Solved

Apply discount together with free shipping

Tehreem
Shopify Partner
22 0 26

Hi,

Is there a way I can apply a fixed discount (or percentage) together with free shipping? Or any workaround?

Thanks

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

This is an accepted solution.

Hey everyone,

Good news! Discount Combinations are here. You can now combine discount codes (manual or automatic) and have multiple automatic discounts running at the same time. Check out our announcement to learn more!

This also works with the newly released option to create automatic free shipping discount feature we launched September 13. 

If you have questions about Discount Combinations then please create a new post in the Shopify Discussions board. If you need account specific help with your discounts, then please contact Shopify Support directly.

Thank you!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 354 (354)
melchua
Tourist
5 0 1
Hi all. I don’t think this thread is helping. Have just messaged Shopify on IG hoping that they will get someone to address this. It would be great if you could do the same (hopefully it gets their attention there) or let us know of any other avenues to raise this.
Androo
Tourist
4 0 2
Great if we can get some attention for what seems an obvious requirement.
Thomas_Romer
Explorer
45 0 30

What I do is make free things weigh zero. So anything that ships free would be in shipping class for items below .01 lbs. Which also works if they get the item and some that require shipping. So that item will add no weight and in effect getting it free shipping, but not the other.

However, this is not a way to do this. I should be able to offer any item in my store at a discount AND with free shipping if I want. All this trickery only works in specific cases and the average user might not figure out how to trick it into working. This is POOR customer service on Shopify’s part. It makes me think there must be some crazy programming entanglement that is making this impossible to do. Otherwise, you would think they would just have done it years ago.

Anuska_De_Luca
Tourist
7 0 2

I believe I have that set up and it does not work for my desired scenario. I set a rule in shipping that shipping is free for orders over $150. That's a general rule I want for all orders. But when a customer inputs a discount code the system looks at the resulting balance to decide the shipping rate, not the total before the discount is applied. Thus, in many cases, the balance will drop below the free shipping threshhold and then free shipping will no longer apply.

You give with one hand but take with the other - not a good customer experience.

In my particular scenario, I have a partner that sells my products for me, issuing my one off promo codes for redemption in my store. Customers thus often spend $200 or more and still have to pay for shipping despite the site promising free shipping for orders over $150. I realise I should just not support this scenario but I can't think of a better way other than closing down this channel.

HussamAmer
Visitor
1 0 1

Hello, 

Any updates about discount and free shipping discount combo feautre?

It has been request since 2018, how many votes it require to get an approval for developing it!

Regards,

Hussam

Thomas_Romer
Explorer
45 0 30

I suspect there are people leaving the platform for this. Some businesses really need this and I can see someone leaving a platform they otherwise love — but just need this basic function.

There must be some huge coding issue with this as I also see no plug-ins that do this. All the coupon code plug-ins I have seen just offer the same attributes that the basic Shopify does, they just allow customization of codes and bulk generation.

BengalKing
Visitor
1 0 0

I was about to bring my biggest store to Shopify from WooCommerce but this ridiculous lack changed my mind. This just can not be a complicated thing to fix but really really crucial for many business..

CPG
Shopify Partner
8 0 2
Please search this thread I have responded on how I have worked around the issue. You set the free shipping up as a ship rate and apply it in addition to your discount
JosanSoriano
Visitor
1 0 1

+ 1 vote for me - ASAP PLEASE

CPG
Shopify Partner
8 0 2
In the thread I posted how I figured out how to do it . Create a free shipping rate and apply it conditionally then set your product discount as you would normally.
Joyvino
Visitor
1 0 0

another vote from me please!

Thomas_Romer
Explorer
45 0 30

CPG
Shopify Partner
8 0 2
Sure it does just apply free shipping to everything as a rate.
circledby
Visitor
2 0 6

@CPG, you need to start reading threads from others on why it doesn't work instead of just pushing your very narrow and targeted solution.

shopamapa
Shopify Partner
18 1 3

+1 My vote too. Its disturbing that such a simple and important option is non existent! 

You may be the biggest but whats the point if we have to run the shop like you want instead of like we want!

