Solved

Bug with reordering option names and SKU values

jam851
Tourist
3 1 4

I am experiencing what I think to be is a new bug.  I have a product setup with an option of Color, and each variant is given a unique SKU that matches to my fulfillment process.

When I go into the Shopify UI to edit the product, if I use the drag-and-drop UI to reorder my Color options (move "Blue" to the front of the list), the SKU values for all of the variants is replaced with a new auto-generated SKU value of counting numbers.

Below is a simple example to reproduce the issue.  The original variant SKUs are "MED" and "LARG".   Then after dragging the option name to a different order (even before clicking save), the SKU textboxes have all been replaced with generated values of "MED-1" and "MED-2". 

For a real product with both Colors and Sizes, there is numerous variants which I have configured with proper SKUs.  I want to use the UI to reorder options, but for it to replace the SKU configuration for all of my variants is incredibly problematic.   

I have done this re-ordering before without issue - this seems to be a new bug?  Any thoughts?

OriginalSKUs.png

Below, see that the SKU values are replaced, after dragging:

SKUsAfterReorder.png

Accepted Solution (1)
jam851
Tourist
3 1 4

This is an accepted solution.

I just heard back from Shopify support, and they have fixed the bug.  However, any SKU values that were corrupted in the meantime will not be fixed back to what it was.  You'll have to fix it yourself, but then re-arranging works.  I have confirmed the fix in my test scenario.

View solution in original post

Replies 9 (9)

PhillWalker
Visitor
1 0 0

We are also experiencing this.

lovellaphigo
Visitor
1 0 1

We are also experiencing the same issue. 

Austin611
Visitor
1 0 0

Looking for the same issue. Bumped into your thread. Thanks for creating it. Looking forward for solution.

SurfStationStor
Visitor
1 0 1

We just ran into this today. Our SKUs end in -XS, -S, -M, -L and -XL depending on the size, so they are all unique. However, whenever you reorder a variant such as size, they all end up -XS-1, -XS-2, and so on....

ptalbert
Visitor
2 0 0

I just had a product renumber with a large number of variants renumber.. 

jam851
Tourist
3 1 4

This is an accepted solution.

I just heard back from Shopify support, and they have fixed the bug.  However, any SKU values that were corrupted in the meantime will not be fixed back to what it was.  You'll have to fix it yourself, but then re-arranging works.  I have confirmed the fix in my test scenario.

Mia10
Tourist
5 0 4

I was just on a chat to support because we're having the same problem that any change to the order of the variants results in all the SKUs being overridden to an auto generated SKU, and I was told that it's supposed to do that, and all they can do is send feedback for whoever to consider. Did they only fix the bug for your store? Or did you have to do anything yourself to implement the changes?

jam851
Tourist
3 1 4

@Mia10 I confirmed the fix on multiple stores.  It didn't put my SKUs back to where they were, but dragging the order of options around is no longer changing the value of SKUs.

If you are still seeing it, when you talk to support maybe you can reference my ticket number 27367465 so they can see what was done there and why it wouldn't be resolved for you.  

ptalbert
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks, what a headache, not sure why they thought changing the sku would be a good idea.