Consignment option

Mariahalfyard
1 0 1

I have consignees (retail stores) that are selling my product on consignment. I am sending them a number of items from my inventory and they provide me with a monthly report of the number of items (and description of items) sold per month. The items need to be taken out of inventory once sent off to the store but not billed for until sold. How can I manage my inventory on shopify with these types of customers?

Does Shopify have an option to track the consignment items and then invoice the consignees accordingly? Would I need to create an order for each item (multiple orders for the same retail store)?

I sell the same items directly to customers (B2C) via my website as well so I need to have both options available on the same platform.

MrP
Tourist
24 0 2

Hi Maria,

I am also looking for this option.  I'm wondering if you have since had a response or found a way to do this on shopify without the need for an app?

0 Likes
Borgioni
1 0 0

I'm looking for the same solution! Is there an app that would provide this capability? I'm surprised that Shopify have not suggested a solution to this yet...

0 Likes
MrP
Tourist
24 0 2

you need to create an order for the consignment stock but save it as a draft then when it sells you mark it as paid and fulfil it but obviously you don't send it

0 Likes
Dirk
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1110 128 244

Hey, @Mariahalfyard 

As @MrP mentioned, draft orders would be a way to go about this. But depending on how many consignees you have and the number of draft orders that you need to manually create, it may become time-consuming to do.

The easiest way to set up a consignment store would be to use a marketplace app. We have the following options in our app store:

Each one works differently but the potential is there to automatically pay 'commission' to your consigners. You could also let them set up an account to make it easier for them when they return. I would check directly with the app developers with regards to how the commission is paid out. I believe they use Paypal for that but they may not all be the same.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes