Can I run my shop with a Chromebook? I'm looking at buying an inexpensive Acer chromebook.

Newearthmagic
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm looking at buying an inexpensive Acer chromebook.  But have no experience with them.  I'm presently using an old Macbook pro and it can't upgrade to what is needed to run a Shopify shop.

Anyone here run their shop from an Acer chromebook?

Replies 5 (5)

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 368

Hi, @Newearthmagic!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

To create and manage a Shopify store, all you need is a device that uses one of our supported browsers. We always recommend Google Chrome, as it tends to work best with our platform and can be installed on most common devices, including MacBooks. Theoretically, you should be able to use Shopify with your MacBook Pro, but you may notice performance issues if your device tends to run slowly. 

You can also use the Shopify mobile app, which can be installed from both the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. From the Shopify app, you can see how your store is performing, manage your orders, and update your catalog.  Notifications also let you know when a new order comes in and you can even capture payments and fulfill orders from the app. If you're using Oberlo to fulfill orders, however, just keep in mind that the Oberlo app is only compatible with Apple devices. To fulfill orders using Oberlo, it's strongly recommended that you use the browser version of Shopify.

Because Chromebooks have access to the Google Play Store, you could install the Shopify mobile app on this device, or you could use it through the Chrome web browser. The choice is entirely up to you!

That being said, I recommend using Shopify on a web browser. This will give you full access to third-party apps that may otherwise not be compatible within the Shopify mobile app. The mobile app is great for managing your store on the go, and it's definitely worth having installed, but the browser version will give you a better overall experience when it comes to setting up your store and fulfilling orders through Oberlo. However, this really comes down to personal preference. 

What seems to be the issue when you try accessing it on your current MacBook Pro? Which browsers have you tried using? 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

CuratedMass
Tourist
3 0 0

If you buy a chromebook you’ll need to also buy a Bluetooth label printer because your typical dymo/usb shipping label printers DO  NOT work with a chromebook. 

catiane
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, 

I'm new, and I use a Chromebook, the difficulty is adding pictures, all is in Google Photos, and it is impossible to add pictures from Google Photos into your Shopify store. 

I'm really thinking very hard how to do this, I made a map with all my pictures needed for my shop, and it has over 2000 pictures, however, I do NOT find an efficient way to add these pictures without loosing so much time.

It's really frustrating!

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @catiane

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. 

Does this issue occur when you're trying to add images to your products? If so, you should be able to drag and drop these images directly from the 'Images' section in the 'Files' on your computer. 

You can also upload images to the 'Files' section of your Shopify admin by following the steps listed here

I hope this helps! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

roundabout
Shopify Partner
18 0 3

Hi Julie,

Do you know which receipt printers are connectible with chrome book? Via USB? 

Regards