Archetype Motion theme, I need to create some new page templates

subversiv
Visitor
2 0 2

Hello,

Please could somebody help, I'm still messing with a store on Shopify and have 7days of my trial left and am struggling a bit and not sure if this is because I'm still on the free trial? I have started to build my store and give Shopify a proper run to see if it's right for me and my business. I'm using Archetype Motion theme and going well except I need to create some new page templates as only have 4 at present and need some different layouts for some of the pages within my store. I'm struggling to be able to do that and keep having to use the same template for the store content which isn't ideal, hence needing a different template to hold different content. Can this be done if still on free trial and what's the best way to go about creating a new page template which is semi based on one that currently already exists?

I would be very grateful for any help I could get as starting to frustrate me and put me off signing up the Shopify!

Please help!

Sub

Reply 1 (1)

ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

This isn't a limitation of the Shopify trial, it's how templates work. Any content you explicitly add to a template via the Theme Customizer will show up on each page that uses that template. To make the template content dynamic you would have to use metafields.

If you would, say, have a special product page template and wanted to have a block of product-specific text, you would add a metafield definition for that text and fill in the appropriate text for each product. Then you can add that metafield to a text block to the template in the Theme Customizer and each product that uses that template would show its unique text based on the metafield.

It would work the same way for any other type of metafield like, for example, images, and any other type of template like collections or content pages.

★ Smart Upgrades, Tips and Tutorials for Shopify themes: cartpunk.com
Did my solution work? Help other Community members easily find the correct solution and apply it to their own stores by marking it as the Accepted Solution and giving it a Thumbs Up