Solved

Convert order PickUp to delivery

DaveClark
Excursionist
39 0 10

Customer ordered pickup as we had a bug with our local delivery, now fixed.

How can I convert that order from pickup to delivery?

Accepted Solution (1)
Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @DaveClark,

It's not possible to change an order from pickup to delivery once it's already been created. The main reason for this is because the pickup doesn't require an address. 

From here the best next step is to create a clone draft order and then set paid to manual where you can put in the cost for the order which would have already been paid. You can see more about this in the duplicate an existing order help guide below:

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 11 (11)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Hi @DaveClark,

Great question. It's difficult to troubleshoot the next steps here without seeing the full order. Just to confirm, the customer has the product now which you delivered but the order status is showing as "Unfullfilled"? 

Can you give me any other details or let me know exactly what the order states, please? 

In the meantime I'll link the Managing your orders help guide from Shopify here which might have some further insight for you. 

Also, if you'd like to speak to someone in real time, don't hesitate to reach out to an advisor by logging in here. They will be able to verify your store and look at the order status directly to offer some more detailed assistance. 

DaveClark
Excursionist
39 0 10

Its stating unfulfilled.  With the options "Mark as picked up" and "Ready for pickup".  PDF attached.

I have all of the delivery details and want (will) deliver it but want to convert to "ready for delivery" / "mark as delivered".  I though that would be a simple step.

Not that it matters but I haven't delivered it yet.  

I discussed with the customer who brought the bug to my attention, I've fixed it and he knows I'm delivering tomorrow. 

Thanks for the other tips.

DaveClark
Excursionist
39 0 10

Hi Nick.   There was no solution given.

I cannot convert a pickup order to delivery.  Is it possible to do that?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @DaveClark,

It's not possible to change an order from pickup to delivery once it's already been created. The main reason for this is because the pickup doesn't require an address. 

From here the best next step is to create a clone draft order and then set paid to manual where you can put in the cost for the order which would have already been paid. You can see more about this in the duplicate an existing order help guide below:

DaveClark
Excursionist
39 0 10

I'll accept as a solution.  However, if the customer were to have included an address, the order could be converted from Pickup to Delivery.  One for your developers to ponder.

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

That's great feedback @DaveClark!

I'll make a feature request about this on your behalf so the development team is aware of it for future consideration! Thanks again.

HouseofHaute
Tourist
5 0 2

I posted this under another forum I ran across regarding this very issue:

Still no luck with this from Shopify, years and hundreds of complaints later. So frustrating. The only work around that I've been able to come up with that doesn't totally mess my book keeping bottom line up is to refund the order to a Gift Card. This works best with physical gift cards (although you waste one every time you have to use it for this reason).

Otherwise, for digital gift cards you'll have to write down the entire card number issued right away and process it immediately so that the customer doesn't decide to try and use it once it hits their email ( or change the customers email temporarily to one you control so you can have it emailed to you. Then change it back afterwards). Once the card is activated, recreate the order and use the gift card to pay for it. Any excess charges for shipping can be collected from the customer unless you decide to eat the cost and zero them out. I do not have the basic plan so I know if this is an option for that one. Also, it may be just as easy to allow the customer to use the gift card on the recreated draft order you send them. Either way, it's a work around that leaves less headaches than some of the other solutions. 

Justin_SDSupply
Visitor
1 0 1

Creating this as a duplicate order either creates an accounting issue (because you are creating another order and reporting it as paid, although no additional money has been received, also potentially creating a sales tax issue) or you create a reporting issue (I use reporting functions to track discounts). Of course you need an address to change an order from pick-up to shipping or delivery, but that should be an easy change to make if you have shipping addresses on file already. The bigger issue might be having to collect additional shipping, but thats not an issue becuase I can already send an invoice to a customer to collect the difference on order edits.

Converting an order form Pick-up to Shipping needs to be possible. This happens all the time, and my only option now is to edit the order and add shipping charges as a Custom Item, but then it doesn't allow me to create a shipping label through Shopify Shipping, I have to use a 3rd party app (Shippo) to create the label. Its a workaround, but not a pretty one.

DaveClark
Excursionist
39 0 10

I'm struggling to see why Shopify don't allow orders to be converted from Pickup to Delivery.  It can't be that hard, can it?

Smalltown2020
Visitor
1 0 0

I see this question ALL over Shopify for years now. There is clearly a huge demand for an easy way to switch between pickup and delivery. Please Shopify, work on this!

louisSFY
Visitor
1 0 0

Completely baffled why this super basic functionality is practically impossible or had unworkable solutions. Like @Justin_SDSupply said, cloning is not a real option.

You should easily be able to just add a shipping address > change to shipping > add a cost if you want to > customer gets a payment link. Done.