Attestation for the sale of branded and trademarked products

SentimentalSc
1 0 2

Hi Community, 

I've been trying to get through to Shopify but no luck. I have received an email pointing out that I am selling branded products. When I opened, I had already spoken with Shopify about my products and no one said anything. I have been open since January now, selling real fragrance products from reputable suppliers based in the UK. I've been given days to sort this and make my decision to tick the correct boxes or they may proceed to take my website offline. I am so shocked by this as I have been paying for months and wasn't asked this sooner. 

The options are given to me to tick (multiple or those that apply):

Certify that previously not a repeat infringer or been to court relating to this. TICK

Certify that the business on Shopify has not previously been terminated. TICK 

Confirm that I own the rights to have products on my store. CONFIRM

I am an authorised reseller of the branded products. CONFIRM

Confirm that the branded products are authentic. CONFIRM

Removal of all branded or trademarked products from my Shopify store which does not meet the above. (Non-Applicable)

I was just a bit set back by this email and I am a worrier on the best of days even doing nothing wrong. Is this

a normal email Shopify send out to branded product sellers? Am I just worrying over nothing.

What further support do I need to supply?

I don't want to be taken offline after working so hard on getting my suppliers and setting up my website which I've been super proud of. I would like to speak with a Shopify customer service but I can't get through to them.

Please can someone advise if they have also had this.

Many Thanks! 

Replies 72 (72)
Marika_Barreca
Tourist
13 0 1

Do you have an update? What they said? 

4TRES_Dejan
2 0 0
GoodWatch
Tourist
8 0 6

I received the same email and I thought it's phishing but it's not. A better way would be to have a communication in our account since I won't click those kinds of links.

Anyway, I called them and it's legit. I completed the form, nothing special.

What I did notice is that you should read those questions carefully.

dallymouse89
2 0 1

So what happens after you fill out this form and send it in? What stops Shopify from reaching back out and flagging your store again? I sell gently used clothing on consignment, so all of my items comes from families, and is not in violation of trademarked product rules.  Does Shopify now keep you on a list to be watched and keep sending emails?

GoodWatch
Tourist
8 0 6

I see it as legal binding agreement binding and I think they might pass this to the brands so they can pursue you in court if they have grounds.

That's why one should read it carefully before checking those boxes. 

Shay
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1039 162 213

Hi everyone! Thank you for sharing your feedback here in the community forums and for double checking to make sure these communications are legitimate. 

If you are ever unsure if a communication is legitimately from Shopify, the first step is to confirm the email address being used as it should always end in .shopify.com. 

In regards to the reason for receiving communications like the ones mentioned here, I just wanted to share a link to another thread similar to this one where I was able to share a bit more information and context for the reasoning and methods behind this:  Re: Is this a legitimate email from Shopify?

@GoodWatch makes a good point about these being legal agreements and that they should be read thoroughly. It is a merchant's responsibility to fully understand our terms of service and acceptable use policy for Shopify and the terms of service for Shopify Payments. 

If anyone has specific questions about the attestation forms they have received, I'll do my best to help you out with that. Also keep in mind that there are a range of reasons that our Trust and Safety team may be contacting you about your store so the email you received could be different from other merchants. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

JessicaS
1 0 3

Hi,

I just received the same email from Shopify. I sell vintage clothing and some of these items happen to be by brands such as Fendi and Versace. Now the thing that I'm not quite sure of is whether I should confirm or leave open the following statements:

-I own the rights to the products available on my shopify store (I buy the vintage from a certified reseller and I have a shop that is legit, but does that mean that I own the rights to these branded products?)
-I am an authorized reseller of or have the right to resell the branded or trademarked products available on my shopify store (I have a registered vintage shop but does this make me an authorized reseller?)
-The branded or trademarked products available on my shopify store are authentic used products (yes)
-I have removed all branded or trademarked products from my shopify store which do not meet one of the choices above (yes)

I hope someone can help me out. Thank you so much in advance!

PieceCraftLove
Excursionist
26 1 10

I received this same email, Support says it's legitimate because the Ticket ID is legitimate, but the links in the email are to some sendgrid URL instead of a direct link (I get it, they want to track clicks) BUT the really odd thing is that the email doesn't come from a .shopify.com address, it's just risk-management@shopify.com 

I agree with the previous post that this seems VERY suspicious!

Support suggested that if I didn't want to click the links, I could just reply to the message and someone else from Support will respond. That seems a little safer to me?

GoodWatch
Tourist
8 0 6

Hi @JessicaS 

- Rights in this context mean if you are the brand owner or if the licence is yours.

- You are an authorized reseller if the brand or distributor gives you those rights.
-The branded or trademarked products available on my shopify store are authentic used products (yes) 

Please note that they said "used". In your case, I think it's true since they are vintage. I would just make sure to make this clear on the listing page.

If you are not sure about anything on this topic, it's better to consult a lawyer, just to be safe.

GoodWatch
Tourist
8 0 6

@PieceCraftLove Sendgrid is just an ESP (email service provider). But once you click on that link, you will land on the Shopify domain and you will see a form.

You can verify the email by looking at their headers. The fact that you see written @shopify.com means nothing as it can be spoofed. But the info in the headers will clarify if it's legit.

PieceCraftLove
Excursionist
26 1 10

I'm just curious, did you receive this email within a short time of turning on the Google Shopping app on your Shopify store? 

I'm familiar with SendGrid as an ESP, but I still agree that the email was suspicious and would rather receive important communication as a message within my Shopify Admin.

GoodWatch
Tourist
8 0 6

@PieceCraftLove true that 🙂 

We enabled Google products not long ago and we are doing dynamic retargeting ads. 

I don't think we are all flagged for the same reason. In my case, I suspect that they flagged me because I am placing test orders and I am cancelling them. Seeing that many cancelled orders maybe was a red flag. 

PieceCraftLove
Excursionist
26 1 10
Thanks for your response! And thank goodness Shopify support was available
today to help me resolve this as well.
Wardysvintage
2 0 1

in the exact same situation selling branded vintage got the email tonight !!

Wardysvintage
2 0 1

any help would be appreciated , the ' i own the rights to the products avalible on my shopify store' question is confusing me, i obviously own the products but not sure if i own the right 

dallymouse89
2 0 1

So I just off an hour long phone call with a Shopify Advisor who communicated to the Risk team.  What got me flagged was having the Brand Name in my title for a tank top, a Nike Racerback Tank top.  This will also apply to any new products I upload in the future, and applies to any products that I bought on wholesale from Faire or Dropship in.  I can't have the Brand's name anywhere in the title. Even though I'm a legit business with a brick and mortar store, with full rights to resell in my state.

According to her I still need to email the risk team as I have more questions. Like the following:

1) If I change the Title for all of my products, can I still include the Brand's name in the product tags and in the description, or will that get me flagged

2) Do I need to edit the URL too as it will have the original title in it, even after I change the title

3)The advisor says they need proof or documentation that proves that I'm a legit reseller, but didn't have access to the form they accept.  The 1 form my state has, Oregon is not a full certificate as we don't have sales tax, and the form even says not everyone will accept it. When asked if the advisor could send me the form they are looking for/accept she didn't have access and I have to ask the Risk team.  So onward to the next step in this side quest for today.

GoodWatch
Tourist
8 0 6

The problem is at the end: "they need proof or documentation that proves that I'm a legit reseller."

Ask your distributor or the brand to give you an authorization letter as proof that you are an authorized reseller. Or you can simply point them to their site if you are listed as an authorized reseller/retailer.

Honestly, I agree with all this. Why? Because counterfeit and grey market is thru the roof and this is one way to stop it. A small headache but it's worth it.

dcarte03
Tourist
3 0 3

I am in IT and the domain in an email doesn't always mean it is legit.  I always look at that but still will not click any links provided.  I agree with the person that said this communication should be in our account instead. 

dcarte03
Tourist
3 0 3

Resellers/consultants have IDs that can be confirmed.