Changing estimated USPS delivery time or add warning to shipping page?

mrlan
Tourist
7 0 6

As a U.S. based shop shipping mostly to U.S. customers, we have discovered the official or estimated shipping times listed below the shipping services on the shipping page are completely wrong. First Class packages may state 3-4 business days and Priority Mail 2 business days, but in reality it's 2x, 3x, or even 4x. I just dealt with a customer in the midwest who we shipped to on November 27 and she still hasn't gotten the package, and the tracking info has no updates in the past 10 days. We have also had many Priority Mail packages arrive more than a week after being ordered.

In the example below, there is no way the package will get to its destination in two business days, based on what customers in the same area have been experiencing in the past few weeks.

The Post Office on its app and webpage says there are COVID-related delays on top of holiday orders and I totally understand that, but is there any way for those estimates to be changed, or for us to put some warning text right on that page? I am using an announcement bar app to push people to Priority Mail Express or UPS 3-Day, but I am concerned it's not obvious enough. 

shopify shipping estimate wrong.png 

Replies 6 (6)

Sirkinglass
Visitor
2 0 1

Bump. I have this same issue

evcr
Tourist
3 0 0

It tell's Priority international customers 6 days, but in fact that could mean 6+ weeks. ABSURD

MC10
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello,

Did you find a solution for this issue? 

Thanks!

evcr
Tourist
3 0 0
No, unfortunately I did not 😕

BC-Shipping
Visitor
1 0 0

There is a way to add a notice to the "Shipping Method" section. Go to Online Store > Themes (hit the three dots on the right) then "Edit Language." Now, select "Checkout & System" from the list of options at the top. Scroll down to the "Checkout shipping" section and then the "Shipping method notice" area.

You'll see I added "NOTICE: USPS shipments are currently taking longer than provided estimates."

Screenshot 2022-02-03 111055.jpg

Schmidtc63
Shopify Partner
70 9 20

We ran into this. I wrote a little javascript/jquery in checkout.liquid to handle it:

$(async function(){
      if(window.location.href.indexOf(`step=shipping_method`)>-1||$(`[data-shipping-method]`).length||$(`title`).text().indexOf(`Shipping`)>-1) {
        if ($(`[data-shipping-method]`).length) {
          adjustShippingTransitTimes();
          return;
        }
        let kpDSMcount=0;
        while (!$(`[data-shipping-method]`).length&&kpDSMcount<100) {
          kpDSMcount++;
          await sleep(100);
        }
        if ($(`[data-shipping-method]`).length) {
            adjustShippingTransitTimes();
        }
      }
    });

function adjustShippingTransitTimes() {
        $(`[data-shipping-method-label-title]`).each(function() {
          const thisEl=$(this);
          const sEl=thisEl.find(`span.small-text`);
          const sText=sEl.text();
          if (sText.indexOf(`day`)>-1) {
            const textArr=sText.split(` `);
            const numDays=textArr[0];
            if(isNaN(numDays)) {
              return;
          }
          const newStr=`${numDays} - ${+numDays+2} business days`;
          sEl.text(newStr);
        }
      });
    }
    async function sleep(ms) {
      return new Promise(resolve => setTimeout(resolve, ms));
    }

It results in something like this:

Schmidtc63_1-1685723504137.png

This seems to cover it pretty well. For these rates in our ERP, which we use to generate shipping labels, the transit times were 2 days, 5 days and 2 days