Solved

Can I resend confirmation emails to a different address on Shopify?

rogilvie
6 0 0

Hi, how do we resend confirmation emails if someone wants the invoice sent to a different email? We've tried to  update the file with the new email address and it doesn’t give us the option to resend to the updated one. Is there not a way 

Accepted Solution (1)

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @rogilvie

Thanks so much for your question!

I can definitely see how it doesn't quite look like the new confirmation email is going to be sent to the updated address. Could you go through these steps once more for me and let me know what you're seeing on your end?

On your order page, under Customer > Contact information, select Edit to add the customer's new email address. It's up to you if you'd like to select "Update customer profile", but for our purposes it's not necessary.

11-54-74286-74853

Once you've saved your changes, you can scroll down to our order timeline to select Resend email as I've done below. You'll notice that the original email address is still shown here, but that's to be expected.

11-57-5479-68920

In the Resend order confirmation pop up that follows though, we should being seeing the updated email address indicated.

Let me know if that's not the case and we can explore why that might be.

June | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @rogilvie

Thanks so much for your question!

I can definitely see how it doesn't quite look like the new confirmation email is going to be sent to the updated address. Could you go through these steps once more for me and let me know what you're seeing on your end?

On your order page, under Customer > Contact information, select Edit to add the customer's new email address. It's up to you if you'd like to select "Update customer profile", but for our purposes it's not necessary.

11-54-74286-74853

Once you've saved your changes, you can scroll down to our order timeline to select Resend email as I've done below. You'll notice that the original email address is still shown here, but that's to be expected.

11-57-5479-68920

In the Resend order confirmation pop up that follows though, we should being seeing the updated email address indicated.

Let me know if that's not the case and we can explore why that might be.

rogilvie
6 0 0
Hi there,

Ok that will resolve some of our issues. But the other big issue is that we have multiple businesses that are owned by the same person. Then when we add them into shopify, you can't have the same email address under two files, causing a ton of issues.

For example: Under order #1861 & #1862- Lisa is the contact and provided payment for 2 separate orders. She wanted confirmations sent to her but her email cannot be used more than once in shopify. This is a big issue when merchants are needing copies of their invoice. We need a way to pull proper invoices from shopify to email them separately.

How can we resolve this issue?
June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Hi @rogilvie,

That's great to hear.

In cases where the same customer account manages multiple businesses, currently the best workflow is to manually re-send the confirmation email to the preferred address using the steps we followed above. Please let me know if you run into any challenges doing so!

I can definitely appreciate why the option to add a second email address to an existing customer account would be desirable though, and I've passed this feedback on to our team. While I cannot guarantee if or when we might see this option introduced to your admin, it's important that our team knows what a difference it would make for your business.

Thanks again for taking the time to share.

rogilvie
6 0 0
I am still having a hard time understanding how this will solve our problem. I understand that we can manually change the email address on the customer file and then resend the order confirmation. However, how do we resend the order confirmation when the first order confirmation was sent out via SMS? When we add an email address, there is still no option to send the order confirmation via email. Additionally, when we manually adjust the email address on the customer file, when we go to adjust the second customer file (same merchant) - it comes up as a duplicate email error and we are unable to save the email on file to then attempt even to send the order confirmation email.
June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Hi @rogilvie,

Thanks for that extra context.

In this scenario, was no email address entered when the order was originally placed? If that's the case, it's currently not possible to "resend" an order confirmation email when only an SMS notification was previously sent.

So while both email addresses and phone numbers can be manually edited on the order page, you'll only see the option to send/resend, for example, an SMS notification if a phone number had been added in the first place. The same can be said for email notifications.

Also, since it's currently not possible to have two email addresses on file for one customer, whenever you are editing the email address on an order page you will want to avoid selecting "Update customer profile", so as to not trigger the duplicate email error.

All that to say, in the scenario you're describing, this customer would want to enter the email address you have on file for them at checkout, and then you will edit that email address on their order page to resend the notification to the correct destination.

I can definitely appreciate that this is perhaps one or more extra steps then you were aiming for, so please do let me know if you have any questions and I'll be more than happy to clarify.