Utr
Visitor
1 0 1

A vote from me as well please

Androo
Tourist
4 0 2

This request for discount and free shipping seems such a requirement that people have been asking for months. 

We also require this. 

Why has shopify not actioned this request yet?

Thank you 

Andrew

ShellyRoder
Visitor
1 0 0

I would also vote for option to add free shipping to another discount please. 

jjp2133
Visitor
2 0 0

I would also like to vote for this feature!

Thomas_Romer
Explorer
45 0 30

Is there a way to implore a Shopify associate to respond to one of these threads? Maybe create a new thread titled, “We Insist that Shopify respond to the request of combined discount and free shipping”? Then everyone here add to the conversation to keep it up top and each one insist on an explanation of why this seems impossible to get done.

Thomas_Romer
Explorer
45 0 30

I actually don’t have the same dire need anymore for this, but still do smaller campaigns that need this for maybe 100 backers. But I had to do a workaround for a 15,000 backer campaign that essentially forced me to compromise my shipping methods storewide for almost a year.

imagine-sparrow
Tourist
5 0 2
That's dangerous!

JohannesT
Visitor
1 0 1

There is a solution that might work for some of you. This works if the price of the item, after the discount is applied, is unique in your shop.

Example: The price of your Item is 39.99 minus 15% discount is 33.99. So if there is no other item in your shop which costs 33.99 you could simply add a new shipping rate.

You would call it "Free Shipping" and set the condition of the rate to "Based on Order Price" and set the min and the max to 33.99

Note: It doesn't work if the customer orders multiple items.

I think the best use case for this is, if you want to make the whole order for free and don't want to charge shipping for the already free order. In that case just set the min and max to 0.00

Trenton2020
Visitor
1 0 3

Hi Peter, I have extensively looked through the comments here. It has been two years since the initial post querying the possibility of specifically offering a discount code to customers and allowing them once off free shipping. Has there been a solution because you seem to portray that this is important but not having something two years later shows us we are being treated as if we are not important, do not say things to appease people if something so basic in your long list of requests isn't a priority, then I genuinely believe Shopify has an ulterior motive. All sites on lower levels then Shopify have this feature, so either you are not as well put together as lead to believe/ Shopify has another reason or I suggest you activate the code.

Come on. You make money when we do, allow us to do that please.

EricRabena
Visitor
1 0 1

We need this feature also!

whiterussiansp
Visitor
2 0 19

@Trevor  Please ignore my vote for this feature as well.

kleineprints
Tourist
4 0 6

We definitely need this feature as well!

It's totally weird that Shopify would not act upon this request by so many users for such a long time. 

Seems so easy to install a new class of promo codes that would allow "discount" + "free shipping". Any other eComm system offers this...

shabeer
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi,

i have same question, "Is there a way I can apply a fixed discount (or percentage) together with free shipping?"

i was looking all possibility to create a discount code percentage together with free shipping, but couldn't see any options.

Team Shopify awaiting a solution for this.

Thanks

Shabeer  

CrazyJoe
Excursionist
14 0 32

I am also interested in this feature please, thanks!

JoshDW19
Visitor
1 0 3

Also wanting this... I can't believe this isn't a standard feature in 2020.

nlong
Visitor
1 0 2

We need this feature too!  Free shipping and % discount on same order with single discount code for a specific customer group.  Please add our vote too!

Renaks
Tourist
5 0 1

This is just so ridiculous. 22 pages, 2 years, what sign is Shopify still waiting for?

All discount options are so outdated it's unbelievable. 

Besides the obvious Discount + Free Shipping, they also should add a "fixed amount" to buy X and get Y, not just % on free.

AllINSP
Shopify Partner
5 0 6

Yes, it's beyond ridiculous.  I can't wait until my colleague retires, and I take over the website and switch us to a better platform away from Shopify.  My husband had an issue with a Wordpress update, contacted them and they put a whole team on it to try to solve the issue immediately.  On the other hand, this request been going on for years and is a basic problem most people would think would be a standard option.  Clearly Shopify does not care about its customers.

nettthelabel
Visitor
1 0 1

Add my vote to this! We offer free shipping over $100, and offer promotional % discounts. Need this!

harborandball
Visitor
1 0 3

2 years and 22 pages, and still not an option? WOW.

cbkev
Excursionist
14 2 6

It amazes me this feature still isn't available. Please add my vote.

