Solved

Canadian comp selling face to face in the USA, POS how to?

JackSprat
Tourist
4 0 3

We are a Canadian registered company with Cdn banking presently.

What are the steps to selling face 2 face in the US with tap and chip POS? 

So far the email exchanges with the help desk have left me more confused than ever.

Any insights?

Accepted Solution (1)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2928 455 601

This is an accepted solution.

Hey folks! Part of this process will depend on the payment gateway you are using. Shopify POS software will work anywhere, it is the hardware and payment gateway that creates the restrictions. You can still create orders using Shopify POS (connecting to your inventory, etc) and accept payment through an alternate means. 

If you are using Shopify Payments, these are the requirements:

Checklist

• Company created in the United States
  • Business bank account set up in the United States
  • Expansion store (Plus only, second store for all other plans) with a United States location created 
  • Shopify Payments channel added to the United States Shopify expansion store
  • Shopify Payments channel set up with the required details
  • Documents required for Know Your Customer (KYC) ready to provide when requested
  • Shopify Hardware ordered from the US Shopify Hardware Store
  • Customize receipts to suit the US

To clarify some of this further - 

Shopify Payments is approved and enabled on a country based basis. So if your business is located in Canada but you want to transact in the USA, you need to have a Shopify Payments account that has been approved in the USA. Shopify Payments in Canada (or other countries) is not the same and doesn't allow for cross border transactions. 

The suggestion to create a secondary store (for non plus merchants) would be the the route to use if you want to use Shopify Payments to transact with. 

If you are using a third party payment gateway, the geo restrictions could be different and they may allow for this type of cross border selling. My personal recommendation for merchants looking to accept card payments in person without setting up a second store or trying to sign up for Shopify Payments in the US is to find a US based payment gateway that accepts in person payments with their own card reader. Moneris is a great example of this. You can use their card reader and your account with them to accept payments, while still creating and managing orders through the Shopify POS app. 

An alternate work around as well is to setup the USA as a market in your store admin and send customers a draft order invoice through your admin directly. They can then pay for the order online while picking up the item in person at your booth. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)
JackSprat
Tourist
4 0 3

I appreciate your attempt to address my problem, however I am Canadian as is my business and my banking. I need to somehow facilitate transactions that will ultimately end in a Canadian bank account.

The help desk has thus far not been helpful. While it may seem simply to them, from an insider's perspective, none have been able to provide a concise answer in a manner the layman can work with. I have been told to open a new web-store. Why would it be different than the one at present? Should it be configured differently? Crickets.

A "step by step" would be an amazing asset.

BoutiqueLG
Visitor
2 0 1

Did you find a solution? Trying to do the same: participate in a tradeshow in the US with a Canadian company. I do not want to enter credit cards manually in Shopify (which would be the option for now) for each transaction. I have also been told to open a new store, which can't be done because I don't have a EIN or SSN to verify my "US identity", even though I have access to a US bank account. Let me know if you did find something! Thanks

JackSprat
Tourist
4 0 3
Hi there, sorry for the delay. Short answer is no. What I am using is Monaris. As it is separate from my shopify, there is no connection between it and my inventory. Yes I have to manually key in card info, however there is no direct connection to my inventory. Jack

Lawrence_Colsel
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi  - did you find a solution to this? We are in a very similar situation - with a couple of differences (we have a US bank as well as a EIN), but share the issue of needing to have an operable POS

Shay
Shopify Staff
2928 455 601

This is an accepted solution.

Hey folks! Part of this process will depend on the payment gateway you are using. Shopify POS software will work anywhere, it is the hardware and payment gateway that creates the restrictions. You can still create orders using Shopify POS (connecting to your inventory, etc) and accept payment through an alternate means. 

If you are using Shopify Payments, these are the requirements:

Checklist

• Company created in the United States
  • Business bank account set up in the United States
  • Expansion store (Plus only, second store for all other plans) with a United States location created 
  • Shopify Payments channel added to the United States Shopify expansion store
  • Shopify Payments channel set up with the required details
  • Documents required for Know Your Customer (KYC) ready to provide when requested
  • Shopify Hardware ordered from the US Shopify Hardware Store
  • Customize receipts to suit the US

To clarify some of this further - 

Shopify Payments is approved and enabled on a country based basis. So if your business is located in Canada but you want to transact in the USA, you need to have a Shopify Payments account that has been approved in the USA. Shopify Payments in Canada (or other countries) is not the same and doesn't allow for cross border transactions. 

The suggestion to create a secondary store (for non plus merchants) would be the the route to use if you want to use Shopify Payments to transact with. 

If you are using a third party payment gateway, the geo restrictions could be different and they may allow for this type of cross border selling. My personal recommendation for merchants looking to accept card payments in person without setting up a second store or trying to sign up for Shopify Payments in the US is to find a US based payment gateway that accepts in person payments with their own card reader. Moneris is a great example of this. You can use their card reader and your account with them to accept payments, while still creating and managing orders through the Shopify POS app. 

An alternate work around as well is to setup the USA as a market in your store admin and send customers a draft order invoice through your admin directly. They can then pay for the order online while picking up the item in person at your booth. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog