Solved

Apply discount together with free shipping

Tehreem
Shopify Partner
22 0 26

Hi,

Is there a way I can apply a fixed discount (or percentage) together with free shipping? Or any workaround?

Thanks

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

This is an accepted solution.

Hey everyone,

Good news! Discount Combinations are here. You can now combine discount codes (manual or automatic) and have multiple automatic discounts running at the same time. Check out our announcement to learn more!

This also works with the newly released option to create automatic free shipping discount feature we launched September 13. 

If you have questions about Discount Combinations then please create a new post in the Shopify Discussions board. If you need account specific help with your discounts, then please contact Shopify Support directly.

Thank you!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 354 (354)

Akanksha_Singh
Shopify Partner
18 0 4

Hi,

Yes, there's a way in Shopify to apply discount together with shipping, please find the below URL :

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/promoting-marketing/discount-codes/create-discount-codes

Hope this will help, let me know in case if you have some question.

Thanks,

AnaZuruga
Visitor
2 0 0

This is not what we are looking for but thank you for your interesting link. We want our stores to accept multiple discount at the same checkout. Please

jaycorban
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, I am creating gift cards for my store by creating a discount code for the buyer or receipient to use. However, when i test it, for example, the $25 discount code, it's only taking it off the item, not shipping. How do I set it so it takes it off the item as well as shipping up to the $25 or whatever the total amount is supposed to be? Thank you

jd347@optonline.net

Tehreem
Shopify Partner
22 0 26

I went through the link but couldn't quite figure out how I can give a fixed value discount and free shipping together. It says I can exlude free shipping over certain amount but I want to give some of my users a flat discount AND free shipping. Could you explain how it can be done?

Thanks

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

Hey, there! 

Natively, it's not currently possible to stack discount codes to offer both free shipping and discounted products. That said, I was able to find an existing feature request to have this added to your platform from other store owners who've requested the same thing. I've gone ahead and added your vote to this request to show our developers there is further interest in getting this added. Should this be something we're able to launch, then we'll make an announcement on our announcement page to keep everyone in the loop! 

In terms of a workaround, you could offer a free shipping rate, while still offering a discount code at the checkout which would give the best of both worlds. That said, the shipping rate can only be set per country, and not per product which does throw a wrench into things if you're hoping to limit free shipping to a specific product/collection. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hyascent
Visitor
1 0 18

We need this feature also.  Where can I go to add my vote?

Thanks!

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

Hey, @Hyascent!

Thank you for expressing your interest in getting this feature added to our platform. I've gone ahead and added your vote to our existing feature request so that our product team knows there's further interest in getting this implemented. 

forkandmelon
Tourist
5 0 53

Hello, we urgently need this feature as well. Is there any update on the status?

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

Hey, @forkandmelon!

No news on this feature request that I'd be able to share I'm afraid. May I ask what makes this an urgent requirement for your business? With further information, I can see what I can find in terms of a workaround, as well as add this to our existing feature request. 

Chat soon!

forkandmelon
Tourist
5 0 53

Hi Peter,

Our most common discount amount is equal to the amount we charge for shipping, when customers don't hit our minimum for free shipping. Therefore, our attempts to win new customers using our current discount codes are often unhelpful, since the discount ends up putting them just under the shipping threshold, making the coupon basically worthless (if that makes sense?) Offering a larger discount, or adjusting the shipping threshold, to counter the cancellation effect would negatively affect our business, so our desire is to be able to offer the discount plus free shipping in a code to these new customers for their first order. Being able to offer free shipping along with a discount seems very basic, and in looking into this before it seems Shopify customers have been requesting it for years. Really hoping it will become a standard feature as early as possible. Thanks for your help.

andyjmiller
Tourist
4 0 5

Exactly!!! How is is this feature has STILL not been implemented by Shopify?? 

Please add my vote for this feature...for whatever that's worth.

jess_vanderwaal
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi there!

Has this been resolved yet? We also experience the same problem. The discount given goes under the free shipping amount so the customer gets a code then applies it and the amount goes under free shipping amount so they are charged for shipping - it's a nightmare!!!

@forkandmelon wrote:

Hi Peter,

Our most common discount amount is equal to the amount we charge for shipping, when customers don't hit our minimum for free shipping. Therefore, our attempts to win new customers using our current discount codes are often unhelpful, since the discount ends up putting them just under the shipping threshold, making the coupon basically worthless (if that makes sense?) Offering a larger discount, or adjusting the shipping threshold, to counter the cancellation effect would negatively affect our business, so our desire is to be able to offer the discount plus free shipping in a code to these new customers for their first order. Being able to offer free shipping along with a discount seems very basic, and in looking into this before it seems Shopify customers have been requesting it for years. Really hoping it will become a standard feature as early as possible. Thanks for your help.

BKMc
Excursionist
11 0 9

Yes, we discovered a way to have both free shipping and a discount code with a new App, it’s called WordPress.

Seriously, we did discover a workaround for having both a discount and free shipping a couple of weeks ago but it’s cumbersome and it really shouldn't have to be, so we’ve made the decision to transfer our site to the WordPress platform and we are sooo happy we did. When you get tired of a help desk that doesn’t help and just repeats meaningless info (repeating Peter - our nickname for him) and tired of your site being held hostage, come join us.

SophieThwaites
Visitor
1 0 0

I have the same problem too, and would like to add my vote. I have automation emailed discounts of 10% for abandoned checkouts, but i will then get emails from some customers saying that they then no longer qualify for free shipping, rendering the 10% useless. So then i have to spend time making a special code just for them, figuring out what the discount would've been based on their cart and getting to the closest %age. 

CTAMS
Tourist
3 0 3

This is not rocket science that the community asking. We want a promo code so that customers or partners can order a sample/product for free. ANd free does not mean to pay for shipping....

KossmanDesigns
Visitor
1 0 25

Hi Peter,

I would both like to add my vote for this feature, and emphasize that this doesn't seem something that difficult to implement for it have taken so long to do so. You both have the ability to offer a discount on the cost, as well as free shipping, can you please explain the conditions preventing you from doing both simultaneously.

Evan

areliasdream
Visitor
2 0 9

I just switched over from woocommerce and this was a feature we had there. I want to be added to the list for voting to get this feature (Discount + free shipping) added. 

xxclotheshop
Visitor
1 0 1

Its a shame this feauture doesnt exist yet so far. We need it for our commerces!

I join the petition and here you have my vote.

ModernRefined
Visitor
1 0 1

Please cast our vote for this as well 

backaline
Visitor
1 0 1

Add our vote. We provide free evaluation samples to our clinical referral sources. They need to be able to order their samples online with a discount code. 

sikksikk
Visitor
2 0 1

hey, we need this feature too!!!

andyjmiller
Tourist
4 0 5

Maybe Shopify would prefer everyone on this thread switched to Woo Commerce...

@areliasdream wrote:

I just switched over from woocommerce and this was a feature we had there. I want to be added to the list for voting to get this feature (Discount + free shipping) added. 

Jacqueline1983
Visitor
2 0 3
Would really want to see this feature too. It really shouldn’t be a hard thing to add. Tons of other platforms allow this. As a shopper myself, I feel that the merchant isn’t being honest when they tell me I cannot stack my entitled discounts. Now I know that it’s the platform’s fault and shoppers don’t know that.
FabFantasies
Excursionist
14 0 13
Can we have an ETA on this feature? This has been a request for months now. I believe it’s quite a high priority issue for many businesses. It’s not a design but a revenue affecting problem. Would like to understand when will be implemented . Thank you.
ss7
Tourist
7 0 2

Please add my vote as well - every major shopping cart supports this.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

Hi, @ss7@FabFantasies@Jacqueline1983!

I don't have an ETA to share at this time, however, can confirm I've added your votes to the existing ballot. When our teams fully implement the feature, we will update our Announcement page to let everyone know. 

Thank you!

Ben49
Tourist
4 0 18

Glad to see someone at Shopify actually actively considering this.  Finally.  I consider this an embarrassing feature gap for Shopify.

Please add my vote to this feature.

FabFantasies
Excursionist
14 0 13

I would like to add another but related issue to combining discounts.

I would like to allow my customers to use the Coupon Codes at checkout on the items that are already on sale.

Currently this doesn't seem to function and I couldn't find a way to opt in.

Would be nice if the business owners had more control to stack the discount options.

This would increase the conversion rates in the stores.

Risa
Shopify Partner
327 16 39

Hi there,

App Selly can offer multiple discounts per order.

https://apps.shopify.com/selly

Let's check it out.

