Attestation for the sale of branded and trademarked products

mel01
Visitor
2 0 0

I have an online consignment shop. I sell used clothing, vintage glassware, and all kinds of secondhand household products. I think my biggest question is what exactly constitutes a branded or trademarked item?

As I received that email where I am supposed to fill out the attestation form. I have been selling since March 2021, and am surprised that I only received this email last week. I help people to organize their homes, and basically resell some of their items in my shop so I am not sure how to answer the question of - do I own the rights to the products available in my Shopify store?

Do I need to somehow prove that my clients have given permission for me to resell these items? If so does that prove that I own the rights to the products or do I actually need to be licensed for the sale of each branded or trademarked product? (even though I only sell one of each item)

Replies 5 (5)

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 258

Hi, @mel01.

Our Trust and Safety team have noted on our end that merchants don’t need to provide reseller’s documents or documentation from a supplier to submit the requested attestation. If you’ve previously submitted reseller’s documents for Shopify Payments, you’ll still need to return the attestation by the date noted in the email from our Trust and Safety team.

Because this query pertains to legal issues, the best way for you to receive any advice or guidance is to speak with an independent legal counsel.

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

mel01
Visitor
2 0 0

Thank you @Kimi 

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 258

You're very welcome @mel01!

frankope
Visitor
3 0 1

If this attestation was filled, will shopify still close down the store?

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 258

Hi, @frankope.

Due to the legal issues pertaining to any questions or comments regarding your store's attestation form, you'll need to reach out to our Trust & Safety team as only they can handle queries of this kind. 

If you've received an email from our Trust & Safety team, then the best way to reach the team member working on your case is by responding to the email from them.