Does Shopify support bin location integration with ShipStation?

hp2020
Excursionist
29 0 70

Bin Locations -- is this really not something that Shopify supports? 

We need a bin location field on each product that integrates with ShipStation, where we print our packing slips and ship from. 

It isn't optional, it is a requirement. I am struggling to understand how on a platform as large as Shopify that this isn't a standard feature to have a bin location field (it's just as important as a SKU).  

Any assistance here? 

Replies 31 (31)

AbitGear
Tourist
11 0 7

Same question. I do my own fulfillment (for now), and need to assign bin numbers. Seems like this is something everyone needs. 

The answer is probably spend $30/month on some apps to do this very, very simple thing.

Kayleigh
Tourist
4 0 1

We also need this and i've been searching and searching for answers and all i can find is 'find someone to build it for you'

TracyLynn
Visitor
2 0 4

We've been here since 2016 and have been using SKUs to include a BIN number. If anyone has an app recommendation or workaround it would be appreciated. We thought about using a third option field in addition to Size and Color and hiding it on the product page. Ultimately we need a dedicated BIN field at the variant level. This should be a part of Shopify without needing a third party app and it's insane that it's still not available.

Kayleigh
Tourist
4 0 1

The problem with that is moving stock, we are very trend driven and some items go out of fashion so we move them to a lower area or a smaller section so we'd be changing skus all the time. I moved from bigcommerce last year and its the only thing i can't solve.

Not applicable

Hello Merchants,

The only real solution is the one you build for yourself.

Our team here at Achieve Applabs can help you build a custom app to coordinate and manage inventory with bin locations.

Please express your interest by emailing us at hello@achieveapplabs.com. Once we determine your true requirements we'll send you a quote and start the process. 

Best Regards,

Achieve Team

Cross-Apps
Shopify Partner
22 0 0

Our app Power Tools (works on iOS and Android) helps merchants to assign bin locations to variants and to update inventory on mobile. 

To find a product we offer full text search, including SKU, Options fields, Product Title, Barcode and more. 

You can try it out for 14 days.

https://apps.shopify.com/inventory-app-4?surface_detail=bin+locations&surface_inter_position=1&surfa...

If you have any question please dm.

Brodydezember
Tourist
7 0 7

If you are using ShipStation, you can setup bin location in that which is what I do. I would rather just ship out of Shopify and have to pay more money to use shipstation since we only sell on Shopify site.

hsmits
Visitor
1 0 3

Can somebody from the shopify team confirm if they will add the function for Bin locations?

Brodydezember
Tourist
7 0 7

Its not going to happen. I was able to figure it out though. I used the barcode section of the product to place a bin location. Then installed Printer Pro and updated the code to show the barcode text below the product which shows the bin location of the item.

To be 100% honest though, I used it for about 2 days and was completely frustrated by how difficult/cumbersome shopify's shipping is and went back to shipstation. The 5 clicks to get a shipping label to print is just dumb and the cost saving is not worth the time. Shipstation has bin locations and for $29 a month it is worth it.

mollywilson
Tourist
3 0 3

Do you auto print from Ship station instead of Shopify?  I use a horrendous app now called Print Out designer.  I’d be curious how you auto print from ShipStation.  (We manually enter emailed orders into the back end of Shopify and sometimes fulfill in our curbside pick up and do t want those orders printing out)

Not applicable

Our Bin Locations app can be tuned to add an order metafield so you can later use it in your default packing slip template:

{% assign bins = order.metafields.bins %}
{{bins[line_item.sku]}}

You can also bulk print pick-sheets and the PDF can be customized however you like. 

Best,

Sam - Owner @Achieve Applabs 

Not applicable

Update here. We have a custom Bin Location app that has the following features:

> Bulk import bin locations

> Order metafields to integrate with other packing slips 

> Print bulk custom packing slips 

> Empty a bin location

> Add product into bin location

Contact me if interested.

Screenshots and example packing slip here

bins.PNGbins_create.PNGsettings.PNG

EdibleLandGS
6 0 0
We are a greenhouse complex that ships all over the country and also a facility where people can come shop in person. Think of us like a large warehouse with at least 12 areas (shelves?) and specific locations with in those areas (bins?), for holding plants. Our current method of finding a plant (shippers and POS employees) is, for example, if I need to find a Legacy blueberry in a Qt. pot, a master list report will tell me it is in Greenhouse #1 on the 3rd table on the left, written as 1T3L. Plants sometimes have multiple locations for the same size plant, i.e.: if I have 200 Legacy blueberries in Qt. pots there may be 100 at 1T3L and 100 at 1T6R. 

Our needs are:
A: To be able to have a simple live master list for POS folks to refer to when finding plants for customers that will pull from Shopify for availability of that plant. (Bottom example)
B: To have a pick list for weekly shipping with locations that will pull from Shopify for orders to be shipped that week. Since we are not just pulling t-shirts off a shelf (shipping plants safely is an endeavor), we have a weekly shipping pick list printed and it usually takes the crew anywhere from 2 to 5 days to complete that list. Specifically, just printing a stack of orders, and gathering each order individually will create a lot of running back and forth. So a master pick list that will tell gatherers, "10 Legacy blueberries in Qt. pots are needed for shipping this week at 1T3L and 1T6R". Once all plants are gathered from their various locations, then we can assemble individual orders from the plants gathered from the master list. (Top example)
We were told we could use Metafields for locations, but can't seem to find a way to access those in a way that we can get the above 2 reports. Some of the other apps way overcomplicate what we need.
With all that said, just need simple and inexpensive. Can your program help me? 
Below are examples of what we use now.
Thanks, GeorgeShipping pick list.jpgMaster Inventory List.jpg
kingstore
Shopify Partner
175 5 31

Hey @EdibleLandGS check SKUSavvy, you'll have each of these issues solved with a visual warehouse layout, and the ability to bulk pick with visual guidance through the warehouse.

The best Shopify Inventory Management App: Purchases, Bin Locations, Visual Inventory, Warehouse Management, Pick Pack Ship, Cycle Counts, and more.
Get your first SKUSavvy Mobile Inventory and Order Fulfillment account free for 50 orders
Schedule a call
THP3
Tourist
4 0 2

So how abut some more info on this Bin Location app?  Your link doesn't work.

Brodydezember
Tourist
7 0 7

I totally agree. Using the barcode area of a product will do the same thing for you though. Then adjusting the packing slip code to show the barcode of a product will work. How many orders per day are you getting? The problem with Shopify is their shipping setup. It is not made for anyone that is shipping more than a few packages a day. If you have under 50 orders per month, Shipstation is only $10 a month and has all of the functionality that you would want and shipping is 10x faster to process.

Brodydezember
Tourist
7 0 7

Thank you for copying and pasting exactly what you said before. I explained how you can do it in Shopify above. If you would like more help let me know.

crowshead
Excursionist
46 1 11

using the barcode will mess up your google smart shopping connection, unless you turn that part off....just check on that and you should be fine

Devon8899
Tourist
11 0 1

So there is an app which is called "Stocky" created by Shopify.

You can use .csv file and there is the bin location filed.

Not applicable

Nice that Shopify rolled out an app to expand on inventory management. From reading what merchants write to me a “bin location” app it’s really for the folks on the warehouse floor, when picking orders and possibly when receiving new inventory.

Our bin location app works like this:

1) setup your bin location names one by one or by bulk import using .csv file

2) Download your custom packing slips right from an order details screen

Note: Our app will work with Shopify default packing slips. You’ll just need to connect our Orders webhook and add a code snippet into the default template.

I’m more than happy to answer questions or even customize the app to suite your needs.

Jennifer_Farnel
Shopify Partner
20 0 21

Where did you find the bin location field? I installed Stocky, and there doesn't seem to be any additional fields other than what Shopify gives you - it's more of a reporting tool. I downloaded the csv and couldn't find it there - I also searched their help documentation and couldn't find any reference to locations other than the shopify locations, which are more physical store location names, not warehouse/bin locations.

Anto_S
Shopify Partner
148 4 19

We have a solution for bin locations on Sheet Master https://apps.shopify.com/sheet-master (currently free). One can set up custom bin locations, and generate pick lists in custom formats - happy to help with a free custom setup in case anyone needs it.  Video demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O12azLZcmjo

Anto_S_0-1635869738613.png

Automating Commerce at Comstack.co
Email: anto@comstack.co

HalfBloods
Visitor
1 0 0

Yes ! I need this option as well. for now i am adding to the barcode section and I will most likely pull and updated CSV file once a week to export and use that to "Locate" my items during fulfillment 

Kayleigh
Tourist
4 0 1

Yeah, so we added locations to the barcode and then added a barcode column to our packaging slips as a workaround. It prints then with the SKU, NAME, BARCODE (which is location)

Cross-Apps
Shopify Partner
22 0 0

We have updated our app Power Tools with several new features, maybe it helps with your workflow:

• iOS & Android App to manage inventory, pick list and bin locations
  • Improved Shopify App to assign bin locations
  • Auto generated Pick Lists for new orders
  • Unlimited Users
  • Free Trial for 14 days

Shopify App Assign Bin LocationsShopify App Assign Bin LocationsPick Lists for new ordersPick Lists for new ordersUser Smartphone AppUser Smartphone App

LuisaP
Excursionist
22 2 11

I'm using the SKU fiels to add the bin location like this AAA-999-99 I 00A00

00A00 is the bin location

+ Easy to print on an invoice or packing slip (nothing to do)

- Create issues when we change the location code... It is changing the SKU so we loose sync with other stores

- Can't sort products by location

I'm still searching for an app

Not applicable

Hi @LuisaP 

We have a better solution…

You can’t create new fields against Shopify products. Use metafields or an app with its own DB to store those relationships.

For Packing slips we’ve got it figured out. Would be interested in getting our app working for invoices. Locations is a solvable problem as well.

Best,
Sam- Owner / Lead Developer

TheThisThat
Shopify Partner
61 3 16

I added the bin number as a product property inside of the product form. You set it up in a product metafield and the property grabs it and passes it to checkout. You can pull these in on Shopify packing slips through the line_item.properties AND bonus --Shipstation automatically pulls them in. 

Here is the code I wrote to add it to my product section in Dawn. 

<input type="hidden" id="bin-number" value={{ product.metafields.my_fields.bin_number }}" name="properties[Bin Number]">

Hope that saves you from buying an app!

a little of this and a little of that
Jared_Clevenger
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi Hi - We've setup the bin locations "product.metafields.my_fields.bin_location", do we just add this to the product template? Where do we add this code specifically for it to be a field available in ShipStation?

Thanks in advance!

TheThisThat
Shopify Partner
61 3 16

Because line items can read properties I setup the bin as a metafield (you can do it at either product or variant level) and pick it up as a property. 

In the packing slip I read that property:

{% for field in line_item.properties %}
Bin Location:
{{ field | last }}
{% endfor %}

a little of this and a little of that

kingstore
Shopify Partner
175 5 31

Hey @hp2020 while your question is older and perhaps you have found an answer already, there seems to be many others looking for a solution here still. Many of the solutions presented here are half-measures that will likely cause more headache than solving the problem. Furthermore, this solution offers a 100% free plan for merchants with less than 50 orders per month.

I'd like to present a new all encompassing WMS solution to this problem of bin locations as well as many other key areas you would likely need to string together multiple apps but is now included in one - SKUSavvy.

Bin locations on SKUSavvy can use an exact model of your warehouse using a visual warehouse builder (seen below). The visual warehouse layout is built to solve many problems of modern day warehouse management systems by providing a much quicker, easier to use method of finding and allocating inventory effectively. Visual bin locations make it super clear where the next product to pick is. Visual bins are easier to locate and provide no room for ambiguity about where a product is located. 

Paper vs Visual Pick ListsPaper vs Visual Pick Lists

I hope anyone looking to add bin locations to their Shopify inventory will consider SKUSavvy visual warehouse management system, in it you can find all the below features and more coming all the time:

• Connect in a dual sync with Shopify to pull locations, products, inventory, orders, and customers
  • Place purchase orders and issue PO approval
  • Check-in inventory against the PO using visual bins for allocation and barcode scanning for accuracy
  • Built-in barcode scanning
  • Product dimensional information, barcoding, units of measure, variants etc.
  • Inventory management and automated replenishment 
  • Visual warehouse layout with bin locations and barcoded labels
  • Full mobile warehouse management 
  • Order management system with intelligent order batching for faster picking
  • Visual picking with automated path finding for shorter travel distance to gather more products to fulfill more orders with one pick path
  • 35+ carrier connections
  • Built-in fulfillment module with live rates, 3D palletization, and shipping label printing
  • Real-time inventory
  • Automated order updates and tracking information 
  • Cross-docking workflows
  • Kitting (bundles)
  • Employee management

For many merchants, adding another app is not ideal, that's why SKUSavvy is priced to scale directly with your order volume and most often replaces 2-3 apps with one. 

Use SKUSavvy free for 50 orders/month then just $0.19-$0.04/order - calculate your cost

Signup now and get going in minutes

visual-inventory-management-system.png

The best Shopify Inventory Management App: Purchases, Bin Locations, Visual Inventory, Warehouse Management, Pick Pack Ship, Cycle Counts, and more.
Get your first SKUSavvy Mobile Inventory and Order Fulfillment account free for 50 orders
Schedule a call