Blocking an anonymous proxy

truthbetold
1 0 0

The main reason for installing the Blockade app, which is to block anonymous proxy users who seem to be attempting to hack the shop, is only included in the paid plan. This should have at least been included in the free plan. It seems like the team who developed this is not focused in doing a good deed for mankind but rather focused in profits. And at a $4.99 price tag per month, which IMHO is too steep, is not worth it. Until a company that is more focused in providing a good deed for mankind comes up with a more considerate solution, I think the best solution for now is to make sure that the password you use for your store is super-secure and to always remember to change it every time an anonymous user attempts to access your /account/login page.

0 Likes
dylanpierce
Shopify Partner
145 3 52

Hi @truthbetold 

Thanks for the feedback on the app. Blockade is the leading app for detecting and preventing VPNs & anonymous proxies from visiting your store, and we work hard to bring the most up to date database of Tor out proxies, datacenters & known VPN networks. Unfortunately we can't offer that for free, but our free tier does include up to 3 countries on your block list.

But to clear up a misconception about how Blockade works, it does not block sign in attempts into your Shopify backend. Blockade and other blocking apps on the marketplace only operate on your store front web pages. If any app is claiming to prevent brute force login attacks or blocking access to your login, they're misguiding you. That's not possible with the current Shopify app limitations.

To add to the already great advice you gave on strong & unique passwords - using a password manager makes this breeze. A few of my favorites:

* 1Password
* LastPass

Each of these includes a mobile app, web browser extension or desktop app to help track all of your unique passwords across sites. They allow you to share your passwords with your teammates over a secure channel instead of through SMS or email which can be sniffed.

Best of luck!

Dylan

Founder of Verdict - Anti-Fraud Apps for Shopify
  • Blockade - Easily block countries, IP addresses, VPNs
  • Real ID - Verify your customer's real IDs easily & securely
Yaqoopking
1 0 0

Changes your password.

0 Likes
Dkwanzaa
1 0 0

what are the steps to block anonymous proxys??

0 Likes
kkry
1 0 1

Hey Dylan! 

I just downloaded the blockade app, I noticed I was having a lot of anonymous proxy.  When I downloaded the app it said im able to block specific countries. 

How would I know which country the anonymous proxy is coming from so I can block them? Now that I downloaded the app will this solve my issue with having the anonymous proxy being blocked from coming on my site or is there more to it? Hope this all makes sense.

Thank you! 

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
3131 195 576

@kkry wrote:

How would I know which country the anonymous proxy is coming from so I can block them? Now that I downloaded the app will this solve my issue with having the anonymous proxy being blocked from coming on my site or is there more to it? Hope this all makes sense.

Thank you! 

Whatever process your using already to ID anonymous proxies should be giving you IP addresses as well, use those in ranges to figure out the countries in question using a geoIP service.

Unless @dylanpierce has a different flow for the app.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes