Can you change a product template in the csv file you import?

CompassJW
Excursionist
18 0 6

I have created a product template “Customizable” where the customer could add special requests for their items on the product page.

Now I want to make many products have this template. If I export products from shopify into a csv file, is there a way to change the template that the product uses? So I can bulk update the product template, then import the csv? or do I have to change the product templates one by one?

Thanks!

Replies 11 (11)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@CompassJW 

It is not currently possible to assign product templates within the CSV file. It would require updating the products manually if you are using any template other than the default template. However; we do have an existing feature request to get this added to our system. I've added your feedback to the request so our product teams can review it further. 

If you have any other feedback about the feature and how it impacts your business let me know. I'd be happy to add to the feedback I've already submitted. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

CompassJW
Excursionist
18 0 6

Hello @Trevor !

Thanks for your reply, I am glad to hear that you were able to put in a request for this feature. Currently we are trying to get the products entered into shopify by csv. The more we play around with the capabilities, the more I am able to customize for example item-lines forms in a product (the template we are talking about). There are many products which didn’t have the new template and I will go back to manually change the topic but there are over 200 products that I will have to change manually , so if this request can be put in, it would be really convenient to have a csv indicating which template we want to use. Also it means that going forward I could just select which template when inputting new products so I wouldn’t have to retro change new products. It’s exciting that this is a project you can work on. Please keep me updated if there are any changes 🙂

Thanks -CompassJW

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@CompassJW 

Thank you for that additional feedback! I've gone ahead and added that to the existing feedback I added for you. That'll help our teams better understand why it would be important to implement this feature. We'll update our Changelog should we launch this feature in the future. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

ruhadekor
Visitor
1 0 2

Hello Trevor!

Do you have any news about this feature?

Best regards,
Miklos

David_BM
Visitor
2 0 2

Hello Trevor I would also benefit greatly from this feature being implemented. I know 3rd party apps are filling the void for this currently. It allows groups of items to have their template updated quickly and efficiently in bulk. Also it avoids re-work of uploading an item into the wrong product template and then needing to go and change this.

My company is adding 6,000 items with a different data source and page display than our original product line. So I will need to change them over 50 at a time, at best this is updating 120 pages one by one. At worst it is 6,000 items one by one.

MukMan
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi David,  Have you solved this? Can you please point me to the 3rd party apps you are referring to? Thanks.

NikiFox
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi Trevor! I would also love to see this feature. Any update on it?

ZZB
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi Trevor,

Any update on this feature?

I think its critical to the workflow of any medium store, in particular stores that sell single or unique products.

Here is why:

- sold products should not be archived. If they are, this will negatively impact seo (404s)

- instead, sold products should be assigned to a new template that clearly says the item is sold, and suggests other products. They should also be tagged as such and automatically removed from collections (this can be done in bulk)

The missing part of the workflow is being able to assign a sold template to a sold product in bulk. Any store which deals in unique items at scale won't have a way to do this and therefore will need to spend some time each day or week manually updating each product to assign it a new template. This is very time consuming 

Thank you

hunthunthunt
Visitor
1 0 2

I also have the requirement to upload 1000s of products (via .csv) using different templates. I look forward to seeing this feature land.

BigDan
Visitor
1 0 5

It has been two years since this request and the reply that this is a feature request in the queue... Shopify Team, what is the status of this? How come this important feature hasn't been implemented yet?

CoralStop
Visitor
1 0 0

Yes this is kind of ridiculous it seems like a very beneficial feature update…