Complaint- Discrimination

emagyne
15 0 0

I want to post my complaint here and I'm not done. Shopify term and conditions discriminate against the spiritual community. I have had a shopify store for a few years, loyal customer. They flag my store twice. Now they have disabled shopify payment gateway and tell me I can use another one but I can't deactivate it in my admin to switch to another third party payment gateway to add Stripe to be able to take credit card payments. I've been told, via email (so glad I have this untruth in email for a paper record) I sell fortune telling, spells and incantations on my site and I do not offer tarot readings, I do not sell "incantations" for those are spoken words over something where you have to be physically present and I don't sell services where I cast any spells. I sell intention candles and oils, that's it. So I have been wrongly labeled and targeted by shopify's banking partners and unable to switch payment gateways until I pay my Shopify capital balance and no one there helps. Shopify treats their long time loyal customers the worse. I was told this before going to them to setup my site but I did anyway because I've had sites in the past and NEVER encountered such issues as I have dealing with shopify. As soon as I can get this balance paid and get my products/services OFF, I will never look back at this judgemental, discriminating company again. It's religious discrimination and I am reporting and posting this on any and every platform that I can find and that I am on. A simple "prayer" is an incantation where you are praying or speaking over something for a desired result so yes, this is religious discrimination. I've already had my site viewed by someone from a legal firm and it has been agreed and I was advised that one email I received where I was "wrongfully" accused of doing and selling things that I don't....I spent all day yesterday from 9am to around 7pm going back and forth on chat with a representative to just go in circles then to be told the same thing they put in that discriminating email they sent to me. I'm taking it to the news next. I already have an appointment to speak with them. I am so tired of these big corporate companies treating the consumers that make their pockets fatter like we are nothing because if it wasn't for "us" there would be no shopify yet they treat people like they are nothing. No matter how long you've been a loyal customer and gave them your business. 

Replies 2 (2)

beauxbreaux
Shopify Partner
183 13 32

No one is bothered about a store selling oils and tarot cards or spiritual stores in general unless they are someone that lives under a rock. Why on earth would a company like Shopify care? How would they benefit from caring? I have stores with products that sell box cutting knives and rivet guns. I get lagged for knife and guns all the time because of the use of these words. These are constantly incorrectly flagged. It has nothing to do with their opinion, it is either a user or bot that flags the products. What I end up having to do is change the wording but still get the point across as these are not prohibited items. What religion are we even speaking of here? I am just curious about that one to be honest. 

Beaux Barker
Developer
emagyne
15 0 0

NO..their "banking partners" randomly review sites and I was emailed by their legal dept stating so. In the letter using words accusing me of stuff I don't even offer or sell based on their opinion. And I'm finding out now this is not the first time they've done this to certain people. I'm over it at this point. Currently moving to another platform that don't discriminate. They can have it. And I'm "spiritual" that's all one needs to know at this point.