contact form and newletter code not working

aline808
Excursionist
21 0 7

My contact form and newsletter functions were working this morning, but now they are broken. Is Shopify having issues?

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 5.21.08 PM.png

Replies 3 (3)

aline808
Excursionist
21 0 7

ok. this is weird.

I went to my Online Store Preferences and turned off Enable Google reCAPTCHA on contact and comment forms and I am now able to use my contact and newsletter forms. reCAPTCHA is activated as well. Of course, this does not make sense if the check box is unselected. Can someone let me know what's going on?

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 6.02.11 PM.png

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@aline808 

The error typically stems from "bot" like activity which the captcha would stop from happening. If you have captcha enabled, do you get the error when testing from another internet connection such as mobile data? If no, then that would indicate that your IP has sent too many requests and will require a cooling-off period of 24 hours. 

If you're getting the error when using a different internet connection, then there may be something else going on with the form. Are you using a Shopify free theme, or a third-party theme?

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

aline808
Excursionist
21 0 7

It appears that when I reactivated the reCAPTCHA option today, that the forms are working correctly.

The interesting thing is that with reCAPTCHA activated on the backend, the functionality of reCAPTCHA is not working on the frontend. With the option unchecked for reCAPTCHA on the backend it works on the frontend. Something is not correct.

I am using a 3rd party theme from Clean Canvas called Symmetry. I recently upgraded to their 2.0 theme to be compatible with Shopify's 2.0 environment.