Thanks

lam3001
Tourist
8 0 5

Add my vote ...

I even tried to set a fixed $ amount discount that would cover shipping to make an order free, but no dice. I don't see a way to do that without having a free shipping rate that everyone could access.

allenkristina
Visitor
1 0 1

+1 vote

Alexander_dev
Visitor
2 0 1

Hello to all.
For 'Shopify plus' stores you can use the free 'script editor' app and this setup guide (Change in shipping cost depending on discount code):
https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/checkout-settings/script-editor/examples/shipping-scripts#discoun...

JessLeon
Visitor
2 0 1

Thanks for this update! 

Just to be clear does that meant that the only way to do this is to spend 2000USD per month and then manually edit script. 

Can someone from the team reach out. 

This price point is a giant barrier to entry for a simple ficntion/ 

I would like to 

Free shipping over $60 spend. 

Plus allow customers to use a discount code. 

This seems simple? 

What am I missing? 

Alexander_dev
Visitor
2 0 1

I slightly changed the code from the guide, for the sake of simplicity. Checked, works.
We are planning to launch the action in the near future.
But yes, alas, this is only for shops of the "Shopify Plus" plan, unfortunately I cannot suggest another variant at the moment.
I'll just leave it here, hopefully someone will come in handy.

CONDITIONS_FOR_DISCOUNT = [
  {
    codes: ['SOMECODE', 'OTHERCODE'],
    d_type: :percent, # :percent/:money
    d_value: 100,
    d_message: 'Free shipping'
  }
]

CONDITIONS_FOR_DISCOUNT.each do |condition|
  next unless Input.cart.discount_code && condition[:codes].include?(Input.cart.discount_code.code.upcase.strip)

Input.shipping_rates.each do |shipping_rate|
    discount_amount = if condition[:d_type] == :percent
      condition[:d_value] * 0.01 * shipping_rate.price
    else
      Money.new(cents: 100) * condition[:d_value]
    end
    shipping_rate.apply_discount(discount_amount, message: condition[:d_message])
  end
end

Output.shipping_rates = Input.shipping_rates

** script type 'Shipping'

Andrej_pryma
Tourist
9 0 3

So is there a way to combine percentage discount and free shipping?

anchortank
Visitor
1 0 1

Please add us to the list as well.  We desperately need this feature and do not believe we should have to pay extra for this feature.  Thanks. 

parisiem
Excursionist
13 0 6

Adding my vote to this too.

LoveABunchArt
Visitor
1 0 0

Add my vote

Sajini2020
Tourist
13 0 3

Hello @Tehreem 

Hope you are doing well!

I have gone through your requirements and found a perfect app for you called iCart Cart Drawer Cart Upsell by Identixweb which will surely fulfill your need. This app has a widget called Progress Bar in which you can give discount along with free shipping for your customers. Please feel free to install this app and take the advantage of its 14 days free trial. Hope this will help.

Thanks, 

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!

- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

jplehmann
Visitor
1 0 2

Upvote.

Page 27... pretty ridiculous.

leogetsky
Visitor
1 0 0

You doing this or not?

emerdepot
Visitor
1 0 5

have been reading this thread  from Page 1 to page 27 and  seems all wanted this feature. Yet after 3  years no change 😞

Just wondering Votes are not going anywhere or may be down the drain. Feature request is supposed to be taken seriously. How ridiculous it an be for a multibilllion dollar company to implement a basic feature to combine a Coupon with free shipping.

Like if all agree and see the tme stamp of all post related to this topic......

Kevdex
Tourist
3 0 1

I can't see a reason why a company wouldn't implement this feature without some kind of ulterior motive based on 3+ years of upvotes. Perhaps to prevent their app ecosystem from suffering? It doesn't even seem like there's an adequate and seamless solution in the app exchange. Blows my mind.