Can I change my business registration number on Shopify later?

Samson94
Visitor
3 0 0

Hello, I want to ask about business registration, because business registration is required before I can collect money, so I want to ask if I am borrowing my friend’s business registration number now, and then I will apply for my own business registration number. I want to ask if shopify can change it later? Do I need to register my business if I use PayPal to receive payments? If there is no business registration number, will it be reviewed before payment can be collected?

Reply 1 (1)

Victoria
Shopify Staff
2145 150 252

Hi, @Samson94.

Thanks for posting to the Shopify Community!

I understand you're inquiring if you can input your friend's business registration number as you're applying for your own and are wondering if Shopify will update this information later. When setting up a Shopify Payments account, you need to provide accurate and truthful information about your own business. If you don't have a registered business with a number, then it might be more appropriate for you to choose individual/sole proprietor as your business type when onboarding with Shopify Payments. If certain information requires updating, you'll need to reach out to our support team via the Shopify Help Center, so we can take a closer look.

In regard to your second question, you will typically need to provide certain business registration information for a PayPal Business Account. PayPal requires this information to verify your business and ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The specific requirements may vary depending on your country and the type of business you have. I recommend contacting PayPal Support as they will be able to provide more detailed information on the registration requirements for a PayPal Business account in your specific jurisdiction. 

I hope this helps!

Victoria | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog