Bulk Update Variant Availability

Gary_Looft
Tourist
14 0 1

Hello. I have multiple variants for each product. My products are available in multiple sizes. I want to disable the larger sizes for all of my products until I get a shipment of wood in.  I do not want to delete all of these variants because I will need to turn them back on in a week. How can I do this in Shopify? I only see a way to do it manually hundreds of times which is not appealing.

My store: mountaincut.com

Replies 4 (4)

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 258

Hi, @Gary_Looft!

At this stage there isn't yet a native way on the Shopify admin that can hide individual variants. The workaround for this is to set the variant's quantity to zero, so that customers aren't able to purchase them for the time being. When you'd like to make them available for purchase again, you can simply change the quantity to correspond with the variant's correct stock number.

You can implement all of these changes in bulk via the Bulk editor by going to Products > Inventory > Tick the checkboxes for the desired variants > Click Edit variants. This will take you to the Bulk editor, where you can click on the Add fields dropdown to select the Location which the variants are located in. Once selected, you can then update the quantity to zero in bulk, as seen on the image below.

Just a note that you'll have to also make sure that the "Continue selling when out of stock" checkbox is unticked for all of the variants, to prevent customers from purchasing these variants for the time being.

Alternatively, you can also use a CSV file by exporting your product and variant list, updating the variant quantities, and re-importing the updated CSV file onto your Shopify admin.

If this is a process that you will do quite often in the future however, you can also look into installing a third-party app that can help hide variants automatically for you. An app such as AutoHide may suit your needs, feel free to take a closer look at it. Just a note however that apps like this one are made by third-party developers outside of Shopify. So if you have any questions about them I would recommend getting in touch with the app developers, as they are best equipped to answer app-specific queries.

Once your shipment of wood arrives, it's also a good idea to start thinking about how you'll spread the word of the re-availability of these variants. A popular method is through sending out an email marketing campaign, and this method remains one of the most effective ways stores can drive sales. A great email marketing campaign is clear, personalized, and relevant. Check out our email marketing best practices blog here if you need some tips and tricks.

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Gary_Looft
Tourist
14 0 1

Thanks Kimi,

That helps but it looks like my shop will keep selling even if inventory is zero. How can I change that?

Inkedvivaldi_3AXspSSoGY_LI.jpg

TeamSpocket
Trailblazer
183 10 27

Hi @Gary_Looft ,

You can utilize Shopify's bulk editor to change "keep selling when out of stock". Just go to Admin > Products > select the product by putting a check mark on it > then hit "edit products" > make sure that you add fields for "continue selling when out of stock":

Screenshot_1648.png

By the way, are you looking for high-quality products for your dropshipping store? You Should try Spocket. It's a dropshipping app that allows you to sell high-quality products from our suppliers located around the world. We have suppliers based in major countries like the US, UK, Canada, and Australia.

You can sign up for a free Spocket account and browse our catalogs of products. We also provide a 14-day free trial on our paid subscription to help you get started with selling. You can also check our success stories on some of our retailers.

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 258

Thanks for your input, @TeamSpocket! You're absolutely spot-on with your instructions, appreciate you in sharing that with us.

@Gary_Looft, feel free to also have a read of our Help Centre document here for more information on the Continue selling when out of stock feature.

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog