FROM CACHE - en_header
Return management just got easier! We’ve launched Customer Self-Serve Returns to all Shopify merchants. Click here to learn more!

CLOSING THE STORE & REOPENING LATER

Solved
Gourav07
Excursionist
12 0 7

Hi Team,

I am planning to close my Shopify account as most of my sales at the moment are coming from other sources

But I want to close it for a year or two and do not want to opt for "pause & build" plan as that also charges be around USD 9 per month

My questions are as below :

1 - If I close the account, does that mean I will not be able to reopen it or reactivate the same later on i.e., after a year or two ?

2 - If it is possible to reopen / reactivate the account after a year or two, does my data remain the way it was ?

3 - If my data is not the way it is after I reopen, what can I do to ensure that when I reopen the account I have my data back up in my account ?

This is a main question / concern !

4 - Does Shopify have a plan wherein they do not charge us anything and we do not have to close the account ? Charges should be applicable only when we run the online store or it is live & active !

When I am not running an online store, why should I pay up just for having the account ? There should be another plan I suppose that helps the customers to stick with Shopify and when they decide on running the store and making it live, they pay up and choose a plan !

Before you say, that there is "Pause & Build". Honestly, I do not feel you should be charging for the same. Ideally charges should be for running an online active store 

With that being said, please do consider this for the future updates i.e., to may be introduce a plan wherein your clients are still with you but under an unpaid plan wherein they do not have to close the account just to stop the charges !

Hoping to receive my answers to the above listed queries. Post which I can decide on closing the store !

Thank You

Regards,
Gaurav

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2344 163 320

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there @Gourav07!

Don here from Shopify.

Thanks for outlining your circumstances and query here in such detail, that's great!

If you choose to not continue to pay for your Shopify store you would need to close it fully as the pause plans would not be free to use.

For closed stores here we can guarantee that your store data will be held on our servers for 90 days after closure before being removed.

In actuality, it is often much longer before a closed store's data would be removed from our servers, but we cannot give a specific guarantee beyond that 90 days.

If you would like to be able to return to Shopify after a prolonged absence and retain your store data and info, I'd recommend you check out our guide to backups and duplication here to see what info you can download and export before closing your store.

Thanks for sharing your feedback on how you would ideally like to see this work.

Let me know if you have any other questions about all things Shopify!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)
Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2344 163 320

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there @Gourav07!

Don here from Shopify.

Thanks for outlining your circumstances and query here in such detail, that's great!

If you choose to not continue to pay for your Shopify store you would need to close it fully as the pause plans would not be free to use.

For closed stores here we can guarantee that your store data will be held on our servers for 90 days after closure before being removed.

In actuality, it is often much longer before a closed store's data would be removed from our servers, but we cannot give a specific guarantee beyond that 90 days.

If you would like to be able to return to Shopify after a prolonged absence and retain your store data and info, I'd recommend you check out our guide to backups and duplication here to see what info you can download and export before closing your store.

Thanks for sharing your feedback on how you would ideally like to see this work.

Let me know if you have any other questions about all things Shopify!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog