 30
I had to duplicate the item they wish to give away, and make it the only item assigned to the free shipping rate. BUT the item has to be hidden and if anyone finds out they could buy the item and get free shipping. It’s stupid that we have to do these workarounds. It should be as simple as adding a radio button, “free shipping with this code”. Why do we have to choose between a discount or free shipping?
RefuseToSay
5 0 0

@Sumairat wrote:

I worked with a shopify guru on the phone for half an hour and this is the only way we were able to work around that. 

We set up free shipping in my shipping rates; not as a discount. Go to

"Settings"

"Shipping"

"Manage Rates"

"Add Rate"

Type in "Rate Name" as "Free Shipping" then click "Add Conditions" If you are going to set a minimun price condition, make sure to take into account what the price will be once the discount code is applied. 

After you have done this, then set up your discount code. 

In my opinion, that is a horrible workaround as it now applies free shipping to all the products in your catalog that meet the pricing conditions. If you have one product in your catalog with the price range set for the free shipping method, then it's usable but the second you add more products (that you don't want to ship for free) you will have problems.

Thomas_Romer
Explorer
45 0 30

No it doesn’t. You can apply the Free rate to only ONE item in the store. The only lousy solution part is having to police any orders with that design and make sure they also have a code applied as ONLY people with the code should even know that page exists.

NOTE: You might not be aware but Shopify finally added a shipping rate area in the preferences where you can assign specific items to specific shipping rates. So if (like me) you sell lots of shirts but also posters in tubes — I can make a shipping rate for posters that require rates that will cover parcel prices versus the large envelope rates which apply to almost everything else. 

RefuseToSay
5 0 0

@Thomas_Romer wrote:

No it doesn’t. You can apply the Free rate to only ONE item in the store. The only lousy solution part is having to police any orders with that design and make sure they also have a code applied as ONLY people with the code should even know that page exists.

NOTE: You might not be aware but Shopify finally added a shipping rate area in the preferences where you can assign specific items to specific shipping rates. So if (like me) you sell lots of shirts but also posters in tubes — I can make a shipping rate for posters that require rates that will cover parcel prices versus the large envelope rates which apply to almost everything else. 

@Thomas_Romer  I apologize, you are correct. I saw that you can create a separate shipping profile and specify the products that are applicable but I still think it is a bad workaround even with this functionality. I know have to manage a discount in multiple locations instead of being able to add it as part of a single rule. This is still bad UX in my opinion.

Thomas_Romer
Explorer
45 0 30

No, again– it works in my case as I have a partner that is doing a giveaway. So they send the discount code with the link to the item’s secret page. As far as the user knows, they are just applying a code like any other and getting free shipping on the listing. My only issue is if people find the secret listing and even then, I can contact them and say that listing is only for campaign supporters and ask for shipping or refund it. But I have done much larger campaigns with secret listings where thousands of people did this and only maybe 2-3 people found and purchased an item that was secretly listed. 

RefuseToSay
5 0 0

@Thomas_Romer wrote:

No, again– it works in my case as I have a partner that is doing a giveaway. So they send the discount code with the link to the item’s secret page. As far as the user knows, they are just applying a code like any other and getting free shipping on the listing. My only issue is if people find the secret listing and even then, I can contact them and say that listing is only for campaign supporters and ask for shipping or refund it. But I have done much larger campaigns with secret listings where thousands of people did this and only maybe 2-3 people found and purchased an item that was secretly listed. 

In your case it will work but let me give a scenario (which can be common) where this will not work.

You have a discount offering a fixed amount discount of $10.00 and free shipping for product A if the customer also purchases product B and C. The customer can purchase A on their own in multiples or with product D, E, F etc. Your discount code will not apply as it shouldn't because the conditions were not met, but the free shipping may still be met for product A because the Weight or Price minimum (depending on how you set the condition on the specific free shipping profile) are met so now the customer got free shipping on a product where they didn't qualify. As a workaround, this is acceptable for some use cases and horrible for others.

Hence the reason that free shipping should be available as an option in all discount rules and not as a separate rule. This functionality is handled very well on Enterprise level software and should be added to Shopify.

Thomas_Romer
Explorer
45 0 30

I don’t think that is the case as the standard shipping rule will apply once anything is selected outside of the free category. I believe the way it works is that if they add anything over the cost of the free shipping — that rate applies. In this case it is $0. So if they add anything like a sticker, they will pay the sticker rate to add that sticker. If they add another tee… they will pay the rate for shipping one tee. etc, etc.

RefuseToSay
5 0 0

Again, it depends on the scenario.

In your case it works fine. In other cases this workaround fails.

I'll give you another possible scenario.

Products A - G

Discount rule applies to Product A giving a $10 discount on the condition that Products B and C are also in the cart. Additionally, I want to give Free Shipping to the whole cart only when these 3 items are purchased.

Under your workaround I can add the shipping profile that applies to product A, B, and C when the cart is a specific price or weight range. But then what if I add in addition to the three products Products D, E and F. Under my desired condition the cart should be given free shipping not only the first three products. I would then need to modify the profile to include these three products. Except now they can be given free shipping if they are included in a cart with where the products are D, E, F and G and does not include A, B, or C because product G's price or weight will still put the cart price and/or weight within the set range. 

This is a usable but flawed workaround.

The free shipping option needs to be included in the price rule giving the $10.00 discount as either applicable to the specific products or the whole cart. You should not have to create a different shipping profile for each possible combination of products receiving free shipping (and definitely should be basing it on a price and/or weight range),

Thomas_Romer
Explorer
45 0 30

Oh sure. I was just saying my workaround works for my purpose. The whole thing stinks. 

I also installed a plug-in that assigns the right shipping class to new items. This plug-in was causing an error for this same listing because I forgot to assign it also to that plug-in correctly. I mean, how many plug-ins do I have to pay for to get normal behavior from Shopify? Why can’t I assign the shipping class to the item when I create it? I have to remember each time a new item is added to the store to also adjust the shipping settings. 

Just like the coupon thing. Every platform allows combining standard coupon features like % off and free shipping. We should never have to install a plug-in to get a platform to do something all the others already do. No less — pay extra for it. 

Hypno
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I took out the shipping rates for countries outside of the US and it allowed me to do free shipping on orders that are $50+. I can still add my discount code on top of this and it doesn't forcefully take either out, they're combined. I wasn't able to do this yesterday I'm not sure if mine is glitched, but so far it's working for me.

webexpert
Excursionist
45 1 7

On shopify we can't apply two discounts offer on one products. You can offer percentage discount or Fixed with free shipping but percentage and fixed can't be used on the same time. Thanks

Webexpert
TammyD
Visitor
2 0 0
Thank you for your reply. We need to be able to offer a percentage discount plus free shipping. It’s beyond important and that is what everyone here is saying.

Anuska_De_Luca
Tourist
7 0 2

+ 1 vote for me - without it free shipping > $ does not work when people use a discount - they often end up having to pay for shipping. 

DDonna
Visitor
1 0 1

+1 vote from us. We are at the other side of the world also needed this feature. C'mon Shopify. 

CPG
Shopify Partner
8 0 2

I have figured out how to do this.

First create a custom shipping rate with the rule applied to create free shipping example orders over $50 and apply that rate to your domestic or other profile.

Then create your discount as normal in the discount setting.

Both will apply to the order when the 2 conditions are met.

William_H
Shopify Partner
30 3 5

+1 vote for me. This is basic stuff. I can't believe Shopify doesn't have this option yet!

Semispheres
Visitor
1 0 0

Is this possible yet??? I need to be able to offer an individual client specific 100% discount code + free shipping for sending items to influencers across the globe.

CPG
Shopify Partner
8 0 2
I posted the how to do this that I figured out today and tested. Apply the free shipping as a shipping rate and then the discount will work on top of that.
LAMBERTONES
Excursionist
24 0 7

@CPG wrote:
I posted the how to do this that I figured out today and tested. Apply the free shipping as a shipping rate and then the discount will work on top of that.

The problem with that method is it's available to your entire customer base.

i.e. I sell guitar pickups direct to customer and also supply to boutique guitar builders and retail shops. My builders and dealers have shipping accounts we use to ship their orders. In that case the free shipping as a shipping rate would be an option. However, all of our direct to customer orders need to have a shipping rate.

Thomas_Romer
Explorer
45 0 30

Right. I just noted how I do it, but in that case I have an item that already exists and I have to make another “secret” listing where it weights zero pounds that people with the code can access. This is absurd that I have to do it this way. But to do it for my whole catalog, I would have to duplicate everything and make it all weigh zero to get free shipping and somehow make that accessible to coupon holders only.

That’s nuts.