★ SELLY UNITED - The front solution to increase sales for online store and POS - https://apps.shopify.com/selly
Jacqueline1983
Visitor
2 0 3
Thanks for sharing. 🙂
Haven’t download the app to try. Frankly I do feel reluctant to have to pay for something that Shopify should have from the start.
Shopwoven
Visitor
1 0 1
Please add our vote for this feature, too!
RealScooters
Visitor
1 0 2

ADD MY VOTE AND GET THIS FEATURE DONE! This should be a standard feature SHOPIFY, not a requirement for some 3rd party... come on now!!!!!!!!!

BKMc
Excursionist
11 0 9

Hi Peter, can you let us know what the total on the votes on the ballot is so far? And, just as important what is the magical number of votes needed to get the teams to work on this feature? One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of these sites are people's business' and their income and things like "maybe, kinda, sorta, hopefully, if we pray and vote and cross our fingers" isn't the best way to plan for the future of a business. Appreciate you replying to the messages and nothing personal, but please make the effort and give us information we can actually work with. 

kyledh_glas
Visitor
1 0 2

Add my vote too!

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@kyledh_glas , @RealScooters , @Shopwoven 

I've added your vote!

@BKMc 

This wouldn't be information that I'd be able to provide; however; I can give a bit of insight into how a feature request is brought to light. When reviewing whether a feature request is viable, we don't only look at the total number of votes. The type of stores, the geolocation, the specific use cases, and a variety of other factors play into what determines what features we should work towards. We also have to consider the impact this type of feature would have, both positive, and negative and how do we mitigate the negative outcomes, while still providing the positives. For example, this type of feature if used incorrectly could cause financial damage to the store owner as stackable discounts allow customers to essentially "cheat" the system. 

I would love to see this feature added to the platform, however; these type of things do take time to create, test, and implement to ensure all factors are considered. While I can't provide an ETA, I can assure you that our teams are reviewing this feature request, it's risks, it's positives, and it's impact so that we can better the platform for you and everyone else's business that would benefit from stackable discounts.

Allison_Foley
Shopify Partner
7 0 4

Please add my vote as well. Several of our affiliates have requested this exact type of discount, and it's frustrating not to be able to offer it. Thanks for your assistance, Peter!

fishpond
Visitor
1 0 1

Can you add my vote too please!

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@fishpond  & @Allison_Foley 

Thank you for expressing your interest. I've added your votes! 

whitetea
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi Peter, please add my vote too. With regards to your concern about customers exploiting the stackable discount codes, what would be really helpful would be to create a new classification of discount code that is a combination of percentage discount and free shipping. 

silviacc
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Peter, please add our vote as well. Putting together a launch email and disappointed that we're still unable to offer free shipping + a discount.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@whitetea 

I've added your vote & thank you for providing your additional feedback! I've added that to the feature request. 

@silviacc & @andyjmiller 

Thank you for expressing interest in this feature. I've added both of your votes to the feature request!

andyjmiller
Tourist
4 0 5

@Trevor 10 pages of comments / votes and counting, dating back to 2018.

When does this simple feature request get it's time to shine?

@Trevor wrote:

@whitetea 

I've added your vote & thank you for providing your additional feedback! I've added that to the feature request. 

@silviacc & @andyjmiller 

Thank you for expressing interest in this feature. I've added both of your votes to the feature request!

AllINSP
Shopify Partner
5 0 6

Please add me to the list.  I'm shocked this isn't here yet, and and it seems a backwards step to have to remove our free-shipping over X amount, so that we can offer discounts on our products.  Stackable discounts, or at least free shipping and discounts please!  An ETA would be wonderful as well, instead of telling us you hope this happens.

ChefsBFF
Visitor
1 0 1

Please add me to the list also.  Need to send samples to influencers

elementoutdoors
Visitor
1 0 1

Please add me to the list for this feature, even the crappiest storefront ecwid has this feature.

lbritt
Visitor
2 0 1

Yes, please please please add this feature. @Trevor can you add my vote to the feature requests too? Thanks!

MRWS
Visitor
1 0 1
Looks like this is still not available after two years of requests. Let the search for a new platform begin.
SoonerMama
Tourist
11 0 3
Nope.
CPG
Shopify Partner
8 0 2

I would like to add my vote to this as well is there any eta especially with the C-19 issue going on.