Auto discounts and normal discount

OskarL
3 0 0

Hi, I have a question

I have created an auto discount that adds when a product is added to the cart, but when the email remarketing for abandoned carts goes later and someone clicks the link back to checkout - that code is still there and they can't enter a new one - with a bigger discount.

I want him to be able to have this auto discount, because when he adds a product to the card, it gets X OFF immediately, but I also want to be able to enter an additional/new code from the email

Someone can help me?

Replies 4 (4)
OskarL
3 0 0
Kimi
Shopify Staff
200 25 53

Hi, @OskarL!

Are you creating your discount codes, for both the automatic and abandoned checkout, directly from your Shopify admin? If you are, the Shopify discount feature doesn't allow customers to stack multiple discount codes. So if a customer goes to checkout with one discount code, they can't also use another on top of it, as only one discount at a time applies to a single order on checkout. More information on this and our discount feature can be found here on our FAQ.

If you'd like to stack multiple discounts into one particular order, you'll need to install a third-party app onto your store. There are several discount apps available on the Shopify App store that can help add this functionality to your store. I did a bit of digging on my end and found the following apps, feel free to take a closer look at them:

Just a note however that these apps are made by third-party developers outside of Shopify. So if you have any questions about them specifically I would recommend getting in touch with the app developers, as they'd be best equipped to answer any of your questions.

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

OskarL
3 0 0

Thank you for your reply @Kimi , unfortunately this still does not solve my problem. I will describe exactly what I would like to obtain.

I would like a customer who adds a product to the cart to receive a discount right away, for adding the product to the cart. Let's say product X costs $50, when you add it to the cart you get an automatic $20 discount, so you see in the cart/checkout that this product costs you $30 already with the discount.

Whereas later on, if we have a Klaviyo sequence for abandoned carts and such a potential customer, clicks the link in the email to go back to the cart and complete the purchase, they see that first discount. Here I would like him to be able to remove it or change it to another one, or automatically from the email it gives him another, bigger discount.

Unfortunately, when I set up Shopify's automatic discount, then clicking on the link/button in the email with the abandoned cart, as it takes the customer to the checkout page, unfortunately it is that first discount (the one that was added for adding the product to the cart) and cannot be changed/removed.

Kimi
Shopify Staff
200 25 53

@OskarL

At this stage, an automatic discount that has been created natively within the Shopify admin cannot be overwritten. Customers can only change or remove the discount on their cart if the type of discount present on cart is a discount code, not an automatic discount.

You can look into the third-party apps I linked in my first reply however, or an app like SELLY, to see if they'll allow your customers to overwrite automatic discounts on checkout. In order to get the discounts from the app to work fully however, you will need to disable all of your discounts that has been created from the Shopify admin, and to solely use the third-party app to generate your store's discounts. Most of these apps would have a free trial that you can sign up for too, to test out the app's features and for you to see if the app will work for your store's needs.

I definitely do see how being able to overwrite Shopify's automatic discounts is a useful option to have within our admin, so I will send this as a feature request to our developers. As we are constantly looking to improve our platform, perhaps this is something we can incorporate in the future. Please note that although I will be submitting this request, we are unable to track it as this is an internal process that our developer team oversees. However we have a Shopify Changelog here that you can check for new features that has been added to Shopify.

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog