Why isn't my Illinois-based Shopify store collecting tax?

offpint2020
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, I just started selling on Shopify and noticed that I have not been collecting tax even though its been set up. 

My business is located in ILLINOIS

Please, how can I rectify this so that we can charge the customers tax

Thanks

Gladys

Reply 1 (1)

JasonH
Community Moderator
160 34 69

Hi @offpint2020,

Welcome to the Community! Congratulations on your sales!

Can you check the shipping destination of the order in question? If it’s within Illinois, you can track the tax reports by following the steps:

1. Log in your store admin.
  2. Click Settings > Taxes and duties.
  3. In the Tax calculations section, click on view your report.

If the order was shipped to other states in the US, you can review your US tax liabilities and check if your business needs to collect taxes for that particular state. Please go to Settings > Taxes and duties page on your store backend and follow the steps:

1. In the Countries / Regions section, click on the location where you’re collecting taxes.
  2. In Manage tax liability, click show all liabilities.
  3. You can action on the taxes according to the three suggestions:
    • Action required
    • Monitoring required
    • No action required

I suggest consulting your local tax institution for specific information as offering tax advice is beyond our support scope. If you need help, you can hire freelancers for sales tax guidance for Shopify Store to verify that you charge your customers the correct tax rates, and to ensure you file and remit your taxes correctly.

Don’t forget to check the tax box for every variant. Feel free to go through our General set-up checklist to double-check all setup is in place.

Charge tax on products.png

Hope the information helps!

Jasoh | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog